the home of the turntable

Did Japan produce some of the best turntables?

snap, crackle and pop

Did Japan produce some of the best turntables?

Postby Jah » 07 Jan 2018 20:04

Which company mass produced some of the best turntables in the world especially vintage.

Was it Japan? Seems they do not really produce as much turntables as they used to maybe only Technics is probably the only manufacturer of Japanese turntables as now China produces much more turntables is this correct?
Jah

United Kingdom

Re: Did Japan produce some of the best turntables?

Postby totem » 07 Jan 2018 20:29

Is this a trick question?

If not you guessed correct as to models let the list begin.
totem

Canada

Postby analogaudio » 07 Jan 2018 20:48

Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby wart » 07 Jan 2018 21:57

in mass and best ones:
Micro Seiki, Japan. They did a lot of OEM also
wart

Postby E.Man » 07 Jan 2018 23:58

Yes.
TTs:JVC QL-Y5F & Denon DP-37F.
Carts:Ortofon MC10 Supremes.
Phono:Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2.
Amp:Bewitch KT88 (Gold Lion).
Speakers:Infinity Reference Studio Monitors.
E.Man
long player
long player

Australia

Postby ponytrekker » 08 Jan 2018 00:53

Define 'best'
ponytrekker

United Kingdom

Postby tckmet » 08 Jan 2018 03:07

I will not list or name a best table, but I personaly favor Technics but also like and use Yamahas, Mitsubishi, and JVC DD TTs and audio-technica tonearms.

A little history of Japans Electronic and Auomotive Industries after WW II, that war ravaged and starving country went from being that to the 2nd largest world economy in less than 3 decades mainly from the philosophy of W. Edwards Deming and his 4 core manufacturing points.

Better design of products to improve service
Higher level of uniform product quality
Improvement of product testing in the workplace and in research centers
Greater sales through side [global] markets

Now you have to look at the German quality and Swiss precision in their manufacturing and it is most excellent.

On a mass scale the Japanese had it down pat IMOO so maybe the thread should be about quality/numbers/price.

I know the Chinese have quantity and price but no quality.
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 08 Jan 2018 14:47

analogaudio wrote:lots of information here: http://www.vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php

I remember going to this website a long time ago and couldn't remember the URL until now. Thnak you, analogaudio! =D>
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby Vanni » 08 Jan 2018 17:03

Tricky question but I would go with Japan, and that's because even their basic entry level stuff was solid gear and generally better than the competition. Common sense says that if their BOTL stuff was decent enough then what about their TOTL? I trust you see what I'm getting at. One thing I can't stand though is that some people, mostly the newbies, think only of Technics when thinking of Japanese turntables. The upside to this is of course that loads of other great decks from the other makers are greatly under appreciated and therefore go for much less money on the auction sites. On the other hand, anything from Technics, even the most basic entry level deck, is the holy grail and the asking price is greatly inflated :lol:

Speaking of Micro Seiki, some hobbyists claim they helped design the Sansui SR-525, specifically the knife edge bearing tonearm. Some claim they helped out on other mid 70's Sansui decks. Anybody knows if this is true?
Vanni

Malta

Postby Jah » 08 Jan 2018 19:48

Vanni wrote:Tricky question but I would go with Japan, and that's because even their basic entry level stuff was solid gear and generally better than the competition. Common sense says that if their BOTL stuff was decent enough then what about their TOTL? I trust you see what I'm getting at. One thing I can't stand though is that some people, mostly the newbies, think only of Technics when thinking of Japanese turntables. The upside to this is of course that loads of other great decks from the other makers are greatly under appreciated and therefore go for much less money on the auction sites. On the other hand, anything from Technics, even the most basic entry level deck, is the holy grail and the asking price is greatly inflated :lol:

Speaking of Micro Seiki, some hobbyists claim they helped design the Sansui SR-525, specifically the knife edge bearing tonearm. Some claim they helped out on other mid 70's Sansui decks. Anybody knows if this is true?

What would be the under appreciated decks makes and models? Just that while browsing a few of the Older models i seen i must admit look much sturdier and built better then the Technics SL1200`s.
Jah

United Kingdom

Postby Vanni » 09 Jan 2018 17:49

Jah wrote:
Vanni wrote:Tricky question but I would go with Japan, and that's because even their basic entry level stuff was solid gear and generally better than the competition. Common sense says that if their BOTL stuff was decent enough then what about their TOTL? I trust you see what I'm getting at. One thing I can't stand though is that some people, mostly the newbies, think only of Technics when thinking of Japanese turntables. The upside to this is of course that loads of other great decks from the other makers are greatly under appreciated and therefore go for much less money on the auction sites. On the other hand, anything from Technics, even the most basic entry level deck, is the holy grail and the asking price is greatly inflated :lol:

What would be the under appreciated decks makes and models? Just that while browsing a few of the Older models i seen i must admit look much sturdier and built better then the Technics SL1200`s.

Far far too many to mention, by the usual Japanese suspects - JVC, Denon, Sansui, Pioneer and Micro Seiki for a start. But generally, a turntable will tell you if it is serious gear just by looking at it. That's what I do and then I check out forums like this one and see what those that have personal experience make of it. Obviously the problem is that it's very hard to grab yourself a bargain nowadays if you're shopping online and that's mostly down to two things. One is that sellers can easily look up what they have nowadays on forums like this one, and second is that even when they do not do that(and some inexplicably do), the whole world can see the auction listing and quickly jump on any gear selling for much less than it's worth.

Best place nowadays to grab a yourself a bargain is by either knowing fellow hobbyists or by visiting estate sales. Just keep that smart phone handy for when the time comes and you spot some serious looking gear :wink:

I still maintain though that generally, non Technics turntables go for much less, and the number of bidders is much lower too.
Vanni

Malta

Postby Sterling1 » 09 Jan 2018 19:00

0[1].jpg
0[1].jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 273 times
I vote for the Sony PS-8750. I still can't afford one. I do have a 40 year old Sony PS-4750 which, from specifications, holds its own today. Fitted with a Shure V15V-MR I cannot distinguish vinyl from CD, except for the occasional dust pops.
Sony PS-4750 TT with Shure V15V-MR & M97xE carts, Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro, TA-P9000ES analog multi-channel preamp, Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel power amp & TA-N80ES stereo power amp,JBL L100t3 main stereo speakers, B380 subwoofer,Sony TC-K950ES cassette recorder (2) PCM-7010F DAT recorders
Sterling1

United States of America

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 10 Jan 2018 10:34

Japanese produced some of the most advanced turntables and also one of the most sturdy one (SL-1200). But if you would ask audiophiles, they said to you that something that comes from the East and has a lot of plastic material is not acceptable for them. Audiophiles stayed with european made turntables. In the old days it was Lenco, Dual, Thorens, today it is more boutique production like Kuzma, Clearaudio, Linn etc.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Tinkaroo » 10 Jan 2018 10:43

Vinylfreak86 wrote:Japanese produced some of the most advanced turntables and also one of the most sturdy one (SL-1200). But if you would ask audiophiles, they said to you that something that comes from the East and has a lot of plastic material is not acceptable for them. Audiophiles stayed with european made turntables. In the old days it was Lenco, Dual, Thorens, today it is more boutique production like Kuzma, Clearaudio, Linn etc.

I agree that Japan made some excellent turntables, but so did some of the manufacturers you mentioned. The Japanese turntable industry was built upon what some of these other well established companies had accomplished.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby billshurv » 10 Jan 2018 11:37

I would suggest that there is some slightly biased reporting of history in the last two posts. The 'lot of plastic' is the lower end tables but if you look at an SP-10, which is the equivalent of the 'high end' decks in Europe at the time it wipes the floor with them in everything other than marketing rhetoric. But most of the magazines of the time were in the pay of their advertisers so pushed those brands and the whole 'DD' is bad movement started. Roll forwards and when a few years back an objective assessment of the timestep SL-1200 was made it was reported to be 'amongst the best'.

I think a lot of the problem was the long time it took for the idler cash cows to be killed.
billshurv

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms