the home of the turntable

Need Help with this one

snap, crackle and pop

Need Help with this one

Postby Gingerkid » 14 Jan 2018 01:36

I’m new to the turntable scene and was looking for some pointers and tips. As well Help identifying this turntable (if I can get the pic to post) I believe it’s a soundedign turntable. We got it cheap, and to be honest just want it to play records. We weren’t looking for the best of the best by any means. We are putting a new stylus in it (T3MD) but I’m concerned that it may not fix the issues we are having. The player turns and music will play however the needle/arm does not track inward to play the sone. It’s stuck in one position. However when moving the arm by hand it does move freely. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gingerkid

Canada

Re: Need Help with this one

Postby nat » 14 Jan 2018 02:06

SoundDesign was a low end company, so your table isn't, as you say, the best of the best. But originally it probably at least played records. Dried up lubricants are often the culprit in misbehaving older tables, but it is possible that it is simply worn out, the bearings being worn and sticking.
Post a picture - with luck, it's a BSR variant, which can usually be restored to operating condition. If it is not anything that can be repaired, at least you'll know and not waste time and money trying to fix something that is dead on arrival.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby Doug G. » 14 Jan 2018 03:36

Does it have cuing? If so, is the cuing mechanism completely releasing the tonearm when the arm is lowered?

Doug
Doug G.

United States of America

Postby Gingerkid » 14 Jan 2018 13:22

Thanks for helping out. You’ve got to simplify that a bit for me. Not sure what you mean by cuing.
Gingerkid

Canada

Postby Doug G. » 14 Jan 2018 22:09

Sorry. I mean does it have a lever you can use to raise and lower the tonearm? A cuing mechanism has a platform or pin that rises up and contacts the arm toward the rear to raise and lower it.

If the platform or pin doesn't lower all the way, it can interfere with the arm moving horizontally.

Doug
Doug G.

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms