the home of the turntable

Beginner - Help

snap, crackle and pop

Beginner - Help

Postby jmck1 » 17 Apr 2018 09:35

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to all of this but I'm wanting to set up my own system. I've done a bit of research and I've purchased a Dual 505-1 (no dust cover though :/) here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-505-1-T ... 7675.l2557

I paid £56 for it. Is this an alright deal? I've read that these are decent turntables anyway.

Also, any recommendations for amps/speakers to go with it that won't break the bank?

Thanks everyone :)

Joe.
jmck1

United Kingdom

Re: Beginner - Help

Postby edradour » 17 Apr 2018 10:54

Good deck, good cartridge - good start! As to the rest of it.....most domestic amps are good enough (be sure to get one with an inbuilt phono stage for the nice Ortofon). Squeeze your budget for the best speakers you can get.
edradour

Scotland

Postby jmck1 » 17 Apr 2018 10:57

Thanks Edradour - what do you mean by domestic amps? And what does the inbuilt phono stage mean?

Any recommendations for particular brands of speakers?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks for your Help
jmck1

United Kingdom

Postby edradour » 17 Apr 2018 11:19

Domestic as opposed to 'professional' - ie most hi-fi amps. The Ortofon is a moving magnet cartridge with an output of 5 mV - the phono stage lifts this to line voltage before feeding it into the amp (the output of other sources CDs, tape players etc is already line level). Look for amps with PHONO inputs - that indicates they have inbuilt phono stages. Once upon a time virtually all audio amps had these but since people became besotted with home cinema systems (all line level) some makers have dropped these phono stages.
edradour

Scotland

Postby edradour » 17 Apr 2018 11:22

Speakers are a huge area! Main advice - listen before you buy. Are you looking for big floorstanders or something less obtrusive?
edradour

Scotland

Postby jmck1 » 17 Apr 2018 11:25

I haven't really thought about floorstanding or something smaller - really just looking for speakers that will do the turntable justice. As I said, I'm a super beginner here!
jmck1

United Kingdom

Postby edradour » 17 Apr 2018 12:55

I have to admit to living in the past somewhat - the newest element in my system is a Decca London super-gold cartridge from the 80s and what I know about amps is restricted to valve amps from the 50s and 60s. There are, of course, very good newer makers. Arcam, for example, have a good name for making decent products at reasonable prices. Manufacturers that don't make bad speakers,as far as I know, of whatever size include Celestion, Tannoy, Harbeth - there are others of course. As it happens I am refurbishing a pair of DUAL speakers just now and they sound very nice - CL270s - large-ish bookshelf speakers. Might be a nice match for you. I need to replace the horrid 2 pin DIN sockets with proper terminals.
edradour

Scotland

Postby P700DEE » 17 Apr 2018 15:41

Hmmm I paid just £25 for a Dual with lid and A&R C77 but if the cartridge is in good condition you've paid about the going rate. Look for amplifiers with phono stage otherwise you will need to buy a separate stage for use with the Dual.
My advice is to look at older 5.2 AV amps. These were often very expensive, multichannel amps with good sound and the older ones included a phono input. I've picked a couple of nice working ones for 99p :wink:
example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TA-AV57 ... SwKvFa07il
although now at £10:49. Speakers, I picked up a pair of TDL floor standers for a song as they were local to me. Use ebay search for distance as some great speakers come up especially floor standers but no-one wants to pay postage so if local you can go collect.
P700DEE

United Kingdom

Postby vinylrayk » 17 Apr 2018 16:33

Be sure to have the seller remove the platter and pack it seperately away from the tonearm, and tighten the lockdown screws to keep it from bouncing around on the spring suspension. There have been too many stories posted of shipping damage when turntables are packed improperly. Turntables are difficult to ship because they are heavy and delicate. I've had a Dual 1019 arrive trashed because it wasn't packed right. Perhaps other Dual owners could share their recommendations.

Ray K
vinylrayk
contributor

United States of America

Postby jmck1 » 17 Apr 2018 16:48

Hi P700DEE,

Thanks for your advice it's really useful - is that amp that you linked to on ebay have a phono input?

Vinylrayk and Edradour - thanks for your advice too, really helpful to a total newbie!
jmck1

United Kingdom

Postby P700DEE » 18 Apr 2018 11:49

Yes it did. If you go to pictures on the back of the amps and see an input marked Phono that is for a turntable :) If you get good pics on the front you may also be able to see Phono or turntable as an option on the front.
P700DEE

United Kingdom

Return to Turntables and Tonearms