the home of the turntable

KD500 tonearm

snap, crackle and pop

KD500 tonearm

Postby Larry T » 26 May 2018 18:31

I’m looking at a KD500 at an online auction. It powers up and turns but the phono cables and feet are gone. Are the cables universal for all tonearms? I’ll try to post a pic of it. The manual says the cable plugs into the tonearm but I know this model didn’t com with one so you could pick your own along with cartridge. I’m not sure how to bid this. The cartridge is an ADC ZLM and I don’t know the tonearm models we’ll enough. I tried posting a picture but it said the file was to big. Any Help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Larry T

United States of America

Re: KD500 tonearm

Postby Coffee Phil » 26 May 2018 23:08

Hi Larry T,

Welcome to the forum.

As you noted the KD 500 was sold without the tonearm. The lack of feet will reduce the value however there are aftermarket feet to be had. How are the dust cover and hinges?

These are nice machines so they are worth putting some effort into.

Cables are not universal between brands of arms so that may have to be fabricated.

Phil

Larry T wrote:I’m looking at a KD500 at an online auction. It powers up and turns but the phono cables and feet are gone. Are the cables universal for all tonearms? I’ll try to post a pic of it. The manual says the cable plugs into the tonearm but I know this model didn’t com with one so you could pick your own along with cartridge. I’m not sure how to bid this. The cartridge is an ADC ZLM and I don’t know the tonearm models we’ll enough. I tried posting a picture but it said the file was to big. Any Help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby nat » 27 May 2018 23:12

Do you know if the arm is the Kenwood that came with the 550, or another arm? (The only difference between the 500 and the 550 was the arm, so generally both were called the 500 with no effort to distinguish them.)
If it is the Kenwood, or another Japanese arm, chances are good that it uses the standard Japanese tonearm plug, which looks rather like a DIN plug, but doesn't appear to actually be one. They are readily available, but not cheap. Other arms, European or American may take the same plug, or RCAs, or various other options.
A picture of the table with the arm would Help if you can shrink the file size.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby krolf » 28 May 2018 00:06

I have recently restored an KD-500 that I bought cheap for many years ago.
The unit came only with one of the arm boards and a broken phone cable in one of the channels.

If I'm not remember wrong the KD-500 was delivered with just 2 arm boards and no arm.
One with a centered hole that was a perfect match for the Grace G-707 arm, and one with a hole that could fit different arms with different lengths.

Most of the players back then was usually fitted with Grace arms, so it is a big chance that you will recognize the arm from pictures online.
When you search for Grace cables on eBay you will find cables from 99 USD and up.
Do not buy a used original is my advice here.
The original cable had a very thin center core on the L and R signal cable, and they had a tendency to break where you had the bend under the player.

The cable is a little different than cables used widely today from Ortofon and Pro-Ject and so on.
The Grace arm is fitted with a female connector at the bottom, where arms today usually comes with male connectors.
Also on the Grace arm they inverted the center and ground in each channel so it is not pin compatible either.

If you are handy and find a male connector on eBay or similar, you could do as I did and rebuild the arm with a male connector and reroute the tonearm wires to the normal pinout used today.
Then you have a lot of more options for buying cables, and also a lot of cheaper alternatives.

Original feets are at eBay for about 25 USD for all 4.
krolf

Norway

Postby Larry T » 28 May 2018 00:13

I posted a picture on AK and was told it’s a Black Widow with the ADC ZLM. It appears to be in working order minus the feet and RCA cable. It’s dirty and dusty but would be a good project for me. I’ll have to ask around to see what kind of cleaners I can use on that synthetic slate. I know all components are pretty highly regarded and prices are high for mint units but this one was put away wet. We’ll see how the bidding goes.
Thanks for the info.
Larry T

United States of America

Postby Coffee Phil » 28 May 2018 02:21

Hi Larry T,

Yes, the KD 500 come with two arm mounting plates. One for an SME (and Black Widow) and one for the Grace. I started with mine using a Grace 940 which is a viscous damped unipivot. I am now using an SME.

I have always lusted for a Black Widow. If your is in any sort of restorable shape I would consider a swap for the Grace.

Phil

Larry T wrote:I posted a picture on AK and was told it’s a Black Widow with the ADC ZLM. It appears to be in working order minus the feet and RCA cable. It’s dirty and dusty but would be a good project for me. I’ll have to ask around to see what kind of cleaners I can use on that synthetic slate. I know all components are pretty highly regarded and prices are high for mint units but this one was put away wet. We’ll see how the bidding goes.
Thanks for the info.
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Larry T » 01 Jun 2018 13:58

Bidding ended last night and I got it for 148.50$. To recap, KD500 w/good dustcover, black widow w/ ADC cartridge. I need feet and a phono cable. I’ve already got the manuals and will do the caps and pots. What can I use to clean that syn slate? It’s got some staining but I don’t want to use to harsh a cleaner and make it worse. Also, should I lube the motor? The manual says it’s lifetime lubed but I don’t think they expected them to be around 40 odd years. Is it sealed or can I give it a few drops of something light? Thanks for all the Help, I’ll have my kid show me how to post pix. One more question. I was wanting to put the KD500 badge back on. I think the heat in an attic got to it because it’s all crooked and slid down the front so it’s almost falling off. I was thinking about the 3M trim adhesives. Good choice or is there better?
Larry T
Larry T

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 01 Jun 2018 15:08

Nice win. Yes I would lube the motor. It's not hard and doesn't seem to make anything worse!
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Coffee Phil » 01 Jun 2018 17:55

Hi Larry T,

Congratulations! A KD 500 with a Black Widow arm for ~ $150! I'd say you scored!

First off +1 to what Bill said. In fact I want to thank him again for posting this: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96650&hilit=Lube+KD+%2500 and inspiring me to lube mine. I had thought that it was some proprietary sealed bearing and I was intimidated of messing with it. It is really not difficult but you do have to move the optical speed sensor out of the way before pulling the motor rotor out. Use caution there as you don't want to mess that up. When you are putting the rotor back it will take some time to settle down to the correct height to where you can put the optical sensor back in place. Don't panic, it will get there in a few hours.

I would seek out a cleaner for Corrian counters tops to clean the plinth.

I do encourage spray cleaner in the controls, but for the caps, I'm a don't fix it if it isn't broken sort of guy. Mine still has all the OEM power supply caps and I've done some serious hacking on mine. It is now four speed, quartz locked.

Here is a 14" Pathe 80 RPM record playing on mine:

That speed is not quartz locked as when I did the hack it did not occur to me that I'd ever be into Edisons and other 80 RPM records. I need to use 78 variable speed and turn up the speed for these records.

Do post pictures.

Phil

Larry T wrote:Bidding ended last night and I got it for 148.50$. To recap, KD500 w/good dustcover, black widow w/ ADC cartridge. I need feet and a phono cable. I’ve already got the manuals and will do the caps and pots. What can I use to clean that syn slate? It’s got some staining but I don’t want to use to harsh a cleaner and make it worse. Also, should I lube the motor? The manual says it’s lifetime lubed but I don’t think they expected them to be around 40 odd years. Is it sealed or can I give it a few drops of something light? Thanks for all the Help, I’ll have my kid show me how to post pix. One more question. I was wanting to put the KD500 badge back on. I think the heat in an attic got to it because it’s all crooked and slid down the front so it’s almost falling off. I was thinking about the 3M trim adhesives. Good choice or is there better?
Larry T
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 02 Jun 2018 11:04

OK Phil, we now have a critical mass of owners to dust off your quartz lock mods and publish them :)
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Coffee Phil » 02 Jun 2018 18:12

Hi Bill,

Woops! I did promise to do that, didn't I?

What I have is a bunch of hand drawn schematics. I'll scan them and post them with some explanation of each of them.

The circuitry is metal gate CMOS small and medium scale integrated circuits which were more common in the eighties but I believe still available today. The analog parts are BiFet op-amps which I'm pretty sure are still available.

When I was doing this I noticed the that the shutter wheel was a bit off center, giving some FM on the feedback signal. I did not feel comfortable messing with it so I went for a two bandwidth approach. When it is out of lock it reverts to a wider bandwidth then when locked after a time delay reverts to a narrow BW. This was out of fear that the wide BW would cause the platter to track the FM giving wow. This is analogous to having a belt drive with a stiff belt to start, then reverting to a resilient belt when up to speed.

Phil

billshurv wrote:OK Phil, we now have a critical mass of owners to dust off your quartz lock mods and publish them :)
Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Postby Larry T » 08 Jun 2018 13:45

Here’s an update on my project. Ordered a new cable but I’m in the middle of buying and selling a house so this might be put on the back burner for a while. I do want to ask about the tonearm though. It’s the 2piece model and there is some play where the two halves come together. How are these connected. I’ve downloaded the manual and any pics I could find. In a couple it looks like some sort of collar on the arm. What’s my best approach to making it solid? I’m open to ideas. I’d like to research this a little more but I can learn more in a few posts from you guys than I can all day googling it. Just no time lately.
Larry T

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms