the home of the turntable

Is this turntable good enough?

snap, crackle and pop

Is this turntable good enough?

Postby milousolange » 14 Nov 2017 00:18

Hello everyone,

Since one year we have a turntable en started collecting records. Now we want an easy turntable “to go”. For example taking it with us to play records on holiday. We want one with built in speakers.

But hoe do I know the turntable is not rubbish and will destroy my records? I’m not looking for perfection but just good enough.

Now I received an advert about “Vintage Vinyl Retro Platenspeler”, suited for the needle Soundmaster NADEL02. At home we use our TEAC TN-300-R.

What do you think?
milousolange

Netherlands

Re: Is this turntable good enough?

Postby Spinner45 » 14 Nov 2017 01:15

Garbage, plain and simple.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby SpeakerMania » 14 Nov 2017 03:08

In the way of more positive input....if you have to go portable, from the turntables.com site, your best options are another TEAC, the PL-1000, and the Electohome Signature. This is the result of a quick google search, so hardly indepth or complete. Obviously, the sound from a portable cannot match a proper home setup, but to keep connected with your vinyl playing on vacation, options are apparently available. The Electrohome received the highest rating, the TEAC was second,....options deteriorated rapidly there after. Your availability may be an issue however. Good luck, and don't be easily deterred by other opinions, but do go for the best you can find and afford in this category. Bon chance! :D
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby ammarmariti » 14 Nov 2017 03:48

I would suggest getting a good ADC instead and ripping your records into digital file. Then you can bring those files with you on your travels. Buy a cheap turntable as a dummy, put records on it, let it play etc, but hook up the cables to your music player.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby milousolange » 14 Nov 2017 07:50

SpeakerMania wrote:In the way of more positive input....if you have to go portable, from the turntables.com site, your best options are another TEAC, the PL-1000, and the Electohome Signature. This is the result of a quick google search, so hardly indepth or complete. Obviously, the sound from a portable cannot match a proper home setup, but to keep connected with your vinyl playing on vacation, options are apparently available. The Electrohome received the highest rating, the TEAC was second,....options deteriorated rapidly there after. Your availability may be an issue however. Good luck, and don't be easily deterred by other opinions, but do go for the best you can find and afford in this category. Bon chance! :D

Thank you for the help! Do you have a link for a good comparisonwebsite? The TEAC isn’t available most of the time and I can’t find the Electrohome. I’m willing to pay more but I don’t know how I can see which turntables are good. I did find a lot of turntables who look almost the same, almost the same price and also the ability to convert the records to files on an usbdrive.

I really don’t know what and where to look now!
milousolange

Netherlands

Postby SpeakerMania » 14 Nov 2017 09:45

I've checked online a bit more, and one of the best sites I've found is bestturntables.com and also vinylandchampagne.com. Both give a good comparison of available turntables of the type you seem interested in. One of the ones I would recommend is the Crosley Nomad. Well regarded for this class, and can connect to external speakers if desired (attached speakers are adequate but not special). Quality varies in this category, so do some reading first, and select the one that best suits your needs and budget. Best regards... :D
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby Slavikcc » 14 Nov 2017 14:14

I must agree with Spinner45 that the new portable players are not good. Very poor sound reproduction with extremely variable (or rather, nonexistent) QC, which can really do a number on your records. They're all built either at Leetac or the Shenzhen Skywin OEM factories so no matter what you pick, they're all the same.

Also, both sites cited by SpeakerMania uses fake reviews and uses Amazon referrals for money going to the website owner(s), so they are far from objective in any meaningful way.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby vanakaru » 14 Nov 2017 15:49

One way to go would be to use modern USB TT like Lenco USB L78.....and portable active speaker like BOSE, Sony, JBL etc. Some of these speakers are really good for the small size. I have had Bose Sounddock and it was excellent. Lenco L78 USB is just an example I have not touched it personally.
Actually I have been thinking of rebuilding some 50'/60's portables to accept modern cartridge along with D-amp and car speakers inside. So you get nice vintage look and good sound.
I had once Sony PS-F5 and that was a cool thing. Now Crosley makes similar one.
tumblr_lys5j59ySa1qbfrmfo1_1280.jpg
vanakaru

Postby Slavikcc » 14 Nov 2017 16:07

There are several "portable" players made by Skywin and/or Leetac that are very similar to the Audio-Technica Sound Burger, but again, they're very poor quality in every respect. The OEM companies even built a player that is shaped as an old-school clock cabinet as well.

The one that are portable and not as dangerous as the Crosley-types would be the Gramovox Floating Record Vertical Player. It does have built-in speakers, however slightly better than the ones found in the suitcase atrocities. Also, they can be kind of annoying to place a record vertically.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby toaster999 » 14 Nov 2017 19:41

I don't know who you are. I don't know where you are. If you are looking at a Crosley, I can tell you its rubbish. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long(ish) Hi-fi career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people who like Crosley's. If you promise not to buy one, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will buy you a better 2nd turntable at the same cost. As long as you kill the Crosley.
toaster999

United Kingdom

Postby SpeakerMania » 14 Nov 2017 19:45

Once again, members jump on a request for information by a new member to promote their own points of view. The OP has a decent system at home, and is specifically looking for a portable unit to take with them on holidays. Not what I want nor have any specific experience with, but a reasonable request. I did in fact advise not to expect the best playback as compared to a home stereo setup, but pointed them in a direction that they were already seeking to go. It is up to the OP to make the decision, and they can only do that if they have adequate information, and less opinion. Instead of arguing points with one another, I think it more important to provide dialogue with the poster. We all know there is junk out there pretending to be quality, but positive input is more beneficial to the OP than a bunch of negative ranting. Most of us had to take cautious steps first in our pursuit of vinyl appreciation too, and there are many levels of participation. Here again....YMMV!!! :roll:
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby JoeE SP9 » 14 Nov 2017 19:47

toaster999, you are my kind of guy. =D>

Crosley's are junk. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves and others.

Anyone who feels the need to carry vinyl with them on holiday should buy something like a Behringer UCA-222 and convert their vinyl to MP3/FLAC or some other digital format. I don't quite understand why anyone would want to carry vinyl around while on vacation.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 14 Nov 2017 20:18

SpeakerMania wrote:Once again, members jump on a request for information by a new member to promote their own points of view. The OP has a decent system at home, and is specifically looking for a portable unit to take with them on holidays. Not what I want nor have any specific experience with, but a reasonable request. I did in fact advise not to expect the best playback as compared to a home stereo setup, but pointed them in a direction that they were already seeking to go. It is up to the OP to make the decision, and they can only do that if they have adequate information, and less opinion. Instead of arguing points with one another, I think it more important to provide dialogue with the poster. We all know there is junk out there pretending to be quality, but positive input is more beneficial to the OP than a bunch of negative ranting. Most of us had to take cautious steps first in our pursuit of vinyl appreciation too, and there are many levels of participation. Here again....YMMV!!! :roll:

Again, the players are built at the same Shenzhen Skywin OEM factory as the Electrohome Signature, Crosley Nomad, the TEAC LPU192CD, etc, sharing the exact same parts as the infamous Crosley Cruiser (in fact, the "Vintage Vinyl Retro Platenspeler" that milousolange cited is the EXACT same as the Crosley Cruiser) players. They exhibit the same problems as others and generally do not have very sound quality at all.

Unfortunately, it's not realistic to find a "portable" player that does not have the same terrible nonadjustable tonearm, bad tinny speakers, and horrible ceramic (or the bad AT3600L moving magnet in some of the low-end players) cartridge that will indeed damage records at a much higher rate. I wouldn't even recommend any Crosley Deluxe players with what appears to have a fake counterweight. Let alone the price range he's looking at. His best bet is probably the Gramovox, but it obviously costs a fair bit more.

And as JoeE SP9 eluded, portable players had their use decades ago but with the advent of easily porting lossless digital files and recordings, carrying around vinyl records and a portable player is not practical from a sound and logistical standpoint.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby bernard1 » 14 Nov 2017 21:53

Taking records on holiday, such a strange idea...
Why not using a portable cassette deck instead ? You don't take any risk with your precious records and you stay furiously vintage !
bernard1
contributor

France

Postby milousolange » 14 Nov 2017 22:57

Everybody thanks for all the advice. I’m not going to defend why I want this.

I just want to find a decent one, who doesn’t destroy my records and has built-in speakers.

Ofcourse I know that the suitcases aren’t of great quality but that wasn’t the origin of my question.

With my friend Google I found the Soundmaster NR545 DAB+, converting to mp3, digital radio are extra’s on this one. But really ugly in my opinion (although I like vinyl I also like modern...). Not sure what to think of do.
milousolange

Netherlands

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms