Turntable base.

snap, crackle and pop
The Blacksmith

Turntable base.

Post by The Blacksmith » 14 Mar 2018 02:37

I'm wanting to make a base for my turntable. I have 4 vibracones for feet. What is the best wood to use: mdf, plywood, or normal solid hardwood?

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Turntable base.

Post by Spinner45 » 14 Mar 2018 03:23

Painted or sealed MDF would be my choice.

aperkins3

Post by aperkins3 » 14 Mar 2018 14:02

I agree with spinner45 that MDF would be suitable and if you spray paint it carefully with a high gloss paint and polish well you will have a plinth that looks like the modern Ptoject TT's.

However my preference is for a natural look so a nice hardwood is better for this. I used Mahogany when I rebuilt my Thorens.

Both depend on your woodworking skills and experience and of course the correct tools.

The Blacksmith

Post by The Blacksmith » 14 Mar 2018 14:21

Are the vibracones a good option for feet or should I get some vibrapods? Any other options?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 14 Mar 2018 14:57

I had the following plinth made from solid oak since the original was plastic and some fake wood vinyl covering. I like the look of the natural woodgrain and the upgrade in quality.

The turntable was just placed on the receiver for the photo in case anyone is wondering.
Dual Oak Plinth 1 (1280x960).jpg
(536.51 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Dual Oak Plinth 2 (1280x960).jpg
(531.28 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Dual Oak Plinth 3 (1280x960).jpg
(494.42 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 14 Mar 2018 15:21

The Blacksmith wrote:I'm wanting to make a base for my turntable. I have 4 vibracones for feet. What is the best wood to use: mdf, plywood, or normal solid hardwood?

What make and model t.t. are you building this base for?

Cheers,
Al

The Blacksmith

Post by The Blacksmith » 14 Mar 2018 15:54

abs1 wrote:
The Blacksmith wrote:I'm wanting to make a base for my turntable. I have 4 vibracones for feet. What is the best wood to use: mdf, plywood, or normal solid hardwood?

What make and model t.t. are you building this base for?

Cheers,
Al
Right now a music Hall 2.2
Soon a mobile fidelity studiodeck.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by cats squirrel » 14 Mar 2018 16:50

both mdf and plywood are very poor for audio use. Hardwood covers hundreds of genera/species, probably thousands, so you need to be specific.

There are hard woods which would work, iron woods (about 30 species) and iron bark come to mind, along with Jarrah and Ipe. Maple would be borderline.

If treated for increased damping, oak, ash and even idigbo and olive wood could be suitable.

You may also consider resinated laminated bamboo, or other laminates. :D

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 14 Mar 2018 18:01

cats squirrel wrote:both mdf and plywood are very poor for audio use. Hardwood covers hundreds of genera/species, probably thousands, so you need to be specific.

There are hard woods which would work, iron woods (about 30 species) and iron bark come to mind, along with Jarrah and Ipe. Maple would be borderline.

If treated for increased damping, oak, ash and even idigbo and olive wood could be suitable.

You may also consider resinated laminated bamboo, or other laminates. :D
Laminated Birch plywood is very often used for custom t.t. plinths by expert builders of Thorens TD-124 and Garrard 301 & 401 motor units. In this use laminated plywood is NOT "very poor for audio use". Hide glue laminated Birch plywood along with slate both make some of the best t.t. plinths. On the other hand MDF, when tried, often exhibits a tendency to "muddy" the sound.

Cheers,
Al

cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by cats squirrel » 14 Mar 2018 18:07

you and the rest of the scientific world will have to disagree, then, Al.

Most (if not all) 'custom' plinths are made to look good, not sound good. Ply is poor, and slate (or ANY stone) even worse, it is far too stiff for plinth duty.

The only situation where the 'no good' materials are acceptable is for those who are looking for more excitement (that isn't in the original recording!). In that case, people look for 'enhancement' of the sound. I don't. :D

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 14 Mar 2018 18:28

cats squirrel wrote:you and the rest of the scientific world will have to disagree, then, Al.

Most (if not all) 'custom' plinths are made to look good, not sound good. Ply is poor, and slate (or ANY stone) even worse, it is far too stiff for plinth duty.

The only situation where the 'no good' materials are acceptable is for those who are looking for more excitement (that isn't in the original recording!). In that case, people look for 'enhancement' of the sound. I don't. :D
I suppose that "you and the rest of the scientific world" have proof, both anecdotal and measurable, that your contention is correct. Show me, and I might become a believer. Otherwise, I'll stick to what I've learned from the builders of custom 'tables and my own listening experiences.

Or are your own listening experiences limited to Lenco, and possibly Linn? Are you a "flat earther"?

Cheers,
Al

The Blacksmith

Post by The Blacksmith » 14 Mar 2018 20:43

Are there other ways besides making a platform?

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 14 Mar 2018 22:36

The subject of plinth design is not a 1 or 2 sentence subject.
You can delve as deep as you want to go with materials and the suitability
of specific designs for different types of drives and your budget.

As an introduction to the topic you can start with CLD [constrained layer design] construction where
materials of varying acoustic properties are stacked along with the accompanying boundary layers
to change vibration into heat energy.

And yes I have actually built plinths and there is no one best way, only alternatives.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Mar 2018 02:40

A good, solid, piece of furniture has always been the way people have placed their turntables on.
And it always served its purpose quite well.
No muss, no fuss.

The Blacksmith

Post by The Blacksmith » 15 Mar 2018 02:53

Spinner45 wrote:A good, solid, piece of furniture has always been the way people have placed their turntables on.
And it always served its purpose quite well.
No muss, no fuss.
I like that answer! Thanks Spinner.