the home of the turntable

A solution for those scratched dust covers!

snap, crackle and pop

A solution for those scratched dust covers!

Postby vinyl master » 19 Apr 2018 10:01

When in doubt, guys, about a scratched-up dust cover, give this guy's method a try...

For deeper scratches, you may need to polish the covers a little longer, but you can see the difference the polisher makes! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: A solution for those scratched dust covers!

Postby vinyl master » 19 Apr 2018 10:16

And if you have some dull, scratched turntable platters, you could try one of these methods...

There are other ways and methods, of course, but those videos give you a general idea of what you can do...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 19 Apr 2018 17:38

Yeah, polishing is always easy with the proper power polishing tools. :)

Unfortunately, not everyone has those power tools .
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby analogaudio » 19 Apr 2018 18:26

From personal experience I can recommend the NOVUS family of scratch removal aids

I cringe to see someone using steel wool for cleaning hifi, it leaves ferrous residue that rusts. This is 2018, a visit to the PAINT aisle of your local Homedepot or Lowes will turn up lots of nice convenient synthetic (non rusting) cleaning materials, similar to the familiar kitchen scotchbrite products, that cost very little and are available in a variety of hardnesses for steel and aluminum.
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby mockduck » 19 Apr 2018 19:38

I recently picked up a 6" orbital polisher at Walmart for $20 and used it to buff and polish the dust cover on my Yamaha P-350 in addition to the plastic dust cover of an old Sears Tele-Games console storage system. In both cases the results were excellent. It didn't take out the super-deep scuffing on the Yamaha cover, but it still looks significantly better than it did, and really restored the gloss and shine.
mockduck

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 19 Apr 2018 19:59

JDJX wrote:Yeah, polishing is always easy with the proper power polishing tools. :)

Unfortunately, not everyone has those power tools .

Good point. My friend owns a professional buffer, even that struggles to get deep scratches out. If things get too hot it can also warp or cause blooming in some acrylic lids.
I use 1500 grit wet and dry under a running tap, then 2000 grit. I finish off with jeweller's rouge which I dilute with mineral spirits and apply with a cotton cloth. Fairly easy to get a mirror shine for peanuts, and just as good as expensive polishing compounds. Jeweller's rouge is wax mixed with a polishing compound, I use the red one.

Most important thing is having immaculately clean cloths to do the last polishing, acrylic scratches easily and even tiny particles embedded in the cloth will cause visible marks on highly polished lids.

Those cheap hand orbital polishers don't have enough torque to move acrylic, that is what buffing entails.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby toaster999 » 19 Apr 2018 20:29

vinyl master wrote:When in doubt, guys, about a scratched-up dust cover, give this guy's method a try...

For deeper scratches, you may need to polish the covers a little longer, but you can see the difference the polisher makes! :D

what cream is he using? dentists cream? oh-er
toaster999

United Kingdom

Postby Copperhead » 19 Apr 2018 23:55

toaster999 wrote:what cream is he using? dentists cream? oh-er

On that particular lid, single cream. Double cream works better on deeper scratches.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby BMRR » 20 Apr 2018 16:16

mockduck wrote:I recently picked up a 6" orbital polisher at Walmart for $20 and used it to buff and polish the dust cover on my Yamaha P-350 in addition to the plastic dust cover of an old Sears Tele-Games console storage system. In both cases the results were excellent. It didn't take out the super-deep scuffing on the Yamaha cover, but it still looks significantly better than it did, and really restored the gloss and shine.

I did the same thing a few months ago, using a 6" random orbit polisher from Home Depot. It was only $19. The 3-bottle kit from Novus was more expensive! I initially tried to use the Novus kit by hand, but unless you have very strong arm muscles, forget it. It would've taken me days or weeks. So I bought the polisher at Home Depot and used it with the Novus liquids, and was able to bring a horrible dust cover back to life in about an hour.
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 21 Apr 2018 04:45

BMRR wrote:
mockduck wrote:I recently picked up a 6" orbital polisher at Walmart for $20 and used it to buff and polish the dust cover on my Yamaha P-350 in addition to the plastic dust cover of an old Sears Tele-Games console storage system. In both cases the results were excellent. It didn't take out the super-deep scuffing on the Yamaha cover, but it still looks significantly better than it did, and really restored the gloss and shine.

I did the same thing a few months ago, using a 6" random orbit polisher from Home Depot. It was only $19. The 3-bottle kit from Novus was more expensive! I initially tried to use the Novus kit by hand, but unless you have very strong arm muscles, forget it. It would've taken me days or weeks. So I bought the polisher at Home Depot and used it with the Novus liquids, and was able to bring a horrible dust cover back to life in about an hour.

Too bad you don't have a "before-and-after" pic (or do you? :-k)...Would love to see a pic of the cover, though, if you've got one, BMRR! =D>
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby jlee964 » 21 Apr 2018 08:06

Picked up a second hand turntable that had deep scratches and was very hazy.

Used my car polisher and car polishing stuff and 5 mins later marked improvement. Could spend some more time and get it better am sure. Was a quick job but seemed to come out well for the little time I Put into it.

It's on the othe part of the forum under "pioneer needle identification"

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=103908
jlee964

Hong Kong

Postby jlee964 » 21 Apr 2018 15:17

this is the before shot - hazy and deep scratches
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
jlee964

Hong Kong

Postby jlee964 » 21 Apr 2018 15:18

the results and after shot for comparison
Attachments
IMG_2033.JPG
jlee964

Hong Kong

Postby Big_Walleye » 22 Apr 2018 05:47

I have removed some pretty nasty scratches from dustcovers. I have done at least a dozen in the last year. The Pioneer in the photo above can be made to look minty with about an hours worth of work.

The process is almost exactly the same as the wet sanding and polishing that is done to achieve show quality shine on a car paint job.

I use 1000 grit wet sandpaper first. I use water and a drop or two of dish soap in a spray bottle to keep the work nice and wet. Sanding is done in a straight line from front to back. Wiping with a shop towel occasionally to check progress (you can tell when the scratches are gone). Then 1500 grit wet with the same technique. The cover will look quite cloudy at this point.

I use 3M Super duty rubbing compound on a wool pad. I mount the polisher with the pad facing up in the jaws of a workmate. It's a lot easier to hold the dustcover in your hands.

After a couple passes with the 3M compound, I change to a foam pad and Meguiar's ultimate compound as many times as necessary.

The results are quite good. I have done a few for my friends. No complaints.
Big_Walleye

Canada

Postby STEV-O » 22 Apr 2018 21:44

A little off subject but If all else fails...

I have spent the last few years building a Transcraptors Saturn hybrid and the final thing I needed was a dust cover! The dimensions were outside most commercial supplyers and so I decided on a bespoke cover.

If you live in the UK please contact and trust prdisplays check them out on Facebook or email them prdisplays1@gmail.com for a quote they may also be able to replicate an existing cover which maybe damaged!
Attachments
E7F841C1-35DA-4A43-A10A-4FD45E080E93.jpeg
44D8E685-F123-4BE6-9B6B-984EE6BA0D80.jpeg
9B2C77ED-F387-47BD-B633-7D4815F9D7B8.jpeg
F73C4E28-A46A-4062-BEC7-4CE4FA582614.jpeg
STEV-O

United Kingdom

Return to Turntables and Tonearms