Show us your listening area!

snap, crackle and pop
reynolds617
United States of America

Re: Show us your listening area!

Post by reynolds617 » 04 Feb 2019 22:45

Thanks, Jim! I’d say by six years old, you should be in the clear as long as you explain that daddy’s stereo is a “look don’t touch situation”. My kids were 8 and 10 when I bought mine last year and they treat it with reverence. They’ve even learned how to change/flip a record!

My worry is always when their friends come over. Last week one of them tried to puncture the cone on one of my speakers. Fortunately we were hanging out in the room with his parents and we were able to stop him in time. Literally just tried to poke a plastic sword through the cone “just because”. Oy.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 05 Feb 2019 16:59

Yeah, losing a cone would be tragic (Thiel CS 2.2s) because I don't know if I'd even be able to find one.

Of course that could be spun to "must replace speakers", if we look at the bright side.

You bring up a good point with the friends- I think, even at (nearly) four he could be kept in check (and I'd leave the CD duplicator out of the system) to respect it. He's been enjoying the blues stuff (Jimmie Vaughn etc.) I've been playing on Pandora in our morning ride to school or Nana's house.

The table will be on top, as it was in the earlier picture. I'd have the shown system less the "gray box with all those irresistible knobs" on the lower shelf. Then my only worry would be turning the Counterpoints on/off repeatedly...

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 05 Feb 2019 17:37

Yeah, friends are the danger. My 9 year old requests Bill Evans. My 11 year old is probably going to gravitate towards The Cure. Make of that what you will. ;)

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 05 Feb 2019 21:17

Perhaps some Brad Mehldau would appease them both?

ElacTT

Post by ElacTT » 06 Feb 2019 00:06

Jim Leach wrote:
05 Feb 2019 16:59
Yeah, losing a cone would be tragic (Thiel CS 2.2s) because I don't know if I'd even be able to find one.

Of course that could be spun to "must replace speakers", if we look at the bright side.

You bring up a good point with the friends- I think, even at (nearly) four he could be kept in check (and I'd leave the CD duplicator out of the system) to respect it. He's been enjoying the blues stuff (Jimmie Vaughn etc.) I've been playing on Pandora in our morning ride to school or Nana's house.

The table will be on top, as it was in the earlier picture. I'd have the shown system less the "gray box with all those irresistible knobs" on the lower shelf. Then my only worry would be turning the Counterpoints on/off repeatedly...
If you're not aware, ex Thiel employee has open shop for Thiel repairs. https://www.coherentsourceservice.com

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Feb 2019 17:20

Jim Leach wrote:

Hey Jim...It looks like it might be time for an intervention...Maybe this would satisfy his musical urges...I got this one for my young niece...

You said he'll be four soon...If that one is a little advanced, might I recommend this one? :-k

Maybe you could find a cheap MP3 player and load it up with his favorite tracks or stuff he gravitates to, for now, so he can get his "musical fix"...Keep in mind that when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my dad gave me this, plucked from the neighbor's garbage, along with a box of 45 rpm records...

I had more fun with that gift than anything else I ever got as a kid! I played those old 45's over and over...Thing is, it led to me discovering records and great sound later...But, I still have the GE and most of the 45's...Something to think about, in any case! :D

Plus, if he can take care of something like that. maybe Dad will gift him with something better when he's older, so he'll have his OWN "system" and not have to touch Daddy's to enjoy his music! :wink:

Joolzeegee

Post by Joolzeegee » 11 Feb 2019 09:30

Hi again - so here is the latest version! Gone DIY tube :) Assembled/designed/customised in Blue Mountains NSW by Stephen from tubesoundaudio. Includes:
Bayira 8200 SX - 6L6GC
Bayira 8500 (Pre-Amp)
TSA Wollemi 8" full range Audio Nirvana driver with AlNiCo magnet. Plus-
Technics 1200 mk2 turntable
Also have the CD player (Teac) down bottom and connect to a phone for streaming. Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_20190211_190434.jpg
(126.75 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
IMG_20190211_190501.jpg
(128.57 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
IMG_20190211_191423.jpg
(67.23 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

Serafim
Brazil

Post by Serafim » 11 Feb 2019 13:15

Hi,

My listening area;
Attachments
IMG_6073.JPG
(304.05 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 11 Feb 2019 16:20

Serafim: we can't see what speakers you are using.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 11 Feb 2019 18:14

hobie1dog wrote:
11 Feb 2019 16:20
Serafim: we can't see what speakers you are using.
TSA Wollemi 8" full range Audio Nirvana driver with AlNiCo magnet.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 11 Feb 2019 20:12

vinyl master wrote:
06 Feb 2019 17:20
Jim Leach wrote:

Hey Jim...It looks like it might be time for an intervention...Maybe this would satisfy his musical urges...I got this one for my young niece...

You said he'll be four soon...If that one is a little advanced, might I recommend this one? :-k

Maybe you could find a cheap MP3 player and load it up with his favorite tracks or stuff he gravitates to, for now, so he can get his "musical fix"...Keep in mind that when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my dad gave me this, plucked from the neighbor's garbage, along with a box of 45 rpm records...

I had more fun with that gift than anything else I ever got as a kid! I played those old 45's over and over...Thing is, it led to me discovering records and great sound later...But, I still have the GE and most of the 45's...Something to think about, in any case! :D

Plus, if he can take care of something like that. maybe Dad will gift him with something better when he's older, so he'll have his OWN "system" and not have to touch Daddy's to enjoy his music! :wink:
Very cool. He actually has a CD “boom box” he got for Christmas. Being a cheap thing, the controls are not positive enough and he needs to grow into it.

I plan to give him copies of CDs he likes and if he ruins them, no big deal.

But, he was having a blast the other morning before school jammin’ To some African music on his player while he danced and rang a small bell he has! I made a video but I’m only sharing with family.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Feb 2019 20:53

Sounds like he's having fun, Jim...My niece likes to dance, too, and it's actually helped her, since she has joined a dance class and does gymnastics in her spare time when not in school...In any case, another thought is...yes, I know...gift him one of those suitcase Crosleys you see everywhere for cheap...But...and a big BUT here...only let him play some beat-up 45's on it...No rare vinyl! Remember, the purpose is to test him to see if he has the responsibility and maturity to handle such a gift...And he might be young yet for this, so it may be more of something to plan for in the future...I FULLY realize that the Crosleys are NOT well-loved on this forum (and if anyone knows me at all, I'm NOT a fan)...But, we must do our part to keep from filling up our landfills and if he likes to beat on things and throw them around and tear them up, there are MUCH worse things he could demolish! :lol: There are old BSR's out there that might be slightly better, if you're on a budget...You don't have to spend a lot for these things...Thrift store records can be had for 25 to 50 cents, at least in my case...A good introduction to vinyl could be just what he needs (at least it was for me!) and the thing is...You can take him to all those record shops with you and have some dad-son time together...Now, I also understand about the CD's...I bought two of these for my niece and nephew, as well, last year...

https://www.amazon.com/auna-Portable-Bl ... B074DW91QB

What I liked were the lights, the good reviews, the ability to sync up tunes with their tablets or mom's phone, etc. She got the pink and he got a black one, and they love 'em! Like I've said before, you've got to start them off young!

Once they can handle things like that and can appreciate good music, then it's up to us to share with them good-SOUNDING music, so they can HEAR the difference! :wink:

Of course, number one is to keep it all in fun!! =D> If it's not fun, then what good is it??? :?

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 11 Feb 2019 23:51

Well, he does like beating non and/or throwing things... takes after his Dad (the drummer) sovtheres slready a vintage Yamaha kit waiting for him. Three if you count my two.

And his grandpa is a guitar player, piano in our house and theirs. Plenty of opportunities for him and we all encourage it!

goldorak
Canada

Post by goldorak » 14 Feb 2019 04:50

I am lucky to have a dedicated listening room.
Attachments
18038.jpg
(250.17 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
23194.jpg
(222.7 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 14 Feb 2019 05:34

Love that stone looking wall. I wish I could have that but we are renting our condo.:(