Transcriptor Fluid Tonearm help, problem. Ideas?

snap, crackle and pop
tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Transcriptor Fluid Tonearm help, problem. Ideas?

Post by tlscapital » 21 Apr 2018 22:04

Ah ! Before going deeper with such "speed" constancy issues; always give a dry alcohol clean (isopropyl is that) of the pulley, platter (or sub) and belt. Residual small amount of time passing by grease can induce such slip. The fact that the center of the record is floating in the spindle is not my cup of tea.

soulboy68

Post by soulboy68 » 22 Apr 2018 11:06

tlscapital wrote:Ah ! Before going deeper with such "speed" constancy issues; always give a dry alcohol clean (isopropyl is that) of the pulley, platter (or sub) and belt. Residual small amount of time passing by grease can induce such slip. The fact that the center of the record is floating in the spindle is not my cup of tea.
Sounds like good advice will do that. The record not sitting on the spindle base is not ideal imo either. May see if I can make up a pad for it.

Cheers for the help

SB

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 22 Apr 2018 12:02

And I've seen on the net people playing their LP with a clamp on the very same turntable so unless this turntable recommends to play dished records...

strangebudgie

Post by strangebudgie » 22 Apr 2018 20:48

The inner cushioning is designed just for 7" 45s. For 12" discs they are meant to sit only on the outer cushion pads. I know some people think the design is flawed, but I have a Reference and it sounds great. I have never experienced any movement of the record while playing.

strangebudgie

Post by strangebudgie » 22 Apr 2018 20:58

For speed issues, I would recommend changing the belt as they do stretch with age. The genuine ones from Michell are much better than the copies out there. Also clean inside the strobe and its mount gently with some isopropyl on a cotton bud, then lubricate with a drop of sewing machine oil. Try checking the hydraulic fluid in the speed control this can become full of flies, gunge, dust and deteriorates with age anyway, which can cause speed problems. It is very unlikely to be the electrics as there is very little save a mains powered synchronous motor, switch, a bulb and a couple of resistors. Hope that helps ...

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 22 Apr 2018 21:50

strangebudgie wrote:The inner cushioning is designed just for 7" 45s. For 12" discs they are meant to sit only on the outer cushion pads. I know some people think the design is flawed, but I have a Reference and it sounds great. I have never experienced any movement of the record while playing.
OK, thanks for clearing that out. Likely with the over scrupulous idea to minimize any bearing's vibrations (that should be minute) onto the record and back into the cartridge... Doesn't make it so easy for the large hole centered 45 records though :(

soulboy68

Post by soulboy68 » 23 Apr 2018 18:03

strangebudgie wrote: The inner cushioning is designed just for 7" 45s. For 12" discs they are meant to sit only on the outer cushion pads. I know some people think the design is flawed, but I have a Reference and it sounds great. I have never experienced any movement of the record while playing.
Ahh ok, it is a bit strange though I assumed sitting on the inner cushioning playing LP's surely would give more dampening?. Thing is I am getting a low rumble coming back up through the pick up. And assumed this might be the cause. No records are slipping in my case.

strangebudgie wrote: For speed issues, I would recommend changing the belt as they do stretch with age. The genuine ones from Michell are much better than the copies out there. Also clean inside the strobe and its mount gently with some isopropyl on a cotton bud, then lubricate with a drop of sewing machine oil. Try checking the hydraulic fluid in the speed control this can become full of flies, gunge, dust and deteriorates with age anyway, which can cause speed problems. It is very unlikely to be the electrics as there is very little save a mains powered synchronous motor, switch, a bulb and a couple of resistors. Hope that helps ...
Thats a relief to hear that its not likely the electrics. Will give a good clean later this week and see how I get on. The belt is a new michell one. and the well fluid is also nice and new. So less to check now. Cheers for the advice.