Sony PS-LX4 - 45 RPM inconsistent speed

snap, crackle and pop
kindgott

Sony PS-LX4 - 45 RPM inconsistent speed

Post by kindgott » 18 Dec 2017 10:01

Good day,

My Sony PS-LX4 works great at 33 rpm keeping a constant speed, but it slows down frequently when set at 45 rpm. Do you know if this is easily fixed or would this require some dedicated tools? I am really happy with this turntable and would prefer to keep it (unless the repair itself costs more than a new TT!)

If anyone has experience with this model or the LX5 which seems to be almost identical I would really appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Sony PS-LX4 - 45 RPM inconsistent speed

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Dec 2017 14:59

Old turntable, oxide on control surfaces, unreliable conductivity.
Clean the control pots with a good contact/control cleaner.

Cheers,
Alec

royal_mile

Post by royal_mile » 18 Dec 2017 19:04

I agree with Alec, cleaning the pots often stabilises the speeds.

In addition to this, I have a Sony turntable - different model - which suffered from micro-switch failure. These things are sometimes sealed which makes cleaning difficult - I replaced mine.

To complicate matters further, some Sony decks have a speed sensor which is similar to the speedo on a bicycle, there's a magnetic area on the platter and the sensor on my tt is mounted inboard of the rim. The service manual should confirm its existence and sensor to platter clearance adjustment method.

Steve

kindgott

Post by kindgott » 18 Jan 2018 17:30

Thanks Alec, Royal Mile. I had trouble accessing the forum again and could not reply before...
I have not been able to locate a service manual for this model but I presume it should be quite similar to its sibling the LX5 model. In that service manual I wasn't able to see any pots but I will check carefully again and will try myself.
Thanks once more! If I succeed I will post it so it could hopefully Help others.

richardc82

Post by richardc82 » 06 Feb 2018 13:20

Hi. I'm a new user here and am just getting back into vinyl.

I picked up the very same model Sony PS-LX4 turntable earlier this month and it had the same issue with 45rpm.

Cleaning the speed selector switch was very straightforward - no service manual needed. With the unit turned over, you only need to remove the (6?) screws that secure the panel underneath the front, not the whole base panel.

One more screw loosens up the small circuit board with the switch and quartz lock light. Quick spritz of contact cleaner and exercise of the switch and it all worked perfectly when put back together, with the quartz lock light now illuminating on both speeds.

Hope this helps.

Next up for me is an elliptical stylus upgrade, on its way from Amazon, as the current one sounds dull and I have no idea how old it is. Mine has the original Sony-specific headshell with XL 200 cartridge and ND 200 stylus. I would have liked to try a new cartridge altogether but this would require a new headshell with a fitment that is smaller than standard. I want to see if the TT is reliable over time before I spend much money on it.