the home of the turntable

anti skate not working?

snap, crackle and pop

anti skate not working?

Postby Sterling1 » 13 Feb 2018 14:25

Recently, I attempted to fine tune my AT-120 turntable's anti skate setting. Using the Shure Test Record I discovered no matter what setting the anti skate was adjusted to there was no effect on the playback, each channel sounded the same. What's up with that? BTW, while on a YouTube channel reviewing this turntable, the author said this turntable's anti skate function was an issue. At any rate, it does appear to not be functional. Any informed opinion here?
Last edited by Sterling1 on 13 Feb 2018 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Sterling1

United States of America

Re: anti skate not workign?

Postby Ender Wiggin » 13 Feb 2018 14:30

Hi,
I have no direct experience, but from what I read on the AT120, the AS is well known for its inefficency. It is said that the problem lies in the spring, too long. When shortened, the AS starts to be effective, but you need to open the turntable.
I have no more informations, sorry.
Bye

Luca
Ender Wiggin

Italy

Re: anti skate not working?

Postby plyscds » 13 Feb 2018 17:30

Sterling1 wrote:Recently, I attempted to fine tune my AT-120 turntable's anti skate setting. Using the Shure Test Record I discovered no matter what setting the anti skate was adjusted to there was no effect on the playback, each channel sounded the same. What's up with that? BTW, while on a YouTube channel reviewing this turntable, the author said this turntable's anti skate function was an issue. At any rate, it does appear to not be functional. Any informed opinion here?

I am assuming that you are referring to either an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 (the older model) or an AT-LP120USB (the newer version). Both versions have a DJ-oriented tonearm that has given fits to some hi-fi aspiring owners. Before you go assuming you have something which needs "fixed" take time to actually listen to what your turntable is putting out. Your listening test can use either a monaural (mono) recording which will put all it's sounds in the center of the soundfield, or a stereo recording with a particular sound you know should be in the center of the soundfield. If using external speakers position yourself back and centered an equal distance from both speakers, and then listen for your target center sound. If it appears in the middle of what you hear then you need not do anything to your tonearm. You can do the same listening test with a set of headphones, and if your anticipated centered sound appears to come from the center of your head, everything is working as it should and you can let everything alone. Make sure you actually have a problem before trying to fix one.
plyscds
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms