the home of the turntable

how to replace 1019 steuerpimpel??

snap, crackle and pop

how to replace 1019 steuerpimpel??

Postby dvtrap » 17 Feb 2018 21:35

Hi, I could use some Help on how to remove the 1019 "pimpel"..I would like to either
replace it or add the 'EPOXY' REPAIR....But I don't know how remove it from the
deck....I can see it but there is a metal lever right over it (it's very close to the top of the "pimpel". Are there any videos or pics or literature. on this site or Youtube? I can't find anything on line on this subject for the 1019....Thanks for
any Help...Dom
dvtrap

United States of America

Re: how to replace 1019 steuerpimpel??

Postby Spinner45 » 17 Feb 2018 22:47

The main control lever has to be removed.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby nat » 18 Feb 2018 01:48

Hmm - I don't know about removing steuerpimels, since the ones I've replaced weren't there to begin with when I got the tables. But I just shoved a piece of zip cord insulation onto the post, and it worked perfectly, but my point is that it's possible to reach in there without any disassembly. Obviously if the steuerpimpel needs to be unscrewed, it might be much harder.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Spinner45 » 18 Feb 2018 02:50

nat wrote:Hmm - I don't know about removing steuerpimels, since the ones I've replaced weren't there to begin with when I got the tables. But I just shoved a piece of zip cord insulation onto the post, and it worked perfectly, but my point is that it's possible to reach in there without any disassembly. Obviously if the steuerpimpel needs to be unscrewed, it might be much harder.

Shoving wire insulation is such a weak cheap "fix".
Duals are great turntables, and deserve to be repaired properly.
I hope you're not a repair shop tech, because I wouldn't trust my euipment to a place that does that kind of repair. [-X
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Doug G. » 18 Feb 2018 07:00

Ah spinner, you really don't have to add your snide, denigrating, comments. You could have just written that you prefer to replace a part with original stuff.

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 18 Feb 2018 09:41

Doug G. wrote:Ah spinner, you really don't have to add your snide, denigrating, comments. You could have just written that you prefer to replace a part with original stuff.

Doug

When I hear of someone doing a "butcher job" on a fine piece of equipment, it bothers me.
At a car dealer, for instance, if the mechanic does shoddy work, of course I'm going to express my displeasure.
Would YOU contain yourself, remain pleasent, if you had an accident and almost lost control of the car?
Knowing the work done was a "quick fix" by the mechanic?
I'd bet you'd use choice language too.
I realize turntables and cars are different animals, but I think my point was clear.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 18 Feb 2018 10:54

There is a section with photos showing how this procedure is done in the servicing guide which is available through member mrow2 aka Don. there is also a lot of other useful info.

I've gotten regular type pimpels, motor hardware and alvania grease from him and he provides a copy of the guide in pdf format along with those.

Also refer to this section in the Dual Forum with downloads or Dualcan's site with pictorials.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65030
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Copperhead » 18 Feb 2018 13:17

Spinner45 wrote:
Doug G. wrote:Ah spinner, you really don't have to add your snide, denigrating, comments. You could have just written that you prefer to replace a part with original stuff.

Doug
Would YOU contain yourself, remain pleasent, if you had an accident and almost lost control of the car?

Sounds dangerous. Will send Nat a PM straight away. Damn steuerpimpel.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Copperhead » 18 Feb 2018 13:19

Spinner45 wrote: Would YOU contain yourself, remain pleasent, if you had an accident and almost lost control of the car?

Sounds dangerous. Will send Nat a PM straight away. Damn steuerpimpel.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby nat » 18 Feb 2018 15:39

In my defense, I have to plead that no turntable I've fixed has caused personal injury.
I get that people feel that objects need to be treated with respect. I feel the same way, and my house and shed are testimony to that curatorial impulse.
But I do not see every Dual as equally sacred, and even the 1019, which is a great table, isn't a rare icon that must be pampered. It's a turntable, not Western Civilization.
I also disagree with the condemnation of the replacement part. When I figured out it worked, you couldn't buy steuerpimpels anywhere I knew of, so it was a choice of giving up on the automatic functions, cannibalizing another table (or multiple tables since many steuerpimpels are cracked and if they haven't failed already, will break when removing or fitting), or kludging it.
Less than a penny worth of zip cord insulation works just as effectively as a steuerpimpel, probably lasts as long, if not longer than the steuerpimpel, and is readily available. I fail to see what's wrong with using it.
I guess it would be morally purer to charge a pile of money for an absurdly expensive part and the labor to get and install it, but for most people, that price would be prohibitive - the table would be tossed. So much for protecting wonderful turntables.
By the way, I am not a professional repair person, but I buy/sell/repair turntables as a hobby. Most of the people I work for are old ladies who want to keep listening to their record collection, or teenagers who want to try vinyl. For this sort of person, cost is a very keen consideration. Well off collectors generally will go to the one or two places that still do such work and charge an arm and a leg to cover their overhead, or just buy something new.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Copperhead » 18 Feb 2018 18:29

nat wrote:In my defense, I have to plead that no turntable I've fixed has caused personal injury.
I get that people feel

It's all fun and games until one of those inferior steuerpimpels flies off and has someone's eye out.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Doug G. » 19 Feb 2018 06:40

Spinner45 wrote:

Doug

When I hear of someone doing a "butcher job" on a fine piece of equipment, it bothers me.
At a car dealer, for instance, if the mechanic does shoddy work, of course I'm going to express my displeasure.
Knowing the work done was a "quick fix" by the mechanic?
I'd bet you'd use choice language too.
I realize turntables and cars are different animals, but I think my point was clear.

I understand all that and I hate substandard work too. However, I believe nat wasn't intimating he would do that if he worked, repairing turntables as a profession. He just related that's what he did to fix a specific unit.

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Doug G. » 19 Feb 2018 06:42

Copperhead wrote:
nat wrote:In my defense, I have to plead that no turntable I've fixed has caused personal injury.
I get that people feel

It's all fun and games until one of those inferior steuerpimpels flies off and has someone's eye out.

This is one reply that has me wishing this forum had a "like" function.

:D

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Doug G. » 19 Feb 2018 06:49

It's all about friction, my friends.

:D

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Cloudbase » 19 Feb 2018 15:36

Doug G wrote

This is one reply that has me wishing this forum had a "like" function.

Indeed i have for some time wondered just what is this elusive creature the "steuerpimple" and if google search will confirm its mysterious form ! But just like left handed haggi (the plural of haggis) it remains a mystery to me.......... perhaps one day. :?
Cloudbase

England

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms