the home of the turntable

Correct cartridge /stylus 'style'?

snap, crackle and pop

Correct cartridge /stylus 'style'?

Postby t_l_miller » 13 Feb 2018 05:08

My son recently purchased a Pioneer PL-S40 table and I am trying to Help him purchase a modestly priced cartridge/stylus replacement. I have a couple of questions, primarily about the style of the tonearm and headshell on this particular table.

The headshell appears to be a 'p' style, but rather than having the locking 'nut' right behind the headshell, there is a small set-screw that needs to be removed and then the headshell can be slipped out of the tonearm. It also appears that the tonearm separates just over halfway back, with the similar locking 'nut' that I see on most arms right behind the headshell. I've tried to separate the front section of the tonearm from the back, but it won't come apart and I obviously don't want to force anything.

I would like advice on what 'style' of cartridge is compatible with this tonearm. I have read a number of reviews about low to mid range set-ups and the AT95e seems like it might be a good choice for the price, but I'm not convinced it is compatible with the PL-S40?

Thanks in advance for any Help you can offer!
t_l_miller

United States of America

Re: Correct cartridge /stylus 'style'?

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Feb 2018 06:23

P mount arms are not compatable with 2-screw cartridges.
The service manual on here is also confusing as to exactly what cartridge it takes.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby t_l_miller » 13 Feb 2018 13:48

These pictures may Help? The headshell currently has an AT TR475U cartridge with a bent stylus; since I don't know the condition of the cartridge I want to start with a whole new set-up rather than just replace the stylus
Attachments
IMG_1565.JPG
PL-S40 headshell with current set-up
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG
t_l_miller

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Feb 2018 18:08

That cartridge is not a P mount style, it's the 2 screw type.
If nothing is wrong with the cartridge, then merely replacing the stylus assembly is what people usually do.
And there are several styi available for it, some as an upgrade.
I don't see having to replace the cartridge, it's an Audio Technica, and they are fine cartridges.
Styli are here: www.thevoiceofmusic.com
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby t_l_miller » 13 Feb 2018 18:34

OK, thank you Spinner, I appreciate your assistance.
t_l_miller

United States of America

Postby lini » 14 Feb 2018 00:41

tlm: I'd suggest you to consider the SS445E/U from Ebay vendor "wolfsbigbadgarage" for ca. 36 bucks. Just like your/your son's current TR475U, the SS445E/U also is a "renamed" AT102P family model, but equivalent to the AT122EP instead of just to the AT112EP. So those 36 bucks would buy you/your son a new old stock, original ATN122EP plus a spare AT102P family body (in case the one from the TR475U wouldn't work anymore - which hardly ever happens with AT MM bodies, though...) plus a complete set of accessories, also including a needle guard/protector. Given that the most recent incarnation of the halfinch-mount version of the AT122EP, the VM530EN, already is roundabout 180 bucks new, those 36 Dollars for the SS445E/U practically are a steal - so that I'd actually suggest you to grab two exemplars.

That being said, another attractive option from the same vendor would be the ATU4040EP (= renamed AT316EP) for ca. 35 bucks, which would even be slightly better than the SS445E/U in terms of needle quality due to sporting a diamond with a rectangular instead of just a round shank, so that it's got a slight advantage in terms of equivalent tip mass (ETM). However, disadvantages of the ATU4040EP compared to the TR475U and SS445E/U would be, that the AT3472P/301P family, which it belongs to, doesn't have a directly needle-compatible halfinch-mount counterpart, as well as that the choice of higher quality original AT needles for this family was a lot more limited. Hence the current upgrade path with the ATU4040EP would end at a 3rd party, bonded Shibata on straight non-anodised alu cantilever, whereas on the AT102P family bodies of the TR475U and SS445E/U you could still use any original "wider AT120E family" needle up to the current VMN60SLC...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Return to Turntables and Tonearms