Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...

Post by vinyl master » 17 May 2018 02:18

Yeah, I know, but I did happen to find the great #30 recently, in case inquiring minds want to know... :roll: Now, keep in mind, I'm not sure if it's going to stay #30, as I was hoping for something even more special, but since it's here, I'm liking it more and more, as I think of the possibilities for it... :-k One possibility is this...My radio repairman of choice Chris is working on this little Philco radio for me...

It needed a new cord, a new dial plate and I had him source some original (or reproduction) knobs, in case I ever decide to sell it...I still have an affinity for the acorn knobs, even though they are not original, but you know me...I'm a completist! :mrgreen: He's had it for a few months now, as I told him I wasn't in a hurry to get it back...and I'm considering offering my latest TT to him in exchange for the work done on it...Regarding the TT, I could also gift it or sell it to another newbie in search of a good table that won't ruin their records...I won't say exactly what I paid, only to say that it was a good deal again that I couldn't refuse...It was a local buy and since the wife gifted her husband with a surprise new TT for Christmas, he had to let this one go, even though he'd had it since the beginning...A one-owner machine and he'd used it only recently just before Christmas 2017...I did get a nice stylus for the AT4414S cartridge that he put on it from Gary@thevoiceofmusic.com. As I've sat with it a while and thought about it, though, I have some ideas of what I might do if I keep it, which I'll detail in the future, I hope...And it would be a nice match for my SA-300 amp I got not too long ago...In any case, some of you may already know about this one (which is similar to another recent TT I own), but for those that don't, here is POSSIBLY #30 for the uninformed...

Drum roll, please...

Announcing, hesitantly, #30...My second direct-drive ever (THIRD, if you count the linear Sanyo) and piece-de-resistance, the Technics SL-D2! =D>

Not the greatest Technics evidently, but CERTAINLY not the worst and when I think of the ideas I have for it, I like it more and more! :wink:

Cherry-looking, eh? :-k

Certainly no slouch, but a fine performer...Nothing too special looks-wise, but I have some plans to remedy that situation (possibly, a little veneer...and maybe a spit-shine? Just kidding! :P )...Plus, I always like to root for the underdogs...Definitely an underdog and time will tell if I keep it, but I just thought that I've held back long enough and that you guys might want to see it in all it's pristine natural glory! :lol:

Of course, if you have any other ideas for what I can do with it THAT DON'T INVOLVE A LANDFILL and/or want to change my mind one way or the other towards it, you can leave your own thoughts about it...As for me, I'm letting it grow on me, playing around with it and seeing what happens...We'll see if it's another keeper...All I know is that several people were looking at it seriously and one guy even wanted the seller to drive down to Toledo and deliver it in person! I didn't live that far from the seller, so you can guess who won out on that bid! :wink:

I can say that the husband and wife were very nice people again and wouldn't hesitate to buy items from them in the future!

OK, enough rambling! :?

Thoughts, anyone? :-k

eddie edirol
United States of America

Re: Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...

Post by eddie edirol » 17 May 2018 03:14

You know that I will always say that this one is a good buy.
But how can you possibly modify it?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 May 2018 03:50

eddie edirol wrote:You know that I will always say that this one is a good buy.
But how can you possibly modify it?
Well, for one, another poster here had mentioned that he thought it was the ugly duckling of the Technics line-up...I tended to agree with him for a minute, considering how awesome my SL-D202 looked, until I saw this one online, which changed my mind a little...and I began to toy with the possibilities of doing something to improve the SL-D2's aesthetics, at least...

With the veneer, it almost gives it a Yamaha-like feel, doesn't it? :-k

I found out from the seller what he did to his to get it that way and I might try something similar, maybe with a different veneer...I have some options, at least, and time to think it over...

I can say that performance-wise, she runs like a top! With a little Help from lini (Manfred) and a few others, I was able to decide on a stylus for that AT cartridge and I'm just enjoying her for a while...

And as I always say, if it isn't fun, then what's the purpose? :?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 May 2018 03:54

Oh, and then, these were interesting... :-k

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... d2.593136/

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 18&t=79031

The clay mod on AK (for dampening) and a new mat sound tantalizing, as well... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 May 2018 05:05

Oh, and by the way, this is Gary's response about my AT4414S...

""Hi Tony

AT 4414S was a “private label” cartridge for some turntable manufacturer and pretty high end it originally came with 201DQ ATS14 Shibata tip quad stylus. Today best substitute is 612-DE in the 612 needle family."

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

Japanese-made EVG again and it looks pretty good...Just got it recently and will have to give it more listening time, but so far, so good... :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 May 2018 10:16

That looks like a beautiful turntable vinyl master! =D>

I'm sure newbies would be more than happy to find such a great example to play their records on. Dressing it up a tad might also look good too!

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 17 May 2018 19:22

There's definitely nothing wrong with a D2! I had a D2 as my daily driver for a very long time and it never disappointed me. What it lacks in appearance, it more than makes up for in performance and reliability.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 18 May 2018 18:08

Hi Vinyl Master,

Good to see that you are a member in the direct drive club now. I remember a short time ago you acquired your first DD after ~ 30 machines. I don't recall seeing anything about you putting one into service. My main machine, a KD500 is a direct drive, but I also have belt drives including my Beogram 3000s, and the little Mister Disc. More recently I even have a couple of idler drives, my little RCA 45 changer and the Admiral 78 changer which is a current project.

Good to see the little radio. I expect it will come out fine. I'm missing all the old radio stuff which Big "B" used to post on the other stuff forum. You and he inspired me to restore my aunt's little RCA AA5 radio.

Phil
vinyl master wrote:Yeah, I know, but I did happen to find the great #30 recently, in case inquiring minds want to know... :roll: Now, keep in mind, I'm not sure if it's going to stay #30, as I was hoping for something even more special, but since it's here, I'm liking it more and more, as I think of the possibilities for it... :-k One possibility is this...My radio repairman of choice Chris is working on this little Philco radio for me...

It needed a new cord, a new dial plate and I had him source some original (or reproduction) knobs, in case I ever decide to sell it...I still have an affinity for the acorn knobs, even though they are not original, but you know me...I'm a completist! :mrgreen: He's had it for a few months now, as I told him I wasn't in a hurry to get it back...and I'm considering offering my latest TT to him in exchange for the work done on it...Regarding the TT, I could also gift it or sell it to another newbie in search of a good table that won't ruin their records...I won't say exactly what I paid, only to say that it was a good deal again that I couldn't refuse...It was a local buy and since the wife gifted her husband with a surprise new TT for Christmas, he had to let this one go, even though he'd had it since the beginning...A one-owner machine and he'd used it only recently just before Christmas 2017...I did get a nice stylus for the AT4414S cartridge that he put on it from Gary@thevoiceofmusic.com. As I've sat with it a while and thought about it, though, I have some ideas of what I might do if I keep it, which I'll detail in the future, I hope...And it would be a nice match for my SA-300 amp I got not too long ago...In any case, some of you may already know about this one (which is similar to another recent TT I own), but for those that don't, here is POSSIBLY #30 for the uninformed...

Drum roll, please...

Announcing, hesitantly, #30...My second direct-drive ever (THIRD, if you count the linear Sanyo) and piece-de-resistance, the Technics SL-D2! =D>

Not the greatest Technics evidently, but CERTAINLY not the worst and when I think of the ideas I have for it, I like it more and more! :wink:

Cherry-looking, eh? :-k

Certainly no slouch, but a fine performer...Nothing too special looks-wise, but I have some plans to remedy that situation (possibly, a little veneer...and maybe a spit-shine? Just kidding! :P )...Plus, I always like to root for the underdogs...Definitely an underdog and time will tell if I keep it, but I just thought that I've held back long enough and that you guys might want to see it in all it's pristine natural glory! :lol:

Of course, if you have any other ideas for what I can do with it THAT DON'T INVOLVE A LANDFILL and/or want to change my mind one way or the other towards it, you can leave your own thoughts about it...As for me, I'm letting it grow on me, playing around with it and seeing what happens...We'll see if it's another keeper...All I know is that several people were looking at it seriously and one guy even wanted the seller to drive down to Toledo and deliver it in person! I didn't live that far from the seller, so you can guess who won out on that bid! :wink:

I can say that the husband and wife were very nice people again and wouldn't hesitate to buy items from them in the future!

OK, enough rambling! :?

Thoughts, anyone? :-k