the home of the turntable

Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 10:29

After some more research, I think I may actually go with a Nagoka MP-110 instead of the Grado. I may make another thread. Thank you to all those who have helped me on this one, I hope it won't annoy you that I'm probably changing my mind on the cartridge.
Last edited by ArcaneAardvark on 21 May 2018 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby tlscapital » 21 May 2018 10:35

ArcaneAardvark wrote:
johnnywalker wrote:If your mind is set on the Grado, stay away from direct drive TTs. Grados are unshielded and are likely to cause a hum on a direct drive, especially as the cartridge nears the spindle/motor.

Good to know. That narrows down the search a bit.

My understanding is that the direct drive motor magnetic field under the platter will pollute the unshielded cartridge. But that could be significantly reduced I believe with some isolation and dampening of multi layers of mats AND that should require a tonearm whose VTA can be adjusted significantly as well.

Otherwise, if I were you to be on all the safe sides with your unshielded cartridge I would set for a low voltage powered motor with an external PSU wall wart with long mains both ways. Belt drive have also the advantage to be so quiet. The Thorens TD 146 & 147 and some 166 & 167 have 18 volts motor for such purpose.
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 10:42

tlscapital wrote:
ArcaneAardvark wrote:
johnnywalker wrote:If your mind is set on the Grado, stay away from direct drive TTs. Grados are unshielded and are likely to cause a hum on a direct drive, especially as the cartridge nears the spindle/motor.

Good to know. That narrows down the search a bit.

My understanding is that the direct drive motor magnetic field under the platter will pollute the unshielded cartridge. But that could be significantly reduced I believe with some isolation and dampening of multi layers of mats AND that should require a tonearm whose VTA can be adjusted significantly as well.

Otherwise, if I were you to be on all the safe sides with your unshielded cartridge I would set for a low voltage powered motor with an external PSU wall wart with long mains both ways. Belt drive have also the advantage to be so quiet. The Thorens TD 146 & 147 and some 166 & 167 have 18 volts motor for such purpose.

Hmm, that makes sense. If I go with the Grado, I will look for a belt drive. I'm leaning toward going with another cartridge though; the Nagoka MP-110. I may make another thread for that. Thank you, you've been very helpful.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 22:53

I looked at the Thorens tables you mentioned on Ebay. Unfortunately those are out of my price range.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 21 May 2018 23:00

I'm really leaning towards that Sony I mentioned. It may have been low end at the time, but it has a nice wood plinth and I'm thinking it will outperform anything modern I can get for the same price. If I get it, I will probably run the Audio-Technica cartridge it comes with for a while. https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 55748.html
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby Drewan77 » 22 May 2018 09:06

Within the past 4 months I have heard Grado Prestige 2s on a Technics SL1600 (2 Black), SL1200 Mk2 (2 Red) as well as my own SL1200G (2 Black) and there is absolutely no hum on any of these DDs at any point across an LP side, including the run out groove & at high volume.
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby Audie » 22 May 2018 12:28

If the Sony has adjustable arm height, the Sony would be a good choice for a budget starter turntable. However, I am a little biased towards Sony. I think they have good performance for the money, and the one you are looking at looks great and has been serviced.

I am an old guy, so nostalgia may be clouding my judgment. :?:
Last edited by Audie on 22 May 2018 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Audie
contributor

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 12:35

Audie wrote:If the Sony has adjustable arm height, the Sony would be a good choice for a budget starter turntable. However, I am a little biased towards Sony. I think they have good performance for the money, looks great and has been serviced.

I have to admit I initially thought $250 was a fairly high budget, but I'm finding out otherwise. This wouldn't really be a starter for me, I've been using a Garrard 40 MKII for about 5 years. I'm starting to wonder if the Sony will be any better :-k .At least it has a manual cueing arm.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby Audie » 22 May 2018 13:03

sorry, spoke too soon . Checked the manual- no arm height adjustment, so no go in my view.

You need not be in a hurry, as you have the Garrard. I suggest you wait and save while you research for something decent that is an upgrade. I saved six months to buy my first Hi Fi.
Audie
contributor

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 14:06

Audie wrote:You need not be in a hurry, as you have the Garrard. I suggest you wait and save while you research for something decent that is an upgrade. I saved six months to buy my first Hi Fi.

I think you're right, I should probably save up for a Rega Planar 1 or something.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby tlscapital » 22 May 2018 14:17

ArcaneAardvark wrote:I looked at the Thorens tables you mentioned on Ebay. Unfortunately those are out of my price range.

eVilBay is expensiveI agree. Better of to browse on local private adds and in stores. There are dedicated sites for phono gear in the USA I believe.

IMHO a cosmetically not too great looking (used/broken dust cover & scratched plinth) Thorens TD146 or 147 (18 Volts motor for you unshielded cartridge) but with perfect motor and tonearm should be affordable for $300 or so. Needing only at first some cleaning and lube it could be "plugged & play" on the spot. Then with time, little money here and there a new plinth, better and/or belt, dust cover...
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 15:44

tlscapital wrote:
ArcaneAardvark wrote:I looked at the Thorens tables you mentioned on Ebay. Unfortunately those are out of my price range.

eVilBay is expensiveI agree. Better of to browse on local private adds and in stores. There are dedicated sites for phono gear in the USA I believe.

IMHO a cosmetically not too great looking (used/broken dust cover & scratched plinth) Thorens TD146 or 147 (18 Volts motor for you unshielded cartridge) but with perfect motor and tonearm should be affordable for $300 or so. Needing only at first some cleaning and lube it could be "plugged & play" on the spot. Then with time, little money here and there a new plinth, better and/or belt, dust cover...

I'll keep an eye out for those!
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby cats squirrel » 22 May 2018 16:33

Hope you don't my opinion, here, but you seem to be going about this the wrong way. I suggest you look for the best turntable/arm you can afford, then a cartridge. You can always start with a cheaper cart, and upgrade as and when. A good quality turntable/arm with an inexpensive cart is going to sound better than an Ortofon Blue on a Crosley (other crap turntables are available). :wink:
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 16:52

cats squirrel wrote:Hope you don't my opinion, here, but you seem to be going about this the wrong way. I suggest you look for the best turntable/arm you can afford, then a cartridge. You can always start with a cheaper cart, and upgrade as and when. A good quality turntable/arm with an inexpensive cart is going to sound better than an Ortofon Blue on a Crosley (other crap turntables are available). :wink:

I see your point, I do intend to do basically what you suggest. I just want to make sure that what I get will be compatible with the cartridge I want, once I am ready to upgrade.
Last edited by ArcaneAardvark on 22 May 2018 17:19, edited 2 times in total.
ArcaneAardvark

United States of America

Postby Audie » 22 May 2018 16:58

I would refine cat squirrel's suggestion as: look for the Turntable with the best Arm. ( with height adjustment of course :) The Arm is crucial to getting the best performance from the Cartridge.
Audie
contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Turntables and Tonearms