the home of the turntable

Transcriptor Fluid Tonearm Help, problem. Ideas?

snap, crackle and pop

Transcriptor Fluid Tonearm Help, problem. Ideas?

Postby soulboy68 » 14 Apr 2018 10:37

Hi all, feel like this is getting a bit of a habit so apologies in advance. Just as I thought I'd cracked it, I am still having a lesser issue, that seems to make no sense. Audio seems clear, but when I touch the tonearm I get a crackle or ground hum. I have rewired 3 times, Tested resistance all is good. from the headshell to the phono connectors and earth. The earth hum is not noticeable with music on but touch the tonearm with volume right up thats another matter. The arm is not yet dampened but did not want to fill till I get this right. Deck does not fit my turntable stand so getting some slight reverb coming back up into the deck.
There are some links of audio and how it sounds and a diagram picture of how I wired it (of sorts) and video, if somebody would care to listen and perhaps give this newbie some grand advice :idea: that would be brill. I did read somewhere that earthing from the mains in to the tonearm was a solution. So if someone could verify that as a workaround and best way of going about it, that would be super also.

Trying to stay positive as feel I am almost there, but do need some inspiration right now as out of ideas.

Cheers SB

Video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gPxvW ... E-1SsDOl1B

Audio (Audio and then quiet with me touching the tone arm)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k5iG2 ... qxQMA01Czd

Picture (Shaky hands not got the Bob Ross touch )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kRVtX ... 3msfczyz9S
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Re: Transcriptor Fluid Tonearm Help, problem. Ideas?

Postby tlscapital » 14 Apr 2018 13:04

Hi there soulboy68, this to me doesn't sound like a ground issue (= hum) but sounds more like some contact or static issue. When you say touching the tonearm I guess you mean the headshell ?

Have you tried with another headshell even with another cartridge so you save yourself the dismantling of the thing ? Or could it be an issue with your actual Shure cartridge ?

I have a friend who has a Goldring 1042 who has that issue but only worst than you and I did read about other owners of the same Goldring cartridge having similar issues.

Soul records deserves the best ! ;)
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby soulboy68 » 14 Apr 2018 15:02

Hi Tls, the head-shell is plastic, when i touch that nothing happens. And yes its when I touch the arm but also the resonating electrical cycle can still be heard if I don't. The head shell sockets have been cleaned and fits nice and tight where it pushes onto. If I wiggle the needle casing as in pull in and out there is a bit of static but nothing that contributes when playing. I had noticed right this moment that if I touch the platter and the tonearm arm together. everything goes away. I did change the earth cable that fixes to one of the nuts underneath the platter, So could it be a bad connection from oxidization where its fixed and goes too on the electrical side? I'd like to investigate that further but due to the nut being lock-tighted I was reluctant. I did not want to upset the electrics underneath too much, due to the units age and the delicate wires that reside there. Will wait on more advice before I attempt that I think.

thanks for replying, really appreciate the Help

SB
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby tlscapital » 15 Apr 2018 16:42

Maybe a ground loop then ! Does your tonearm have it's wand/tube grounded ? You should have seen if it had one or not after your rewirings. Likely the ground you are referring to is fixed to the chassis instead of the platter. To what ground terminal is it connected to ? Your amp or preamp maybe ?
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby soulboy68 » 15 Apr 2018 18:04

Hi Tls When I stripped the old wiring from cart it had 3 wires. The ground on the tonearm barrel which the headshell plugs into. The two earth points that the cart plugs into were linked so you had just one earth wire going to the interconnects and the ground wire going from the base of the tonearm to the earth point near the platter well.

There is no earth wire on the wand. I assumed the wand was grounded as its fixed in and sits on the unipivot, which goes to ground.

As the headshell is plastic and there is no metal from that point that comes into contact with the wand via the barrel or the cartridge, Could I just run the ground through and connect directly self ground via the phono connectors going to the turntable And just ground the base the tonearm to the existing earth on the turntable?

Hope that makes sense?
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby soulboy68 » 15 Apr 2018 19:37

They say the first sign of madness is when you keep doing the same things while expecting different results. Well I have stripped the tonearm... Again. Heres a link to some photos of how I went about wiring it. Perhaps I am missing something that a fresh pair of eyes can see. I've removed the heat shrinks for all connections.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oIRy6 ... cCRe2hoi1q
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby tlscapital » 15 Apr 2018 20:02

Trying to understand and since I don't know that tonearm, I have taken a peak at the instructor's manual and I understand that initially it's got a "fixed" headshell with it's 4 out coming wires to connect the cartridge to and 2 RCA connector outputs AND it's tube/wand ground to connect to the under chassis of the turntable. Is that what you have actually as well ?

Capture d’écran 2018-04-15 à 20.07.09.jpg
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby tlscapital » 15 Apr 2018 20:32

soulboy68 wrote:They say the first sign of madness is when you keep doing the same things while expecting different results. Well I have stripped the tonearm... Again. Heres a link to some photos of how I went about wiring it. Perhaps I am missing something that a fresh pair of eyes can see. I've removed the heat shrinks for all connections.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oIRy6 ... cCRe2hoi1q

On my side, after setting my tailor-made boards to welcome my big heavy amp and on another level my tachometer & speed modulator and all the PSU's, I've reconnect clean with a new mains plugs/block my whole phono gear in it's cabinet.

With the whole power cables rearrangements I had to dig out an old mains plugs cable for my "desk" lamp to be able to reach momentary a plug. At first there was no juice and I dismantle that supposedly faulty plug but all seemed fine, reassemble it and it worked...

My madness worked... the second time. On the second and third picture is that the 4 pins connector to plug to the RCA's ? If so indeed you had no sole ground cable out-coming from the tonearm tube/wand as shown in the user's manual/instructions.
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby soulboy68 » 15 Apr 2018 23:38

Hi Tls

The 4 pin connector you see is for the headshell to plug onto. There is no socket for the rca's. I get what you have mentioned though as most tonearms have an extra ground on the arm chassis.

I will try and make a thin copper barrel and solder a wire that fits into the end of the wand. That's all it needed, a fresh pair of eyes and hopefully trial and error may work this time. I will let you know how I get on. Be glad to put all the madness behind me. :) Thanks for the Help

Cheers SB
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby tlscapital » 16 Apr 2018 00:17

soulboy68 wrote:Hi Tls

The 4 pin connector you see is for the headshell to plug onto. There is no socket for the rca's. I get what you have mentioned though as most tonearms have an extra ground on the arm chassis.

I will try and make a thin copper barrel and solder a wire that fits into the end of the wand. That's all it needed, a fresh pair of eyes and hopefully trial and error may work this time. I will let you know how I get on. Be glad to put all the madness behind me. :) Thanks for the Help

Cheers SB

The tonearm ground should be attached to the tonearm wand/tube inside somewhere near the pivot is good enough I'd have thought as it is the case in my DIY tweaked SME 3009 initially 'Improved'.

Or if you'd find it easier see if you could squeak a ground in between the headshell connector and the tube's front. You could use an old tonearm wire to do so and then just attach it underneath the chassis.
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby soulboy68 » 21 Apr 2018 13:47

tlscapital wrote:
The tonearm ground should be attached to the tonearm wand/tube inside somewhere near the pivot is good enough I'd have thought as it is the case in my DIY tweaked SME 3009 initially 'Improved'.

Or if you'd find it easier see if you could squeak a ground in between the head-shell connector and the tube's front. You could use an old tonearm wire to do so and then just attach it underneath the chassis.

Hi Tls, worked a treat, had a gold plated cart pin rail and with that made a squeezable barrel, soldered on an extra wire and fed into the wand for a ground. Got a bit of rumble still, so will inspect the bearing, but noticed on the platter that the cushioning sits higher than the inner cushioning and record does not sit directly onto the spindle platform? Perhaps its supposed to be above that, but the rest is not right. The cushioning was not replaced and added by me.

I've included a sound-file of recording and pic of platter and video. The lead from the amp to the laptop is pretty crude for recording but you get the idea. I also have added dampening into the well of the tonearm this time.

I also have to take a look at the speed as it fluctuates a tad. I feel like I am getting there now though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SAD10 ... IuGTz6F_yt
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby tlscapital » 21 Apr 2018 14:19

Good that that's out of the way. I don't know these turntables but indeed, it's not right for the label of the record not to sit/rest on the spindle and to float under it's own weight.

Mind you the speed issues you are having could be caused by the fact that record slips (not enough surface contact) and/or the needle manages to pull it "backward" at times.
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby ripblade » 21 Apr 2018 17:33

Can't play the video but from the title screen the cartridge appears to be a Shure? Is the grounding strap attached between the RF cage and earth pin?

I have a Shure that hums when I touch the wand, which is earthed, but I deliberately removed the strap. Doesn't bother me though, as the setup is perfectly quiet when playing.
ripblade

Canada

Postby soulboy68 » 21 Apr 2018 17:55

Hi Ripblade, yes all good now on the tonearm grounding. Just need to sort out a bit of low end rumble coming from either the bearing or the record not sitting on the cushioning correctly.
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Postby soulboy68 » 21 Apr 2018 18:08

tlscapital wrote:Good that that's out of the way. I don't know these turntables but indeed, it's not right for the label of the record not to sit/rest on the spindle and to float under it's own weight.

Mind you the speed issues you are having could be caused by the fact that record slips (not enough surface contact) and/or the needle manages to pull it "backward" at times.

The tonearm cart with stylus is just under a gram seems to track nice at that weight. The record is not slipping and sits perfectly on the outer cushioning. But the inner part of the record is floating above the inner cushioning if that makes sense. Hence why I think I am getting the slight low end rumble. Not sure about the speed issue, its a new belt, could be a bearing and oil issue, or maybe some electrical components ageing??
soulboy68

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms