I have an unusual problem with an unusual turntable , wondering if anyone has any ideas.
It's a beautiful unit ,seems very rare , very well built with a beautiful tonearm & exceptional bearing ,so I'm persisting with restoring it with original parts intact.
Teac Magnefloat TS-80 , arm is a Grace can't remember model at the moment...http://audio-heritage.jp/TEAC-ESOTERIC/ ... ts-85.htmlhttps://www.olx.bg/ad/prodavam-visokoka ... 5VuX0.html
Problem is basically speed ....
When i first tried it there was a lot of vibration & resulting noise from the motor and was running slow.
First issue was the usual rotten rubber motor supports, motor had collapsed & spindle was way too low - found some suitable replacement rubbers & fitted them no problem, now sitting at correct height.
tried some oil in the bearings & got the same slow speed - no change
tested the power (as it is 100v on rear of unit) & found power was a bit under approx 96volts.
someone has resolved the power issue (240volt Australia) by "fitting" in some old 100 volt transformer that was presumably liberated from something else ?
fortunately nothing was damaged in the process of butchery so i removed it and ran a standard 110volt step down transformer
I thought the step up in power to 110v would speed up the motor but it remained at the same slow speed - no change
ended up removing the motor & investigating further ... discovering an adjustable grub screw/ lock nut at the base.
there was a small indent at the motor pivot point & i figured it was the right shape for a ball .. apparently missing.
I found a ball bearing the right size & replaced / adjusted it.
the motor now runs silently & perfectly balanced and quiet...
but still ran at the same slow speed - no change
tried different belts and have adjusted (it has adjustable motor supports) to increase & decrease tension but...
still ran at the same slow speed - no change
finally tried switching to 60Hz (even though we have 50Hz) and this made the motor run a bit faster although still not quite enough.
it is an asynchronous motor , looks very well made & is running perfectly it seems just not at the right speed.
I'm out of ideas & Hoping someone can assist before i resort to changing the motor.
Thanks from downunder Australia