Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

snap, crackle and pop
cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Best turntable for $250 or less for Grado green2

Post by cats squirrel » 22 May 2018 17:02

Audie wrote:I would refine cat squirrel's suggestion as: look for the Turntable with the best Arm. ( with height adjustment of course :) The Arm is crucial to getting the best performance from the Cartridge.
yes, I totally agree, the arm is key.

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 22 May 2018 17:20

Audie wrote:I would refine cat squirrel's suggestion as: look for the Turntable with the best Arm. ( with height adjustment of course :) The Arm is crucial to getting the best performance from the Cartridge.
I'll keep that in mind. Do the Thorens models suggested by tlscapital have this feature?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 22 May 2018 17:34

ArcaneAardvark wrote:
I'll keep that in mind. Do the Thorens models suggested by tlscapital have this feature?
Yes !

hurdy_gurdyman

Post by hurdy_gurdyman » 23 May 2018 02:53

The Garrard Synchro-Lab 95b tonearm is better than many give it credit for. Medium mass and a good match for a Grado. I ran a Grado Blue in mine for several months and it tracked remarkably well. You might even keep your eyes alert for a Garrard Lab 80 in working condition like the one in my avatar. Similar tonearm with better bearings, plus a heavy platter with a great bearing. I like both of my Garrard's, but am only using the Lab 80 these days. I'm using a Shure M95ED tracking at 1.25 grams, something a lot of naysayers said wouldn't work. The arms just look clumsy, they are really very versatile.

Dave

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 23 May 2018 03:08

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:The Garrard Synchro-Lab 95b tonearm is better than many give it credit for. Medium mass and a good match for a Grado. I ran a Grado Blue in mine for several months and it tracked remarkably well. You might even keep your eyes alert for a Garrard Lab 80 in working condition like the one in my avatar. Similar tonearm with better bearings, plus a heavy platter with a great bearing. I like both of my Garrard's, but am only using the Lab 80 these days. I'm using a Shure M95ED tracking at 1.25 grams, something a lot of naysayers said wouldn't work. The arms just look clumsy, they are really very versatile.

Dave
I actually have a Synchro Lab 95b with a vintage Grado cartridge set up at my parents house! The entire auto mechanism is very broken though, and as a result the tonearm doesn't return either. I think it would take a Garrard expert to fix, because I had a shop and very handy uncle tell me it was irreparable.

hurdy_gurdyman

Post by hurdy_gurdyman » 23 May 2018 03:17

They are complex, but people do service them.

Here's another thought. Belt drive decks with a loosely suspended sub-chassis will drive you crazy if you have a wooden suspended floor. I tried for months to get a Thorens TD160 to work on my sturdy stand. The cat jumping off the window sill, or the dog walking across the floor would actually cause groove jumping. Finally sold it and stuck with DD or ID. If you have a concrete floor, suspended sub-chassis' can be very good. A wall shelf can work, too.

Dave

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 23 May 2018 03:28

tlscapital wrote:eVilBay is expensiveI agree. Better of to browse on local private adds and in stores. There are dedicated sites for phono gear in the USA I believe.
Ebay is great sometimes, but it can definitely be expensive and problematic at times. One of my hobbies is collecting retro video games, and Ebay has pretty much ruined the chance of finding good deals on them. These days everyone has a smart phone, and they look to see what an item sells for on Ebay and then charge accordingly.

I did find a website that specializes in selling refurbished Thorens and AR turntables, they have a TD147 for $625 shipped.

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 23 May 2018 03:31

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:Here's another thought. Belt drive decks with a loosely suspended sub-chassis will drive you crazy if you have a wooden suspended floor. I tried for months to get a Thorens TD160 to work on my sturdy stand. The cat jumping off the window sill, or the dog walking across the floor would actually cause groove jumping. Finally sold it and stuck with DD or ID. If you have a concrete floor, suspended sub-chassis' can be very good. A wall shelf can work, too.

Dave
Hmm... I do have a wood floor, but I don't know if it is suspended or not, the house was built in the 1890's. I have had my Garrard skip many times from me moving around the room. I just figured it was normal, and now I try to sit still when using it.

hurdy_gurdyman

Post by hurdy_gurdyman » 23 May 2018 03:48

ArcaneAardvark wrote:
hurdy_gurdyman wrote:Here's another thought. Belt drive decks with a loosely suspended sub-chassis will drive you crazy if you have a wooden suspended floor. I tried for months to get a Thorens TD160 to work on my sturdy stand. The cat jumping off the window sill, or the dog walking across the floor would actually cause groove jumping. Finally sold it and stuck with DD or ID. If you have a concrete floor, suspended sub-chassis' can be very good. A wall shelf can work, too.

Dave
Hmm... I do have a wood floor, but I don't know if it is suspended or not, the house was built in the 1890's. I have had my Garrard skip many times from me moving around the room. I just figured it was normal, and now I try to sit still when using it.
The Garrard is not prone to skipping easy. That old of a wooden house could cause real issues just walking back to your chair. I'm thinking direct drive may be the best bet. A fairly heavy built Technics or Denon comes to mind. Maybe even put a heavy built plinth under it could Help. My house was a really big challenge. I finally built a 60 pound plinth for my Rek-O-Kut Rondine B12 and solved that issue. I've moved since then and have a stiffer floor now.

Dave

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 23 May 2018 11:19

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:
ArcaneAardvark wrote:

Dave
The Garrard is not prone to skipping easy. That old of a wooden house could cause real issues just walking back to your chair. I'm thinking direct drive may be the best bet. A fairly heavy built Technics or Denon comes to mind. Maybe even put a heavy built plinth under it could Help. My house was a really big challenge. I finally built a 60 pound plinth for my Rek-O-Kut Rondine B12 and solved that issue. I've moved since then and have a stiffer floor now.

Dave
You make some good points. This is a whole nother issue I hadn't thought of. There is a Kenwood KD-3055 in a local shop with a heavy fake marble plinth, would that be any good? Going with a direct drive may prevent the use of the Grado cartridge though.

hurdy_gurdyman

Post by hurdy_gurdyman » 23 May 2018 13:17

I've never owned a Kenwood table, but have heard good things about them. Would they let you try it out and see how it works?

Dave

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 23 May 2018 13:25

hurdy_gurdyman wrote:I've never owned a Kenwood table, but have heard good things about them. Would they let you try it out and see how it works?

Dave
Yes, they would.

Audie

Post by Audie » 23 May 2018 17:06

I think the Kenwood KD 3055 is an automatic belt drive turntable. The arm is motor driven- these can be a problem at some time. I do not know if it can be operated manually if the small motor fails.
It should be a cheap buy for temporary use until you save for something better, if you do not like it. The bonded marble base would Help with foot falls.

ArcaneAardvark

Post by ArcaneAardvark » 24 May 2018 08:36

Audie wrote:I think the Kenwood KD 3055 is an automatic belt drive turntable. The arm is motor driven- these can be a problem at some time. I do not know if it can be operated manually if the small motor fails.
It should be a cheap buy for temporary use until you save for something better, if you do not like it. The bonded marble base would Help with foot falls.
I think I'll stick with my Garrard for now, I'm not really looking for something I will have to upgrade in the future. Footfalls are a problem, but I'm used to tip toeing around while listening.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 24 May 2018 10:56

ArcaneAardvark wrote:
Audie wrote:I think the Kenwood KD 3055 is an automatic belt drive turntable. The arm is motor driven- these can be a problem at some time. I do not know if it can be operated manually if the small motor fails.
I think I'll stick with my Garrard for now, I'm not really looking for something I will have to upgrade in the future. Footfalls are a problem, but I'm used to tip toeing around while listening.
That is I believe a wise attitude. If you want to set your Grado Green cartridge on a turntable that will not challenge it with motor issues and with a tonearm that will grace it, wait for the right opportunity to knock.

As for your footfall issue, don't you have the room and/or the solid wall to have a wall mount base for your turntable ? It can be cheap and improved (dampened) and easy to fix with most of the time instant result.