the home of the turntable

Help Loud Noise When Turntable Spins

snap, crackle and pop

Help Loud Noise When Turntable Spins

Postby RareRascal225 » 15 Feb 2018 02:47

Hi, so this is my first post here. I am having a big problem with my turntable. It is a Zenith B916DE (at least I think that's the model), and it's in a stereo console. The thing works great, sounds great, and spins at the correct speed. The issue is that there is a very loud noise coming from the turntable when it's on. It's like a grinding noise with some rattling. I just want to know what the exact problem is and how exactly I should fix it. I can't seem to find anything else covering this.
RareRascal225

United States of America

Re: Help Loud Noise When Turntable Spins

Postby musicmn » 15 Feb 2018 03:05

Hi, this is and idler wheel drive turntable that means a small rubber idler wheel is used to spin the platter. This idler wheel touches both the motor and a rim on the underside of the platter. What has most likely happened is that the rubber idler wheel has turned hard as plastic from age. It should be soft and pliable not hard. Good thing is that the idler wheel can be rebuilt or replaced. Once this is done and the turntable serviced correctly it should run quietly. From what I have been told who ever made these idler wheels for zenith did not vulcanise the rubber and it just turns to plastic over the yrs. You will need to remove the platter and check the idler wheel. If it's hard then remove it and send it in to be rebuilt or replaced. One of the best places I have found for this is http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Over the yrs I have sent Gary Stork who runs this site quite a few idler wheels to be rebuilt. He has never let me down and his prices are fair. I hope this helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby RareRascal225 » 15 Feb 2018 03:09

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe you're right, and I will look into doing what you said. do you think that a local record store is capable of doing this too?
RareRascal225

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 15 Feb 2018 03:46

RareRascal225 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I believe you're right, and I will look into doing what you said. do you think that a local record store is capable of doing this too?

Doubtful, record store employees are sales oriented, not techs.
find a tech.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 15 Feb 2018 03:50

musicmn wrote:Hi, this is and idler wheel drive turntable that means a small rubber idler wheel is used to spin the platter. This idler wheel touches both the motor and a rim on the underside of the platter. What has most likely happened is that the rubber idler wheel has turned hard as plastic from age. It should be soft and pliable not hard. Good thing is that the idler wheel can be rebuilt or replaced. Once this is done and the turntable serviced correctly it should run quietly. From what I have been told who ever made these idler wheels for zenith did not vulcanise the rubber and it just turns to plastic over the yrs. You will need to remove the platter and check the idler wheel. If it's hard then remove it and send it in to be rebuilt or replaced. One of the best places I have found for this is http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Over the yrs I have sent Gary Stork who runs this site quite a few idler wheels to be rebuilt. He has never let me down and his prices are fair. I hope this helps.

Idlers, belts, motor mounts, wire sheathing, etc. naturally deteriorate over the years, just like in cars.
Chemical changes happen, outgassing, acids in the air have effect, it's natural.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby RareRascal225 » 19 Feb 2018 01:00

I've removed the platter and I'm not sure if it is the rubber on the wheel that is the issue. the motor sounds fine but the idler itself makes a weird humming noise that is quite loud, you can hear it over the record. another thing is that this player has a reject function, which gets sometimes constantly lifts the needle, puts it back down, then shuts it off as soon as it is powered on. while this is happening, the platter seems to slip and stops moving while the motor is running, freezing the process until it is spun by hand. the arm also doesn't reject at the end of a record. any advice??
RareRascal225

United States of America

Postby musicmn » 19 Feb 2018 01:34

Is the rubber on the idler wheel soft and pliable? If so then the noise could be from the lack of lubrication on the shaft that the idler wheel spins on. As for the other problems it's old dried up grease in the mechanism. This is a very common issue with all these old stacking type turntables. I have serviced quite a few of these over the past few years and all suffered from this issue. The only way to make them work correctly is to remove the mechanism. Clean out all of the old grease then use fresh grease as you reassemble the mechanism. Even the motor should be disassembled the bearings clean with alcohol and new oil put in both the upper and lower bearings. By now the bearings in these turntables are dry as a bone. Do not spray wd 40 in the mechanism or just try to oil everything. All this does is make a bigger mess to clean. Most likely some where in the mechanism a lever is frozen or semi frozen to a post it's mounted to. That's why the platter comes to a stop and you have to push it to complete the cycle. Don't forget turntables like this are pushing 40 plus yrs of age and most of them have never had any service done to them.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 19 Feb 2018 06:38

From my experience with those Zenith 2G-by-VM changers, they ALL now have hardened idlers, and must be replaced, along with servicing the whole under chassis mechanism.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby RareRascal225 » 20 Feb 2018 18:18

Thanks for the responses. Where will I find the idler wheel for purchase, and how will I replace it?
RareRascal225

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 20 Feb 2018 18:42

www.thevoiceofmusic.com has the replacment.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms