the home of the turntable

Possible new turntable? Project essential

snap, crackle and pop

Possible new turntable? Project essential

Postby giblets46 » 15 May 2018 16:27

Hi All,
reading the local small ads here, and there is a Projet Essential TT going for £60, always on the lookout for something to improve my set up, would this be a decent improvement on my Omnitronic DD-2220? And is it the bargain I think? Is there anything I should be looking out for?
cheers
giblets46

United Kingdom

Re: Possible new turntable? Project essential

Postby Solist » 15 May 2018 19:45

giblets46 wrote:Hi All,
reading the local small ads here, and there is a Projet Essential TT going for £60, always on the lookout for something to improve my set up, would this be a decent improvement on my Omnitronic DD-2220? And is it the bargain I think? Is there anything I should be looking out for?
cheers

There is a reason it sells for that money. My opinion, get something from the 70's and it will outperform the project in every way.
Solist

Slovenia

Postby giblets46 » 16 May 2018 09:27

Thanks, missed it anyhow!
Any 70's turntables you would recommend? Maybe there is (or should be a thread) on decent turntables to look for used?!
giblets46

United Kingdom

Postby Solist » 16 May 2018 13:20

There are a lot of threads here about vintage turntables. Usually japanese belt drives are nice turntables overall and they were mass produced so they are not hard to find. It really depends what is for sale in your area. There is a library here on vinylengine where you can check the specs.
Solist

Slovenia

Postby strangebudgie » 16 May 2018 16:43

I would go for a simple belt drive manual deck if buying vintage - less stuff to go wrong. One of my fave decks from the 70s that sells for not much money is the Sansui SR222
strangebudgie

United Kingdom

Postby JoeE SP9 » 16 May 2018 19:27

giblets46 wrote:Hi All,
cheers

You should note that there are posters here who will always suggest a used (vintage) TT over just about anything new regardless of your budget.
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Solist » 17 May 2018 15:59

JoeE SP9 wrote:
You should note that there are posters here who will always suggest a used (vintage) TT over just about anything new regardless of your budget.

Here are the specs of the newest project essential III:

speed variance 33: .21%
wow & flutter 33: .70%
platter 300mm MDF with felt mat

Now I guess the specs for the old ones are even worse. For the money the new one sales, you can get a vintage turntable which will do just everything better.

Of course there are new turntables which are better than the old ones, but they dont come cheap, thats why I would always recommend vintage turntables.

And what exactly changed in the past 40 years? Not much, only the materials they use got worse (I am thinking mainly about platter materials).
Solist

Slovenia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms