Rega RP3 or planar 2

snap, crackle and pop
agypsy

Rega RP3 or planar 2

Post by agypsy » 19 Feb 2018 04:00

hello all,
this is my first post! :wink:
opening up a can of Rega worms.

so the RP3 ($695) and planar 2 ($675) are similar in price brand new. i've been searching and reading threads but i haven't come across any direct comparisons between these two. which is better?

a brief background. i'm not an audiophile by any stretch but i have been listening to vinyl since i can remember. i'm 52 years old and i grew up listening to and collecting vinyl. it took me 10 years before i bought a CD player. but i've never owned an "audiophile" system. i like a good sound system but i'm not going too extreme. the only TT's i've ever owned are technics 1200's with some modding here and there.
amps have been Mcintosh, yamaha, bryston. and speakers like dynaudio, klipsch and jbl.

QUESTIONS:

i know they will be similar in performance and quality but which one has the edge in sound overall? i know the planar 2 is a newer design but will it sound better than the RP3?

i don't have plans in the near future to upgrade any components but i would like the flexibility at some point. which TT is more upgrade friendly? and which one is best out the box?

which tonearm is better, the RB303 or the RB220?

the RP3 uses a double brace and the planar 2 doesn't. how much does the double brace design contribute to the quality of sound?

i will be trying an Audio-Technica Art 9 cart which is currently on a mostly stock SL1200 and it's the best cart i've heard on that 1200 but maybe over qualified. i've also tried this cart on an Oracle Delphi MKlV with an FR-64fx tonearm and it sounded amazing. i'm hoping it would do well on a new rega.

any Help would be appreciated. thanks!
Russ

TD 166 MKII
Canada

Re: Rega RP3 or planar 2

Post by TD 166 MKII » 19 Feb 2018 07:27

Hi Russ, I guess we are the same age and most likely went through the same thing playing Vinyl and buying it until they where gone from the stores, and here we are back again and enjoying that journey of playing a side of a Lp while looking at some of the great art work that graced the fronts and middle and backs of the covers.
As to your question, I do not know much on the Rega tables but I think I would go with the RP3 which I believe comes with the RB303 arm and has a good reputation and it does have the brace also.

Good luck!!

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 19 Feb 2018 14:32

I think the lack of antiskate adjustment on the Planar 2/RB220 would make me go for the RP3/RB303 particularly with a cartridge like the ART.

dleh

Post by dleh » 19 Feb 2018 15:03

Welcome Russ,

I agree with DeepEnd, the fixed antiskate on the RB220 would be a deal breaker for me. But is there actually something wrong with your current Technics?

Also with either Rega, with your Art 9 you'll probably want to add a VTA shim to raise the arm for the taller cartridge. That can then lead to the counterweight fouling the lid. I don't want to put you off, as these are easily remedied (do a quick search as there are threads on this in the Rega section), but just be aware. Though if you're buying from a local dealer then I'd expect them to set all this up for you.

David

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 19 Feb 2018 16:33

The tonearm alone would make me go for the RP3. You need the adjustability if you plan to change cartridges, especially ones that come with an exotic (Shibata, Line Contact, etc.) stylus profile.

Cheers,
Al

agypsy

Post by agypsy » 19 Feb 2018 21:45

thanks for the feedback guys!

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 19 Feb 2018 22:21

Another +1 for the RP3, but if you still have the Technics I wouldn't bother with a new TT if it works well, just get a new cart or 2