The importance of a level turntable, we should take notice.

snap, crackle and pop
orsib

Re: The importance of a level turntable, we should take notice.

Post by orsib » 26 May 2019 13:15

Technics SL-J300R is NOT dynamically balanced as it has a fixed counterweight at the end of the tonearm.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 26 May 2019 15:40

The store i worked in during the late 60's and thru the seventies had a Dual playing a record upside down in the front window -only mod was that a special clip was used to hold the platter on. Effective POP display. Is the SL-J300R a deck that suspends the platter differently than the top plate ? Guess I'll have to look in the library ?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 26 May 2019 15:46

These were definitely very eye catching demos, although I don't think they really were indicative of turntable quality, but to the casual observer, they may have been perceived as so.

orsib

Post by orsib » 26 May 2019 15:52

audiopile wrote:
26 May 2019 15:40
The store i worked in during the late 60's and thru the seventies had a Dual playing a record upside down in the front window -only mod was that a special clip was used to hold the platter on. Effective POP display. Is the SL-J300R a deck that suspends the platter differently than the top plate ? Guess I'll have to look in the library ?
I think the platter and the tonearm are suspended differently. The tonearm is suspended on a rail (after all it is a linear tracking turntable) inside the lid while the platter is rather suspended to the plinth.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 26 May 2019 17:14

looked at the manual in the library -wish there was a service manual-but I'd still balance /adjust for level off the platter. I'd be real surprised if the dust cover/top of arm drive shroud was designed to be critically flat.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 26 May 2019 17:18

I believe most, if not all, of the linears, were designed so they did not need to be level.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 26 May 2019 18:05

I believe to some degree the thread and sled linears are less influenced by front to back leveling of a turntable/linear arm- but I still try to get side to side really level - in practical terms -this means I end up leveling the table 'cause it easier to get a table level in all plains rather than in just one . But I do think the design goal of the various T4P thread n sleds was to make'em darn near goof proof (defn: goof = customer/end user) and I think this is achieved.

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 26 May 2019 19:37

I think my next table will be a dynamically balanced one - I can place it sideways on my shelf, like a book. It sure would save a lot of cabinet space :)

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 26 May 2019 20:06

I'd level the platter, for that's where the action takes place.

orsib

Post by orsib » 26 May 2019 21:04

audiopile wrote:
26 May 2019 17:14
looked at the manual in the library -wish there was a service manual-but I'd still balance /adjust for level off the platter. I'd be real surprised if the dust cover/top of arm drive shroud was designed to be critically flat.
Technics SL-J300R service manual:

http://www.audioappraisal.com/wp-conten ... LJ300R.pdf

mjwraw

Post by mjwraw » 02 Jun 2019 21:25

Just something to throw in the mix, I've had two TTs, (an AR 'The Turntable' and a Project 6Perspex, both of which had VTA adjustable arms with twin hex screws to tighten/loosen), and in both cases it was possible to tighten those hex screws such that the arm was no longer perpendicular to the plinth. So, certainly for some tables, it's not just getting the plinth + platter flat, it's also necessary to check the arm is as well.

p_m
United States of America

Post by p_m » 04 Jun 2019 00:04

In my opinion the only place on the entire TT that level matters is the point where the stylus touches the record. I just put a small circular bubble level on the platter at a point where the stylus would be tracking on the record somewhere in the middle of the record and call it a day. If I feel like it I measure the level on the outer track of the record and inner track as well, again on the points where the stylus would be on the record.
But dont do this with the record on, or a soft (felt, leather) mat on, because the level could be influenced by the warps or uneveness of the mat or record.

I would never measure level on the plinth. Its possible that the motor or spindle assembly is not at the exact same level as the rest of the plinth as they are two seperate components/assemblies.