Possible new turntable? Project essential

snap, crackle and pop
giblets46

Possible new turntable? Project essential

Post by giblets46 » 15 May 2018 16:27

Hi All,
reading the local small ads here, and there is a Projet Essential TT going for £60, always on the lookout for something to improve my set up, would this be a decent improvement on my Omnitronic DD-2220? And is it the bargain I think? Is there anything I should be looking out for?
cheers

Solist
Slovenia

Re: Possible new turntable? Project essential

Post by Solist » 15 May 2018 19:45

giblets46 wrote:Hi All,
reading the local small ads here, and there is a Projet Essential TT going for £60, always on the lookout for something to improve my set up, would this be a decent improvement on my Omnitronic DD-2220? And is it the bargain I think? Is there anything I should be looking out for?
cheers
There is a reason it sells for that money. My opinion, get something from the 70's and it will outperform the project in every way.

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 16 May 2018 09:27

Thanks, missed it anyhow!
Any 70's turntables you would recommend? Maybe there is (or should be a thread) on decent turntables to look for used?!

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 16 May 2018 13:20

There are a lot of threads here about vintage turntables. Usually japanese belt drives are nice turntables overall and they were mass produced so they are not hard to find. It really depends what is for sale in your area. There is a library here on vinylengine where you can check the specs.

strangebudgie

Post by strangebudgie » 16 May 2018 16:43

I would go for a simple belt drive manual deck if buying vintage - less stuff to go wrong. One of my fave decks from the 70s that sells for not much money is the Sansui SR222

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 May 2018 19:27

cheers

You should note that there are posters here who will always suggest a used (vintage) TT over just about anything new regardless of your budget.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 May 2018 15:59

JoeE SP9 wrote:
You should note that there are posters here who will always suggest a used (vintage) TT over just about anything new regardless of your budget.

Here are the specs of the newest project essential III:

speed variance 33: .21%
wow & flutter 33: .70%
platter 300mm MDF with felt mat

Now I guess the specs for the old ones are even worse. For the money the new one sales, you can get a vintage turntable which will do just everything better.

Of course there are new turntables which are better than the old ones, but they dont come cheap, thats why I would always recommend vintage turntables.

And what exactly changed in the past 40 years? Not much, only the materials they use got worse (I am thinking mainly about platter materials).

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 17 Jul 2018 08:38

Ok, so in the end I've just picked up a used Moth Alamo (not sure if that is the correct name), essentially it's a Rega Planar 2. Should be a nice upgrade.
I've purchased some new belts and ceramic bearing kit (figured I was wise to lubricate the bearings in any case and the bearing was not a lot extra). Anything else I should consider?! (Cheap options in the first case please!).

It comes with an AT110 cartridge (around 100-150hrs use apparently), which should be good for a while

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 17 Jul 2018 08:48

JoeE SP9 wrote:
cheers

So what? The guy was looking top spend 60 quid what sort of decent turntable do you recommend new at that price? Seriously??
Used is the only option, there is nothing new at that price, nothing that is not a toy anyway..
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 17 Jul 2018 08:50

giblets46 wrote:Ok, so in the end I've just picked up a used Moth Alamo (not sure if that is the correct name), essentially it's a Rega Planar 2. Should be a nice upgrade.
I've purchased some new belts and ceramic bearing kit (figured I was wise to lubricate the bearings in any case and the bearing was not a lot extra). Anything else I should consider?! (Cheap options in the first case please!).

It comes with an AT110 cartridge (around 100-150hrs use apparently), which should be good for a while
Well done :D
Chris

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jul 2018 11:44

giblets46 wrote:Anything else I should consider?!
Good turntable you got!

Yes now you should consider records, and after that more records! :D

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 17 Jul 2018 13:40

Cheers! Got a few albums, jazz, classical and a bit of classic rock (fleetwood mac etc), and keen to increase. We've a local antique shop with a pretty big selection (no sorting done at all unfortunately) , £6 per album (even multi disc) and the ones I've picked up so far have been in great condition, so going to spend a little more time down there lol

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jul 2018 17:51

Those antique shops are the way to go, since the prices for used records went up in price.
It can also became a nice hobby searching through piles of records, helps relieve stress :D
Also a good place to search through old jazz and classical records are record shops which tend to sell mainly rock and metal stuff and vice versa. There are good deals to be made this way :D

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 17 Jul 2018 17:53

Solist wrote:
JoeE SP9 wrote:

Here are the specs of the newest project essential III:

speed variance 33: .21%
wow & flutter 33: .70%
platter 300mm MDF with felt mat

Now I guess the specs for the old ones are even worse. For the money the new one sales, you can get a vintage turntable which will do just everything better.

Of course there are new turntables which are better than the old ones, but they dont come cheap, thats why I would always recommend vintage turntables.

And what exactly changed in the past 40 years? Not much, only the materials they use got worse (I am thinking mainly about platter materials).

Please note, I'm not suggesting anything specific. I'm omly pointing out that ther are regular posters here who will always recommend a "vintage" TT regardless of the OP's budget. This is so even when the OP specifically says they are looking for a new TT.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jul 2018 19:34

I understand your point of view, but many times I have noticed that when people ask others for Help is because they don't know much about turntables, and because of this many don't even consider vintage stuff, which we can agree if properly serviced outperforms new budget turntables. But there is always a risk that turntables which were neglected can malfunction. I am just giving the OP another option to think about. I am not forcing anyone, in the end it's his choice. But I agree that I say things out loud, which nowadays is confused with arrogance. I might be wrong about some things, but that's why here are other folks to correct my mistakes. We learn everyday and saying things out loud without any filtering is the easiest way for learning. Even if this means to look like an imbecile sometimes.. :D