the home of the turntable

How to adjust speed on BIC 40z turntable

snap, crackle and pop

How to adjust speed on BIC 40z turntable

Postby sb001 » 07 Jun 2018 19:10

Hello all- first time poster here. I have recently acquired a BIC 40z changer turntable. Everything works great, except the speed is a smidge too fast. The table has no pitch control. I have opened up the turntable thinking there may be adjustable potentiometers and to my surprise there are absolutely NO circuit boards whatsoever. It appears to be completely 100% mechanical. While I marvel at the engineering :D , I have absolutely zero clue as to how to adjust the speed down a bit on this thing other than perhaps adding some thickness to the table platter or some such "hack" solution. Can anyone possibly assist me with the correct procedure to adjust this? BTW I am pretty positive I have the correct belt for this (it is a reddish orange color as the BIC belts were known to be, and last pretty much forever.) Thanks very much
sb001

United States of America

Re: HELP- how to adjust speed on BIC 40z turntable

Postby bhuston » 07 Jun 2018 21:08

look under the belt. If there's buildup under it on the platter, you need to remove that. Also check the motor pulley for same.
bhuston

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 07 Jun 2018 21:11

bhuston wrote:look under the belt. If there's buildup under it on the platter, you need to remove that. Also check the motor pulley for same.

Thank you- I actually cleaned the perimeter of the platter pulley (belt area) and motor pulley with some cleaning solution so I am pretty sure that isn't it. There is a chance I have the wrong belt I suppose, although everything i have seen about BIC belts say they are this color and last for year so I would assume this is the correct one and it hasn't been stretched, etc.
sb001

United States of America

Postby nat » 08 Jun 2018 02:00

Can you hear the higher speed? If it is only apparent when checkin the speed with a strobe disc, don't worry about it. Plenty of records were cut with slightly wrong speeds, but most of us don't have perfect pitch and don't worry about, at least not much, so if your table is a little fast, maybe it will correct the slow speed of some records. Obviously, it'll make fast records worse, so that comment is sort of ironic. Most people use speed controls as a complicated way of making a table act as if it is fixed speed.
If it bugs you, you might try using a dust bug - the drag sometimes slows tables a little, and there is some reason to suspect that tables were deliberately made to run a tiny bit too fast, both to compensate for dust bugs, and because too fast sounds more exciting than too slow, so people tend to favor it.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 03:46

It's a bit noticeable but not annoyingly so-- it's still listenable to me as is, but I'd say it's right on the fringe of being too fast to put up with. It does seem to vary from record to record- listening to some records it doesn't really cross my mind, but others -- like INXS Kick-- it is quite noticeable. Listening to that record was what got me to compare several songs on several albums to their digital counterparts and ALL of them play fast- so whether it's more or less noticeable to me on certain songs must depend mostly on the recording itself.
Bottom line is I just want it right. And I'd still like to know how to adjust the speed on it just to have the info.
sb001

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 08 Jun 2018 05:08

sb001 wrote:It's a bit noticeable but not annoyingly so-- it's still listenable to me as is, but I'd say it's right on the fringe of being too fast to put up with. It does seem to vary from record to record- listening to some records it doesn't really cross my mind, but others -- like INXS Kick-- it is quite noticeable. Listening to that record was what got me to compare several songs on several albums to their digital counterparts and ALL of them play fast- so whether it's more or less noticeable to me on certain songs must depend mostly on the recording itself.
Bottom line is I just want it right. And I'd still like to know how to adjust the speed on it just to have the info.

The 40Z has no speed adjustments.
It was their cheap budget model, and therefore manufacturing tolerences are broader.
Meaning speed accuracy, build quality, among other things.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 08 Jun 2018 14:07

I slowed down a belt driven table by adding a layer of Dymo tape to the platter.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 14:39

Spinner45 wrote:
It was their cheap budget model, and therefore manufacturing tolerences are broader.

That's funny-- for a "cheap budget model" it sure sounds amazingly good. And I'm sure it's not the only TT ever made lacking a speed control, so my question still stands. Your response is no Help whatsoever.
Last edited by sb001 on 08 Jun 2018 14:45, edited 2 times in total.
sb001

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 14:39

TudorTurtle wrote:I slowed down a belt driven table by adding a layer of Dymo tape to the platter.

Thank you for a helpful post, I will try something similar and see if it improves.
sb001

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 08 Jun 2018 19:23

sb001 wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:

That's funny-- for a "cheap budget model" it sure sounds amazingly good. And I'm sure it's not the only TT ever made lacking a speed control, so my question still stands. Your response is no Help whatsoever.

It's not "funny", it's the reality of manufacturing tolerences.
Tier levels of a company's various models have various quality control levels.
You pay more, you get more.
It's simple.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 20:31

Spinner45 wrote:
It's not "funny", it's the reality of manufacturing tolerences.
Tier levels of a company's various models have various quality control levels.
You pay more, you get more.
It's simple.

See the post above, where another poster suggests adding thickness to the table platter? THAT'S a helpful post. One that helps to answer my question. Not one that that doesn't address my question at all like yours. In fact it seems to me the only reason you chimed in here was to comment on what a "cheap" table I got, without having any individual experience with it whatsoever as it's clear you don't. And your black-and-white "higher cost always equals higher performance" opinion sure is short sighted. You'd be well advised to take your opinions elsewhere off my thread.
sb001

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 20:40

Let me put it another way "Spinner 45," in case you still don't get it:
My original question: "how can I adjust the speed down on my BIC 40z turntable?" Your response: "Boy you sure got a cheap table." Oh wait I did forget, you did also say "There's no way to adjust the speed on your table." Yet another poster comes along right after you and says "try adding thickness to the platter pulley." So there IS in fact a method to adjust the speed on my table, yet you were so consumed with talking about what a cheap table I got, it must have slipped your mind to be helpful.
Don't bother responding, we all know where you're coming from Mr. "I'm better than everyone else cause I spent way more on a TT than you all did."
sb001

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 08 Jun 2018 22:37

sb001 wrote:Let me put it another way "Spinner 45," in case you still don't get it:
My original question: "how can I adjust the speed down on my BIC 40z turntable?" Your response: "Boy you sure got a cheap table." Oh wait I did forget, you did also say "There's no way to adjust the speed on your table." Yet another poster comes along right after you and says "try adding thickness to the platter pulley." So there IS in fact a method to adjust the speed on my table, yet you were so consumed with talking about what a cheap table I got, it must have slipped your mind to be helpful.
Don't bother responding, we all know where you're coming from Mr. "I'm better than everyone else cause I spent way more on a TT than you all did."

Listen here.
Your defensiveness is uncalled for.
Your implications and twisting what I said is something dreamed up in your own mind.
Your comment saying: "Boy you sure got a cheap table." - I NEVER said that.
What I SAID was the 40Z was a bottom tier model, with a wider tolerence in its manufacturing.
Look at the various BIC models in the Library here and you'll know, before spouting off accusations.
And I never said anything about what turntables I have, or how good they were.
Get real already.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby sb001 » 08 Jun 2018 22:56

Spinner45 wrote:What I SAID was the 40Z was a bottom tier model, with a wider tolerence in its manufacturing.
Look at the various BIC models in the Library here and you'll know, before spouting off accusations.
Get real already.

Absolutely NONE of what you said is backed up factually. Here's the 40z page:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/bic/40z.shtml

Show me where on there it says anything about "bottom tier" or "wider tolerances" or anything that you decided to spew in this thread to try to back up your "spend more get more" drivel above. Or post me a link to something OTHER than opinion anywhere out there- MSRP price points, service procedures, anything.
And you are ENTIRELY MISSING THE POINT ANYWAY. You provided ZERO Help to answer my question whatsoever. You flat out said no speed adjuetment possible. Yet there IS a way as other posters have noted. Address THAT.
sb001

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 09 Jun 2018 04:08

sb001 wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:What I SAID was the 40Z was a bottom tier model, with a wider tolerence in its manufacturing.
Get real already.

Absolutely NONE of what you said is backed up factually. Here's the 40z page:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/bic/40z.shtml

Show me where on there it says anything about "bottom tier" or "wider tolerances" or anything that you decided to spew in this thread to try to back up your "spend more get more" drivel above. Or post me a link to something OTHER than opinion anywhere out there- MSRP price points, service procedures, anything.
And you are ENTIRELY MISSING THE POINT ANYWAY. You provided ZERO Help to answer my question whatsoever. You flat out said no speed adjuetment possible. Yet there IS a way as other posters have noted. Address THAT.

Doug G, a member here, knows BIC's, as do I.
He's stated back years ago the lineup, to quote:
"Oh, and BTW, the line up from least to most expensive was:
20Z, 40Z, 60Z, 80Z for the automatic models"

All the "lower" models had no speed adjustment, and were designed for budget-minded people that were not critical of "exact speed", thus resulting in lower costs to manufacture.
For the "picky" and "pitch sensitive" crowd, the better turntables employed fine speed control.
It's been that way since the 1950's for all turntables, and lord knows I've sold, seen, owned, and serviced enough of them over 45 years.
I don't speak from inexperience with these machines.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms