Tonearm stops before the middle and goes back

snap, crackle and pop
Xplodera

Tonearm stops before the middle and goes back

Post by Xplodera » 15 Dec 2017 17:28

Hi! I recently inherited a modern vinyl-player from an old relative (I don’t even think she ever used it) and have been eager to play some of my vinyl records. But when I put on a record, it plays fine until a bit before the middle of the turntable — where the tonearm seem to think it’s done, lifts up and automatically slides back to its base-position. Basically, the record plays fine until about before/in the middle of the last track on the side, where the arm moves back. I've tried to manually and slowly move the arm towards the middle, but when it reaches that certain position it just lifts and goes back automatically. When the player is turned off, I can't move the arm fully to the middle without straining it a bit (which I've been trying to avoid) so wheither turned on or not, it seems to stop before it goes all the way in to the middle.

Does anybody happen to have a clue what might be the issue? Thanks!

ponytrekker
broken record

Re: Tonearm stops before the middle and goes back

Post by ponytrekker » 15 Dec 2017 17:38

Hello and welcome - don't strain it. Can you tell us the make and model of the TT - there's an awful lot of them out there!

Xplodera

Post by Xplodera » 15 Dec 2017 17:43

ponytrekker wrote:Hello and welcome - don't strain it. Can you tell us the make and model of the TT - there's an awful lot of them out there!
Oh of course, sorry about that! I believe it’s a Soundmaster NR545DAB. I’m from Sweden, so I don’t know if its a Swedish model (I’ve seen a lot of them around here) but hopefully there’s information about it in english as well.

ponytrekker
broken record

Post by ponytrekker » 15 Dec 2017 18:00

It's one of a crop of Chinese made 'retro' systems, which have disappointed a lot of buyers. The TT is likely to be common to all of them and, hopefully, someone on the forum will have experience of repairing them. I have avoided them thus far so I am unable to Help with the return mechanism they use.

Xplodera

Post by Xplodera » 15 Dec 2017 18:23

ponytrekker wrote:It's one of a crop of Chinese made 'retro' systems, which have disappointed a lot of buyers. The TT is likely to be common to all of them and, hopefully, someone on the forum will have experience of repairing them. I have avoided them thus far so I am unable to Help with the return mechanism they use.
That’s my impression as well. My parents have a similar system that’s been working pretty good, but it isn’t a system I would’ve investes in myself. Still, given my current situation I felt happy to inherit this one for free, so hopefully somebody will be familiar enough to have an idea of what might be the issue. Thanks a lot anyway!

Xplodera

Post by Xplodera » 27 Dec 2017 20:27

Hi, I just wanted to chip in with an update!

And, I solved it! Kind of. I managed to lift of the turntable to go underneath and found a little plastic lever-thing connected to the auto-return which seemed to block the tone arm from finishing its movement. So I unscrewed this little plastic thingy and put the turntable back (after figuring out how to reset the rubber band() and now it works.

The only real “issue” is that this disables the auto-return feature, so I’ll have to manually move back the arm once a side finishes — but since I would still have to go up and flip the vinyl anyway, I feel this is an easy sacrifice to at least have the music playing running smoothly.

Thanks Ponytrekker for trying to Help me, I really appreciate the gesture!