the home of the turntable

Belt Comes off Platter at 45rpm

snap, crackle and pop

Belt Comes off Platter at 45rpm

Postby drummerdave » 14 Feb 2018 00:36

Hi All,
I've had my Gyro SE for about a year and I'm enjoying it immensely, however there is a problem. When I change the belt to the larger motor pulley to play a 45 the belt comes off the platter.
Has anybody else experienced this? I'm thinking that the suspension is set too high so that the lower pulley pulls the belt down. Maybe to test this theory I should raise the motor height to see if it makes a difference?
Any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks.
D
drummerdave

United Kingdom

Re: Belt Comes off Platter at 45rpm

Postby tlscapital » 14 Feb 2018 01:28

Before you do anything, did you clean the pulley, the platter's side and the belt with some isopropyl ?
tweaked Thorens TD145+'Eagle & RoadRunner'
4 mats; LP vinyl topped with felt+cork+leather
SME 3009 'Imp' converted to heavy mass
Denon DL-102 in Ortofon bakelite SPU
Isem 'Modulis'+Etalon 'Exampli'
12" Leak 2 ways 'Sandwich' 15 OHMS
tlscapital

Belgium

Postby tcolegrove » 14 Feb 2018 01:41

I'm not familiar with that turntable but I'm wondering if the motor pulley is either too high or too low on the motor shaft. Is there a way to set it to 45rpm and watch the belt on the pulley? That may provide the needed fix if it's sliding off the pulley.
Yamaha CR-1020 driving Yamaha P-2200 into Snell Sub-500 and Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (A-side) and Dynaco A-25 (B-side). Technics SL-1210 mkII and Empire 598 for inputs along with Dragonfly USB DAC for streaming.
tcolegrove

United States of America

Postby drummerdave » 14 Feb 2018 14:40

tlscapital wrote:Before you do anything, did you clean the pulley, the platter's side and the belt with some isopropyl ?

No, it's never been cleaned.
drummerdave

United Kingdom

Postby drummerdave » 14 Feb 2018 14:43

tcolegrove wrote:I'm not familiar with that turntable but I'm wondering if the motor pulley is either too high or too low on the motor shaft. Is there a way to set it to 45rpm and watch the belt on the pulley? That may provide the needed fix if it's sliding off the pulley.

I think the pulley is too low so it pulls the belt down off the platter. The suspension is adjustable but before I go messing with that I was thinking of raising the motor (by placing a cd(s) beneath it) to see if it makes a difference. If that works I can screw down the suspension.
drummerdave

United Kingdom

Postby tcolegrove » 14 Feb 2018 15:46

Instead of that - see if you can just adjust the pulley on the motor shaft. It’s likely to have a setscrew to loosen
Yamaha CR-1020 driving Yamaha P-2200 into Snell Sub-500 and Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (A-side) and Dynaco A-25 (B-side). Technics SL-1210 mkII and Empire 598 for inputs along with Dragonfly USB DAC for streaming.
tcolegrove

United States of America

Postby tlscapital » 14 Feb 2018 16:40

drummerdave wrote:
tlscapital wrote:Before you do anything, did you clean the pulley, the platter's side and the belt with some isopropyl ?

No, it's never been cleaned.

Well this little isopropyl clean is always welcome from to time. The belt force in order to work need some grip. Naturally with time, grease/dirt will add up and induce too much "slip". And where all that is needed is horizontal pulling force if too much slide comes in, the whole game will be challenged vertically as well.

But if the height adjustment of the motor pulley and/or platter is either too high or too low,this will set the belt working off it's horizontal axe in regard to the required pull/tractation force/action and the belt will be force to drop either down or up. Surely with the curved tracks on the platter this can be easily adjusted by the eye.
tweaked Thorens TD145+'Eagle & RoadRunner'
4 mats; LP vinyl topped with felt+cork+leather
SME 3009 'Imp' converted to heavy mass
Denon DL-102 in Ortofon bakelite SPU
Isem 'Modulis'+Etalon 'Exampli'
12" Leak 2 ways 'Sandwich' 15 OHMS
tlscapital

Belgium

Return to Turntables and Tonearms