the home of the turntable

Thorens TD-125 MKII problems

snap, crackle and pop

Thorens TD-125 MKII problems

Postby twoshoes » 18 Dec 2017 15:29

Hello, please can you give me a little advice?
I have just received a beautiful refurbished TD-125 MKII , it cost me an arm and a leg, and I'm sad to say it's got issues straight out of the box..

Issue 1 is a rather loud pop on the speakers when I start it up. Is this normal? I have it earthed to the amp and the signal seems to be coming not only from the RCAs but the earth wire too.

Issue 2 is... no audio on the right leg... now obviously that's not normal. So I'm wondering if there are any know issues like this. It has an original TP-16 tonearm and an Ortofon OM10 stylus that I intend to replace with a Goldring, once I know I'm not going to have to send it back to Germany.

Any idea what might be going on?

thanks !
Tim
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Re: Thorens TD-125 MKII problems

Postby twoshoes » 18 Dec 2017 16:30

UPDATE:
I have cured the absence of R channel.. The RCA had to be replaced. poss and neg were shorting.

Still have a pop on start up though...

Any thoughts most welcome.

T
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Postby ponytrekker » 18 Dec 2017 16:30

There seems to be an issue with the suppression capacitor on these - see - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=70455 - As for the missing channel - that should be a simple continuity issue. Do you have a test meter? Presumably it was advertised as fully working?
ponytrekker

United Kingdom

Postby twoshoes » 18 Dec 2017 16:45

Thank you very much. I will take a look at that thread.
And yes, continuity test took me straight to the issue. Not expected form such a high end refurb.
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Postby ponytrekker » 18 Dec 2017 17:02

Yes, it's a bit of a quandary - spending all that on shipping - especially if you have lost confidence in the job they did of re-furbishing in the first place.
ponytrekker

United Kingdom

Postby twoshoes » 19 Dec 2017 16:07

I have parts on order. very much hoping it fixes the issue! I'll let you know. The motor board in this one doesn't tally with the schematics I've seen for the TD-125.
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Postby twoshoes » 22 Dec 2017 00:45

ponytrekker wrote:There seems to be an issue with the suppression capacitor on these - see - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=70455 - As for the missing channel - that should be a simple continuity issue. Do you have a test meter? Presumably it was advertised as fully working?

I still need a little Help please...
After installing the switch snubber circuitry as described by Coffee Phil in the previous thread I have a new strangeness going on...
The popping of the speakers has been completely eliminated, HOWEVER, when the TT is switched off, the motor is oscillating. That can't be good for it, or the belt... and is no doubt using electricity when off.
I have noticed in the process of this that the switch board doesn't resemble the schematic in the service manual, or the images posted on the other thread... what on earth have I got here ?
[pls ignore the the black and brown wires coming away from the switch. I removed the snubber I put on and those wires are currently going nowhere.]

Thank you
Tim

power board.JPG
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Postby twoshoes » 22 Dec 2017 16:38

All good now thanks folks.

2 higher value caps were required. 0.1uF was allowing AC through to motor when switch was off.

have a happy Christmas.
best wishes
Tim
twoshoes

United Kingdom

Return to Turntables and Tonearms