the home of the turntable

Marley Stir It Up turntable - playback issues at 33rpm

snap, crackle and pop

Marley Stir It Up turntable - playback issues at 33rpm

Postby LonePhantom » 13 Nov 2017 01:12

Hi there, first post. I dived into the world of Vinyl just a few weeks ago. I bought myself a House Of Marley Stir It Up turntable after reading some positive reviews from several sources. After I got it I saw some more reviews from people with some issues. I wasn't experiencing any of them so I figured those may have been teething issues with early release models. But I've discovered a new one, and I'm not sure if it's a design flaw with the unit, or something else.

I ordered a limited edition ep a few weeks back, and when I received it I found a strange problem. The end of the last song on side A wouldn't play to the end. The turntable would stop, maybe spin again momentarily, then stop again. I figured there was an issue with the pressing so I sent it back for a replacement.

Last week I bought Nirvana's In Utero, and found the same problem on the last song on side A again. Took the turntable back, and had it replaced. We tested in store, and it got further, but the record still cut out before the end. The staff were saying that sometimes records aren't always fitting everything on the vinyl for various reasons. I was a little dubious, but also swapped the record back at the store I bought it from. Same problem still.

Anyway, my replacement of the first problem record arrived in the mail today. Tried it, and same issue. It got a little further than on the first turntable, but still, cutting out. I decided to test something, play the record at 45rpm. Surprisingly, or not, I don't know, the record played all the way through the song at the higher speed. Pulled out In Utero, and the same, it made it all the way.

I guess my question is, could this be a cartridge related issue, as in, could a better quality cartridge replacement fix this issue, or am I looking at a design flaw in the motor start/stop procedure? I've emailed House Of Marley as well, but awaiting a response.

I'm loath to get rid of of the turntable and get something else, but I do love the look of the turntable (I know that's a bit silly), and it sounds great to me too, but I don't want to have problems playing some of my growing collection because if this strange problem.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)
LonePhantom

Australia

Re: Marley Stir It Up turntable - playback issues at 33rpm

Postby LonePhantom » 13 Nov 2017 03:11

A bit of an update. I've managed to get the end of side A of In Utero to play to the end now, and the other ep ever so close. I've had to ramp the anti-skate all the way to the maximum setting though. The counterweight pretty much on it's heaviest too, although I think the stock cartridge is recommended to have a fairly heavy counter weight setting.

Will excessive anti-skate, in combination with a heavy counterweight setup risk damage to records, or the needle? If this is my current issue, is there a chance a cartridge upgrade may help too?
LonePhantom

Australia

Postby LonePhantom » 14 Nov 2017 23:55

Well, since I didn't hear get any advice on what I could do, and the manufacturer provided stuff I already tried, I returned the unit and spent a bit more and got an Audio Technica AT-LP-120 USB. The Marley had all the features I needed, looked amazing, and the preamp sounded great, but the issues with the motor meant I had to get rid of it. It's a shame because I picked my speakers partially around the style of the Marley too. I doubt I'l have any issues with the AT-LP-120 at least though.
LonePhantom

Australia

Postby tim_bissell » 15 Nov 2017 01:00

I am not sure many people here will have seen a HoM record player, but you should certainly have no difficulties playing an LP through without skipping, so returning it was probably a good bet.

-- Tim
tim_bissell
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2017 02:49

House of Marley?
I would distance myself from that hunk of.... :shock:

Just another "new" so-called company in it for the cash.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby LonePhantom » 15 Nov 2017 03:22

Spinner45 wrote:House of Marley?
I would distance myself from that hunk of.... :shock:

Just another "new" so-called company in it for the cash.

Well it's a real shame, because the pre-amp sounded great for an inbuilt one, the feature-set looked great, and was perfect for my needs. There's obviously something that may be a bit out on the motor, which may not be an issue for all of them, but the inconsistencies were a worry. They would surely be something that could be resolved by the company fairly easily.

Saying a company is in it for the cash is a bit silly, all companies are generally in it for the cash. They are supposed to make money. ;)
LonePhantom

Australia

Postby Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2017 04:17

LonePhantom wrote:
Saying a company is in it for the cash is a bit silly, all companies are generally in it for the cash. They are supposed to make money. ;)

Yes, a company has to make a profit to stay in business.
But it seems that these "new" outfits care more about jumping on the bandwagon of "trendy products" more than spending time in the research and development and quality control department.
Churning out fast and cheap with glitzy advertising is the modern day law, instead of earning a solid reputation that lasts for decades.
Shame, real shame.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 15 Nov 2017 04:23

There was another thread regarding the Marley player a few weeks back or so in this very sub-forum, which people reported motor problems with being too slow or too fast. I thought it'd be a good entry-level player, but I ultimately decided not to due to the aforementioned issues.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby tckmet » 15 Nov 2017 05:20

Agree with spinner cold corporate greed capitalizing on peoples innocence and inexperience.
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby LonePhantom » 15 Nov 2017 05:41

It's a shame with this turntable, because some of their other products are pretty nice. I've got a set of ear phones, and for the money they sound brilliant. Not overly bassy like so many out there, great audio definition, and they do a reasonable job of blocking outside noise too. Their speakers don't sound too bad, and the look of their gear, as well as the recycled material thing is great too.
LonePhantom

Australia

Postby Spinner45 » 15 Nov 2017 07:34

LonePhantom wrote:It's a shame with this turntable, because some of their other products are pretty nice. I've got a set of ear phones, and for the money they sound brilliant. Not overly bassy like so many out there, great audio definition, and they do a reasonable job of blocking outside noise too. Their speakers don't sound too bad, and the look of their gear, as well as the recycled material thing is great too.

Indeed, it's "the look" that is designed to draw customers.
Superficiality rules, and is brainwashed into our brains from birth.
It's what people do not see "below the surface" that causes problems later on.

Pretty front panels.
Snazzy lighting.
That "heavy" feel, implying "quality".

I opened up a "classic" snazzy looking radio once that someone gave me as a gift.
Inside, fastened by a metal bracket, was a brick of cement, with no purpose other than giving the case "weight" and making it "feel" like a quality product.
In actuality, it was a cheap chinese transistor radio chassis - worthless junk.
Spinner45

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms