Adjust anti-skate on Project Primary

snap, crackle and pop
vext01

Adjust anti-skate on Project Primary

Post by vext01 » 19 Mar 2018 15:23

Hi,

One of my turntables is a Project Primary. I'm using it with a Thakker OM5e equivalent stylus.

When starting a record playing (using the lowering lever), the stylus almost always jumps into the first track prematurely. Sometimes I can get it right by lowering the stylus manually, but I'd like it if the lever worked.

The stylus is lowering slowly and the tracking force is fine too, so sounds like an anti-skate issue? The problem is, this is one of those plug and play turntables with the anti-skate (and tracking force) factory set. I can see how I would change the tracking force, but anyone know if I can adjust the anti-skate somehow?

Cheers

nat
long player
long player

Re: Adjust anti-skate on Project Primary

Post by nat » 19 Mar 2018 23:38

Is the rubber pad on the platform still there, and is it clean? And is the pin under the arm that contacts that platform still there?
I'm operating on memory/intuition, so the details may not be correct, but look at the contact area and see if it has sufficient friction.

vext01

Post by vext01 » 20 Mar 2018 11:02

Hi Nat,

Great minds think alike. I checked the rubber platform shortly after posting. I cleaned in up with some IPA alcohol, but it didn't seem very dirty and still had its grip.

The lowering platform and pin is all OK.

I think this is perhaps to do with either the anti-skate or (if possible?) the tightness of the bearings in the horizontal direction.

I tried a few different things to narrow it down, one of which was to lower the stylus onto the record with the platter stationary, and then turn on the platter. Indeed, often the stylus jumped inward after the start of the first track. I think this takes the lowering mechanism out of the equation...

Hrm.

vext01

Post by vext01 » 20 Mar 2018 16:52

A couple more details.
  1. This occurs using an official Ortofon OM5e stylus too (borrowed the one off my other turntable).
  2. It's worse on records with don't have the raised tracks on the lead in.
  3. I re-measured the tracking force. It's more like 1.65 instead of the 1.75 recommended for the cart.
Is that 0.1g likely to matter?

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 21 Mar 2018 06:59

Hi!

I do not think this is an anti-skate issue. The arm should not be moving towards the center of the record in the first place. The anti-skate is used to push the tonearm away from the spindle, so if not working properly (too high value) it would cause the arm to slide away. If set too low it would still cause the arm to slide away from the spindle. So..

Did you level the turntable?

It might be a horizontal balance issue of the tonearm itself.

vext01

Post by vext01 » 29 Mar 2018 17:02

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I now own a spirit level. It's not totally flat it seems. The left side of the TT needs to go up, and the back needs to go down.

I would have thought lowering the back would make the issue worse.

I've just had a look at the feet on the turntable and found that they are not adjustable, so I might have to wedge something underneath.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 29 Mar 2018 17:41

No problem. Remember that when levelling the TT the most important part that needs to be level is the part where your needle is tracing the groove.
That might be causing the skip. I usually put pieces of paper to get it level. Cheap and effective.

vext01

Post by vext01 » 24 Apr 2018 16:26

Hi,

I'm actually still having issues with this turntable. It's now level and the problem persists.

I have a feeling that the tone arm lowering mechanism is dropping too slowly. I've tried removing as much of the lubrication grease as possible from the arm lowering mechanism. I even tried a little WD40. The tone arm still crawls down super-slowly :(

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 24 Apr 2018 18:49

Tonearm dropping too slowly should not be the cause of the problem. The tonearm is supposed to drop slowly, so that it does not damage the stylus and vinyl. On my tonearm it takes 3-4 sec until the needle makes contact with the record.

Removing the grease was a bad idea. The grease is there to make the descend as smooth as possible. And using WD40 was a really bad idea.

Maybe post a video?

vext01

Post by vext01 » 24 Apr 2018 21:01

Yeah, maybe I'll post a video.

(I'm not too worried about the grease or WD40 since I can always add new grease. FWIW it made zero difference anyway)