help needed for a glued headshell

snap, crackle and pop
Massimiliano

Re: help needed for a glued headshell

Post by Massimiliano » 16 Jun 2018 13:03

Yes, the wires go directly to the cartridge and the nut just retains the shell. It's a bit strange, but the MTT turntable was the first Lesa's attempt to join the professional market, so this could be a false step.
The SME hypothesis is attractive and tempting, but I'd like to try the factory-fresh solution first :lol:

Thank You very much.
Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Massimiliano,

I'm coming to this a bit late but my question is similar to that of Cafe Latte. Why are the wires comming out of the arm? I was expecting a socket similar to that of SME and a good many Japanese turntables. Are the wires expected to go directly to the cartridge and the nut just retains the shell? I suppose if it is solid that is OK, but it is sure more trouble to swap headshells than with the SME approach.

Arm geometry is not my greatest expertise but I'm wondering if putting an SME type socket on the arm and using an SME type shell might not be a good approach. Here is an SME socket on eBay now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SME-tonearm-he ... sid=p20603

There are all sorts of SME type headshells on eBay at various prices.

Someone with more arm geometry expertise than me should comment on this.

Phil

Massimiliano wrote:
It was Italy I knew it, no way was it thread lock, great news!! Did you manage to clean it all up?
Chris
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm doing that now. The headshell is free of the tonearm.

What kind of cartridge is that? I've never heard of ERC.

nebulix

Post by nebulix » 25 Oct 2018 09:29

Inside that knurled nut is a threaded black plastic bushing that extends into the arm from the headshell. It's all part of the inside "lining" of the headshell that is black plastic. For sure that will melt with heat. I've had mine apart, that's how I know.

nebulix

Post by nebulix » 25 Oct 2018 09:40

There is no socket in the arm. It's a real pain to change carts. You have to unscrew the nut and the heashell kind of dangles there. If you're not careful, you'll pull the wires off. But I guess you know that by now, ha ha.

As you can see, I trimmed the "darth vader" headshell down for less mass, and a bit more modern look.

I eventually replaced the whole arm with a Rega RB250. I still have the original arm in good condition, if you should need one.
Bella.Lesa.11.jpg
(73.69 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
_DSC5907.jpg
(120.2 KiB) Downloaded 18 times