help : Teac Magnefloat TS-80 - Rare Beauty

snap, crackle and pop
Thunderbox
Canada

Re: help : Teac Magnefloat TS-80 - Rare Beauty

Post by Thunderbox » 29 May 2018 14:07

spot245 wrote:No don't think there's an app to fix this ...unless it can identify the motor and provide the correct cap values for it to run at 33 & 45.
I'm not interested in any "home repairs" ...it's just working around the real issue. I have spent quite a few hours fixing (or more accurately removing) "ad-hoc" repairs on different turntables. The manufacturer usually had it right so reverting back to original specs usually fixes problems.

I can't see how knowing the speed it's running at is at all relevant :roll: There is a problem that is causing the turntable to run slow. I have checked everything that may impede the speed (clean & oil bearing for example) and the only remaining thing is the caps...believe it's called isolating the problem....same thing a good mechanic would do with a car motor running incorrectly.

thought the motor was asynch and the caps were for motor start and noise suppression ...but now that i know the caps are integral to the operation of the motor I'm confident that new ones will resolve the problem.

cheers
Good luck with the cap replacement. If it works let us know and if it doesn't then you are back to where you are now. My experience has been that motors dependent on the hrz are great but once the pulleys wear and changing caps has it's limits.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 29 May 2018 16:40

Thunderbox wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:
Thunderbox wrote:There is an app for your phone called RPM Calculator. You set the phone on the platter and it tells you the speed. Accurate as can be I have verified on my phone and it's dead on. I am sure it depends on the phone but give it a try. If you are only off by an rpm or so you can usually fix that by changing the belt width. If not I put a thin coat of lacquer on the pulley by putting it in a drill and spaying it on as it rotates slowly. You have to make sure the lacquer is good and dry before trying it.

Oh please!
Those RPM "apps" are worthless junk for the cellphone-addicted crowd.
Let the man use the original and accurate strobe disk, specifically made for turntable use.
Because "apps" are not the right "go to" for everything in the world.
Problem is those strobe discs only tell you when you have the speed correct. They don't tell you how fast or slow the platter is turning. The phone app just helps a person know how much the speed is off. Call the app a piece of junk if you want but it has proven to be a valuable tool for turntables.
All one needs to really know is IF a given turntable is "on speed" or or "fast/slow" or not.
None of this obsessive crap about "it's running slow at 32.1605 RPM nonsense.
A simple row of dots or bars on a strobe or turntable platter has ALWAYS been sufficient, and plenty accurate enough.

Thunderbox
Canada

Post by Thunderbox » 29 May 2018 20:47

.[/quote]

Oh please!
Let the man use the original and accurate strobe disk, specifically made for turntable use.
Because "apps" are not the right "go to" for everything in the world.[/quote]
Problem is those strobe discs only tell you when you have the speed correct. They don't tell you how fast or slow the platter is turning. The phone app just helps a person know how much the speed is off. Call the app a piece of junk if you want but it has proven to be a valuable tool for turntables.[/quote]

[/quote] All one needs to really know is IF a given turntable is "on speed" or or "fast/slow" or not.
A simple row of dots or bars on a strobe or turntable platter has ALWAYS been sufficient, and plenty accurate enough.[/quote]

If you have a turntable that doesn't have a strobe, it doesn't have any adjustment and you know it's not at the correct speed you have to know how fast or slow it's going to make the proper adjustments. I work on turntables all the time and many of the synchronous motor types are running at the wrong speed and if you need to know if the belt needs to be wider or slimmer and if pulley needs to be bigger or smaller is kind of important. If you don;t want to use anything but a strobe, suit yourself but don't try to tell others that knowing the speed is not important because in the art of getting it right, it is.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 30 May 2018 00:31

Thunderbox wrote:.
Oh please!
Because "apps" are not the right "go to" for everything in the world.[/quote]
Problem is those strobe discs only tell you when you have the speed correct. They don't tell you how fast or slow the platter is turning. The phone app just helps a person know how much the speed is off. Call the app a piece of junk if you want but it has proven to be a valuable tool for turntables.[/quote]

[/quote] All one needs to really know is IF a given turntable is "on speed" or or "fast/slow" or not.
A simple row of dots or bars on a strobe or turntable platter has ALWAYS been sufficient, and plenty accurate enough.[/quote]

If you have a turntable that doesn't have a strobe, it doesn't have any adjustment and you know it's not at the correct speed you have to know how fast or slow it's going to make the proper adjustments. I work on turntables all the time and many of the synchronous motor types are running at the wrong speed and if you need to know if the belt needs to be wider or slimmer and if pulley needs to be bigger or smaller is kind of important. If you don;t want to use anything but a strobe, suit yourself but don't try to tell others that knowing the speed is not important because in the art of getting it right, it is.[/quote]

Your barking back at things that I never said.
I never said speed accuracy is not important, but I don't think a lousy fraction of an RPM is worth worrying or obsessing about, since most people cannot hear if it is anyway.
What I said was apps are some nonsensical thing dreamed up for "smart" phones and seems to be "the thing" these days, because people have fallen into relying on them for everything.
And that's lame, as well as those "strobe apps" being inaccurate. (it's been talked about on here already)

A paper (or metal) strobe disk was and IS the best and most accurate way to determine speed accuracy of a turntable.
This website has them FREE for downloading and printing, of course.

And by the way, I've been servicing turntables, changers, and jukeboxes for over 40 years now, so save the "I work on turntables all the time" for someone much less experienced.

Thunderbox
Canada

Post by Thunderbox » 30 May 2018 07:12

We are done. You can't and won't listen. No point in continuing. I simply wrote a response to a problem someone was having. They can use the information or not, that is there choice. You have added nothing to the discussion other than negativity. Again, we are done.

spot245

Post by spot245 » 31 May 2018 07:23

capacitor-run induction motor ....
of course i'm having trouble matching the values with anything at the electronics store... #-o
does anyone know how critical the cap values are to the speed ?

MP Condenser
0.6 Uf
350 wv.dc
Towa (manufacturer)

so is the type relevant ? (metallic paper)
is the voltage (350 wv.dc??) relevant ? i have a choice of 100 or 650 :?

any help or info appreciated

cheers