the home of the turntable

Do I need an amp?

snap, crackle and pop

Do I need an amp?

Postby piddy71 » 05 Dec 2017 23:18

Hi all! I've been saving up for a few years and I'm finally ready to buy my first hifi system. I'm a little confused about and however.

The turntable I'm getting is the Pro-ject essential 2 digital

Speakers:
Q-Acoustics 3020

My question is do I need an amp or will the turntable's one be sufficient. I'm on a relatively tight budget but I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I'm very new to vinyl.

Thanks in Advance
piddy71

United Kingdom

Re: Do I need an amp?

Postby smee4 » 06 Dec 2017 01:50

Yes you need an amplifier of some type. That turntable comes with a built in phono preamp, so you just need a power amp to amplify the sound before it gets to speakers. You could also buy speakers with the amp built in (powered speakers).

You could even just listen to it by connecting via USB to your computer, and use the amplifier built into the computer/speakers.
smee4

Postby Budddhacide » 06 Dec 2017 03:21

Buy used. You'll get a lot more value for your money. Might want to consider an external preamp as well. Have a look at the little bear thread in the preamp forum. That's probably the best budget investment you could make.
Pro-ject 6perspex, 2m black, dynavector 20x2
Little bear t10, bugle 2
Neat Motive SX3, Harbeth SHL5
Rogue Cronus Magnum v1 amp
Klipsch Sub-10
Akai 635 RTR, NAD M51 DAC
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby piddy71 » 07 Dec 2017 00:56

Thanks for the replys, I'll look for a power amplifier.
piddy71

United Kingdom

Postby willwill » 07 Dec 2017 14:56

piddy71 wrote:Thanks for the replys, I'll look for a power amplifier.

What you will need is an integrated amplifier.

This turntable has built in phono pre-amp but it just converts tt:s signal suitable for normal line level input. No volume control.

Regular pre-amp has input selector and volume control. Power amplifier has just one input and no volume control. Integrated amplifier does have all of this. I would go second hand with it. And you can always upgrade it later.
willwill

Finland

Postby willwill » 07 Dec 2017 15:46

Or you can check out the price for this: http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=jukeboxe&cat=turntables&lang=en

Just add speakers.
willwill

Finland

Postby jdjohn » 07 Dec 2017 16:00

If you want to go minimalistic, look for a class T amp. Topping is a brand I have used. They have some products on Amazon UK...not too expensive either.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby piddy71 » 07 Dec 2017 19:58

Thanks for the reply,the juke box is too much for me
piddy71

United Kingdom

Postby piddy71 » 07 Dec 2017 20:09

thank you all for helping me, getting into turntables is a daunting task.
thanks for your input I have got a full system now(listed below).
I've heard that some items clash with each other so do you think these will play nice?

TURNTABLE: Project essential 2 Digital
AMP: Topping TP30
SPEAKERS: Q acoustics 3020

thanks again for all your help
George
piddy71

United Kingdom

Postby jdjohn » 07 Dec 2017 21:20

Happy to help, George. You may wish that you had gone with a Topping that has more watts-per-channel. I see the TP30 has 15WPC, and your speakers have suggested 25-75WPC. It will work, but just don't try to crank it up too loud, or you'll start to get distortion. But it should be plenty loud for you anyway. You could always return it and swap for a 'bigger' one if desired.

If you experience any hum once you hook-up the turntable, you should be able to ground to the amp by loosening the little screw between the red/white RCA jacks, and slipping the tt grounding wire underneath. But the Pro-Ject may be self-grounded...won't know til you actually try.

Let us know how it goes!
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby piddy71 » 07 Dec 2017 22:57

Thank you!I should be getting everything after Christmas when the priced are hopefully lower. I can't wait!
I need to start getting some records now :D

Thanks again!
P.s is it considered poor ettiqute to post on a thread after it has been concluded? I may need to ask more questions later on
piddy71

United Kingdom

Postby JoeE SP9 » 07 Dec 2017 23:46

A thread is concluded only when people stop posting to it. Even then it can still be resurrected at a much later date by a new post.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 08 Dec 2017 00:48

piddy71 wrote:Thank you!I should be getting everything after Christmas when the priced are hopefully lower. I can't wait!
I need to start getting some records now :D

Thanks again!
P.s is it considered poor ettiqute to post on a thread after it has been concluded? I may need to ask more questions later on

You're very welcome...it's a great journey, so enjoy the ride!

JoeE has covered how threads can live on forever. But to get the best responses, it's always advisable to have as specific a topic as possible. Once you get all your gear, your questions may be different than 'Do I need an amp?', so might be best to start a new thread with new questions if you have them. And it's best to disclose all the gear you have when asking, which you've been doing already.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms