Servo-Arm Turntables from the '80s

snap, crackle and pop
Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Servo-Arm Turntables from the '80s

Post by Spinner45 » 23 May 2018 05:19

You ever watch a Dual 701 (fully automatic) in action, once the start lever is gently pushed?
You'd swear that a picky "audiophile" ghost was handling things.

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 23 May 2018 18:58

al2002 wrote:Yes indeed! I have an original SL-1300. 40+ years old and still working well. Non-audiophiles find auto turntables far easier to use than manual tables.
Correct. I did spend some years working at a local hifi dealer and most of the beginners asked for fully autos, and instantly dismissed any fully manual turntable without even looking at it. Mind you, a very small number of newbies weren't put off by the manual decks but they were few and far between. This was a long time ago however, and I don't know if the times have changed.

On the other hand, experienced audiophiles are well aware of the fact that there are good manual turntables and good fully auto ones, and likewise some poor manuals and some poor autos.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 23 May 2018 22:42

Fair statements.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 24 May 2018 06:47

Spinner45 wrote:
Having owned a pristine condition DP-59L myself, I can say it's performance was very nice.
However, I couldn't wait to sell it off, due to its overly complex design and known documented issues that come with such things.
Playing a record should be relatively simple and straightforward.
And the DP-xx series isn't in that league.
Perhaps when new, they impressed consumers, having that fancy tonearm design, but they're now decades old, and becoming problematic.
I much prefer a good, solid, old-school design, relying on gravity or a mainspring for stylus control.
Because gravity is more reliable than a bunch of IC's and transistors.
I was just about to write almost the same thing. Now I don't have to. I like gravity for playing records.

Doug

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 24 May 2018 16:04

Then I guess you have speed regulation from the 60 or 50 Hz main power supply? No speed control?

al2002

Post by al2002 » 27 May 2018 04:57

wolfie62 wrote: SNIP

You are implying that audiophiles, I guess “true” audiophiles, only use manual TTs and that auto tables are for those “ not well acquainted with the audiophile way.”

Totally asinine!!
What a load of rubbish!! :^o

I implied nothing of the sort. And if you think I did, you are either utterly dense or being deliberately obtuse for the purpose of trolling. You repeatedly make up stuff and post the most idiotic comments about what was neither stated explicitly nor implied. Where do you dream up this c**p from anyway - are you just pulling it out of your rear end? [-X

Since you don't seem to understand basic logic, note that the following statement:

"Non-audiophiles find auto turntables far easier to use than manual tables"

does not imply:

"Auto turntables sound bad (or good)"
"Auto turntables are expensive (or not)"
"Auto turntables look good (or bad)"
etc.

Clearly you have trouble comprehending what others write. So in the future, why don't you run posts through an English to English translator? :lol:

BTW, the only one making totally asinine posts is you. I suggest you stop trolling this thread

al2002

Post by al2002 » 27 May 2018 06:41

Vanni wrote:
al2002 wrote:Yes indeed! I have an original SL-1300. 40+ years old and still working well. Non-audiophiles find auto turntables far easier to use than manual tables.
SNIP

On the other hand, experienced audiophiles are well aware of the fact that there are good manual turntables and good fully auto ones, and likewise some poor manuals and some poor autos.
Agreed. I never stated otherwise.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 27 May 2018 14:55

Just going by what YOU WROTE!

So if any one in here needs English lessons, it’s YOU! You keep saying “not what you wrote” or “ not what you implied.” But it’s all in what you WROTE.

English your second language?

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 27 May 2018 14:57

AlwaysAirborne wrote:
So do a few of us reformed audiophiles. :D
I’m not the only one who completely understood what you wrote!

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 27 May 2018 15:12

Ok. I’m gonna be the grownup here, and apologize for taking what you said as a sneer type comment. It really isn’t.

The SL 1300 is a very good table. Full auto, correct? When I fix my 1350, I’ll be using it as a 1300.

I bought my son a turntable as his first. He doesn’t know how to handle records. I bought him a Hitachi HT 463 full auto. But, like the SL 1300, it’s an extremely competent table.

I know how to handle records. I just prefer a full auto so I KEEP my grubby hands off the vinyl and avoid accidents with my cart/stylus.

Actually, as I think about it further, you and I are pretty much on the same page.

My roommate in college had a belt drive manual pioneer table. More than once either one of us would misjudge the curing and set the stylus down on the very edge of the record. I never liked when I did that.