the home of the turntable

Overhang with japanese turntables

snap, crackle and pop

Overhang with japanese turntables

Postby sim_v » 09 May 2018 10:36

(please excuse my English, I'm French)

Hi,

I own an Akai and a Hitachi turntables. I aligned cartridges with Baerwald and with service manuals from Vinylengine, I found manufacturers simplified procedures.
For the Akai (AP-Q55 / S tonearm), it's an overhang of 15 mm. Manual says to use the centre of the platter with I made. Good sound, no distortion. I made a sign on the cartridge 15 mm behind the stylus. I use the original headshell.

For the Hitachi (HT-353 / S tonearm ), it's a overhang of 15 mm. If I use the Akai method, it's impossible to respect overhang. The best I can have is a 19 mm overhang. Manual says to set a distance of 51 mm (minimum I can set is 50 mm) between stylus and the base of the headshell to give me 20 mm of overhang if I put the cartridge on the centre of the platter.

How a 51 mm distance can fix a 15 mm of overhang ?

On the Hitachi, Baerwald setting gave my some distortions on older records when Akai plays them with a better sound with a manufacturer or Baerwald setting.

Thank a lot for explanations...

sim_v

France

Re: Overhang with japanese turntables

Postby sim_v » 15 May 2018 19:20

sim_v

France

Postby sim_v » 16 May 2018 08:07

Cartridge adjustment seems to be very good with Stevenson protractors. I'm asking why I get a 20mm overhanging with the manufacturer's setting.
sim_v

France

Postby JaS » 16 May 2018 09:36

If your deck has the original arm, when you set the stylus at 51mm in the headshell as per the manual you should get 15mm overhang.

If it measures 20mm then either the arm is wrong, you are measuring something wrong, or there's a typo in the manual (this is not unusual).

If you've found an alignment that works then I'd just go with that.
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby sim_v » 17 May 2018 09:04

Must to be good. Delta is due to angle between the arm and the platter when I put it over the spindle. Hitachi's spindle has more height.

sim_v

France

Return to Turntables and Tonearms