the home of the turntable

Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 29 May 2018 22:12

Gelid wrote:
KentT wrote:
Audie wrote:You are forgetting Drewan77's post on Page2, 6th post down. He has used 2 different Technics SL 1200s and a SL1600 with the Grado Prestige 2 with absolutely no hum across, even at high volume.
The AT LP120 is said to be a copy of the Technics.

With the AT LP120, you would be in the sweet position to choose from 3 cartridges: Your Grado, the AT 95E that comes with the LP120 and the Nagaoka MP110 that you have said you may prefer to the Grado.

Don't assume the AT-PL 120 is a Technics. It looks like one, but the motor is different, the engineering and build is different, and the tonearm is not quite up to Technics standard for build, engineering, or consistency from sample to sample. It likely will be somewhat OK. But also realize Grados like lowish mass, damped tonearms, for best tracking. Not dissing the Audio-Technica here, for many it's the best you can get today for it's price, a good example is good for that price. But today, the Technics kept the quality when re-introduced, but is now $2000 and change, so consider why the AT is cheaper. Precision engineering, and build quality of Technics standard on today's smaller scale retooled, is severely expensive.

Just for the record (no pun intended!) the gentleman that made that great video ArcaneAardvark referenced about removing the preamp also has another video titled "Cartridge Journey" about what he went through to find a cartridge that he liked on the AT-LP120. In that video he says that when he tried the Grado Gold it hummed.

Good to know! I missed that.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 29 May 2018 22:14

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:There are accessory end-of-play arm lifters that will work on almost and turntable. They won't shut the turntable off, but they will lift the tonearm and save stylus wear. They can be had for under a hundred dollars. Just a thought.

Dave

I wasn't aware of those, that's definitely an option I'll consider.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby hurdy_gurdyman » 07 Jul 2018 15:42

KentT wrote:
Audie wrote:You are forgetting Drewan77's post on Page2, 6th post down. He has used 2 different Technics SL 1200s and a SL1600 with the Grado Prestige 2 with absolutely no hum across, even at high volume.
The AT LP120 is said to be a copy of the Technics.

With the AT LP120, you would be in the sweet position to choose from 3 cartridges: Your Grado, the AT 95E that comes with the LP120 and the Nagaoka MP110 that you have said you may prefer to the Grado.

Don't assume the AT-PL 120 is a Technics. It looks like one, but the motor is different, the engineering and build is different, and the tonearm is not quite up to Technics standard for build, engineering, or consistency from sample to sample. It likely will be somewhat OK. But also realize Grados like lowish mass, damped tonearms, for best tracking. Not dissing the Audio-Technica here, for many it's the best you can get today for it's price, a good example is good for that price. But today, the Technics kept the quality when re-introduced, but is now $2000 and change, so consider why the AT is cheaper. Precision engineering, and build quality of Technics standard on today's smaller scale retooled, is severely expensive.
Thought I should comment on this about tonearms for Grado. I spoke (email) recently with Grado (not sure who answered me). He said that, from the beginning, all Grado cartridges were designed for a medium-mass tonearm.

Dave
hurdy_gurdyman

Postby raphaelmabo » 07 Jul 2018 16:40

Grados cartridges works on low mass tonearms, but not ultra low mass. A dynamic compliance of 20 means they sits on the line between medium and high compliance. This is the same as Ortofon 2M series. There shouldn’t be a problem with most tonearms today. Belt drive or direct drive has nothing to do with compliance, neither has if the plinth is suspended or not.
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby justjed0001 » 09 Jul 2018 02:58

Personally, I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for at the price you're looking for. Almost certainly not in a new table. An alternative viewpoint: Try to find a Technics SL-1600 MkII automatic, or SL-1700 MkII semi-automatic DD in good shape.(or the SL-1800 MkII, if you don't mind a manual) Same motor as the SL-1200 MkII, as far as I know, so less chance of hum, and simpler, without the DJ features. Good medium-mass tonearm. Better build quality than the AT LP-120. And, they're suspended decks.

I have an SL-1800, cost me $175 last year. It's on a 4 ft tall stereo stand in a manufactured home with carpet over particle-board floors. No slab, I'm almost three feet off the ground. Footfalls could be a serious problem, but they're not. My cat has jumped up on the turntable while a record was playing, without skipping. And, most importantly, it gets a lot out a cartridge!

Just a thought...
justjed0001

United States of America

Previous

Return to Turntables and Tonearms