Tech says tonearm on SL-1700 sits too flat to platter?

snap, crackle and pop
hekkubus

Tech says tonearm on SL-1700 sits too flat to platter?

Post by hekkubus » 12 Jul 2018 18:38

Hello, all! I sent off my newly acquired SL-1700 for service and to check for a hum along with my VM740ML cart. Got an email today saying “that cartridge is not really good for that turntable. It sits too flat to the platter. Even with very little pressure, it is too close.” Does this make sense to anyone? I’m not understanding why the cart wouldn’t be good for the turntable? I am pretty sure the tonearm on the unit is adjustable, so could that Help?

Sterling1
United States of America

Re: Tech says tonearm on SL-1700 sits too flat to platter?

Post by Sterling1 » 12 Jul 2018 21:40

The tech may be referring to when the tracking force, even if relatively light, is moving the stylus cantilever up into the body of the cartridge. Thus, if you play a warped record the cartridge body will occasionally bottom out on the record; and, perhaps, the stylus may loose contact with the groove. I think the tech wants to sell you a cartridge, since it would take about 5 grams of force for you to have a problem with your particular cart, unless it is already damaged.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 12 Jul 2018 22:06

The VM740ML is designed to track at 2 grams.
If it can't, then the stylus is crapping out and needs to be replaced.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 12 Jul 2018 23:47

If I recall correctly, you initially sent him the tt without a cartridge, and then he requested that you send a cartridge for setup. It makes me wonder if he re-balanced the tonearm and properly calibrated VTF after installing the cartridge. If you had the tt set up for your AT120E before sending, and then he installed the VM740ML, that cartridge is almost 2g heavier. If he didn't reset everything, that could be the problem. He might have assumed the weight of the cartridges were the same, and no re-calibration was necessary.

Did the VM740ML ride low for you at home?

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Jul 2018 01:14

jdjohn wrote:If I recall correctly, you initially sent him the tt without a cartridge, and then he requested that you send a cartridge for setup. It makes me wonder if he re-balanced the tonearm and properly calibrated VTF after installing the cartridge. If you had the tt set up for your AT120E before sending, and then he installed the VM740ML, that cartridge is almost 2g heavier. If he didn't reset everything, that could be the problem. He might have assumed the weight of the cartridges were the same, and no re-calibration was necessary.
If all that is the case, I'd question the competence of the tech in question.
Knowing such fundamental things as setting up cartridges is part of the job.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 13 Jul 2018 01:35

I vote to take your turntable back from that tech IMMEDIATELY.
If he had any knowledge, or was honest, he would say to replace the stylus, not the whole cart.
I think he wants the cart for himself, and wants to sell you a cart, then take your cart and sell it to someone else and double the profit.
Tell him to leave it as is, pick up the turntable and then replace the stylus yourself - IF it doesnt look right to you. Audio Technicas always work with Technics turntables.

I would have an Audio Technics VM760SLC if I didnt buy the Ortofon.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 01:51

jdjohn wrote:If I recall correctly, you initially sent him the tt without a cartridge, and then he requested that you send a cartridge for setup. It makes me wonder if he re-balanced the tonearm and properly calibrated VTF after installing the cartridge. If you had the tt set up for your AT120E before sending, and then he installed the VM740ML, that cartridge is almost 2g heavier. If he didn't reset everything, that could be the problem. He might have assumed the weight of the cartridges were the same, and no re-calibration was necessary.

I only sent him the 740. Initially, I didn’t send him one at all. The cartridge on my SL-Q2 seems to ride fine. It wouldn’t even get to the first song’s Groove on the SL-1700 and then every song at the same point. Am I wrong to assume that his statement doesn’t make sense? I may be wrong, but I can’t see the vm740ml being “wrong” for that TT as he is claiming. The arm height can even be adjusted to fix any issues with “too flat” or too high, right?

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 01:53

Sterling1 wrote:The tech may be referring to when the tracking force, even if relatively light, is moving the stylus cantilever up into the body of the cartridge. Thus, if you play a warped record the cartridge body will occasionally bottom out on the record; and, perhaps, the stylus may loose contact with the groove. I think the tech wants to sell you a cartridge, since it would take about 5 grams of force for you to have a problem with your particular cart, unless it is already damaged.
The cartridge was fine when I boxed it up to send it off. I put it in the same foam case that I received my AT120E replacement stylus, so it should have shipped fine, as well.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 01:58

eddie edirol wrote:I vote to take your turntable back from that tech IMMEDIATELY.
If he had any knowledge, or was honest, he would say to replace the stylus, not the whole cart.
I think he wants the cart for himself, and wants to sell you a cart, then take your cart and sell it to someone else and double the profit.
Tell him to leave it as is, pick up the turntable and then replace the stylus yourself - IF it doesnt look right to you. Audio Technicas always work with Technics turntables.

I would have an Audio Technics VM760SLC if I didnt buy the Ortofon.
Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense at all. If it didn’t have an awful hum, which he’s saying he can’t duplicate with his equipment, I’d get it right back. Right now, I’ve instructed him to do a cleaning as he claims that old grease is causing the tonearm to drag, and I guess I’ll worry about troubleshooting the hum and stylus. Ultimately, this “upgrade” from the SL-Q2 to the SL-1700 hasn’t been worth the $160 I paid for it on eBay.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 13 Jul 2018 02:28

hekkubus wrote:
Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense at all. If it didn’t have an awful hum, which he’s saying he can’t duplicate with his equipment, I’d get it right back. Right now, I’ve instructed him to do a cleaning as he claims that old grease is causing the tonearm to drag, and I guess I’ll worry about troubleshooting the hum and stylus. Ultimately, this “upgrade” from the SL-Q2 to the SL-1700 hasn’t been worth the $160 I paid for it on eBay.

I think the hum can be troubleshot if he was truthful about not getting the hum with that cart, the 1700 is definitely worth the upgrade. Have you dont any threads about eliminating the hum?

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 02:53

I agree, the so-called turntable tech is either lying to you and wants to sell you a new cartridge to replace a perfectly good, relatively high end cartridge, or he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Either way, cut your losses and get your gear back without them doing anything. You can do your own setup without much trouble.
Last edited by Sleepwalker65 on 13 Jul 2018 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 02:59

Please do this community a favour and name this so-called turntable technician, so nobody else gets burned by him. By the way, which model of SL-1700 do you have - the mk1 or mk2? The SL-Q2 is nearly the turntable that the SL-1700mk2 is, except for the adjustable tonearm height. I’d say the SL-Q2 is a better model than the SL-1700mk1 though.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 13 Jul 2018 04:27

Spinner45 wrote:
If all that is the case, I'd question the competence of the tech in question.
Knowing such fundamental things as setting up cartridges is part of the job.
Indeed. We used to have a forum member here that insisted upon a 'qualified, professional, trained technician' do the work...as if us DIY 'putzers' were totally ignorant. Not all 'techs' are good.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 05:25

Sleepwalker65 wrote:I agree, the so-called turntable tech is either lying to you and wants to sell you a new cartridge to replace a perfectly good, relatively high end cartridge, or he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Either way, cut your losses and get your gear back without them doing anything. You can do your own setup without much trouble.
Oh yeah, I’ve always done my own alignment and cart set up. I just didn’t know how to fix the hum after a friend and I had to replace the cables. I also could tell their were some issues with the tonearm and thought I’d let someone else take a look at it. I live in Alabama, US, so if anyone has a reputable dealer to recommend, I’d take it.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 05:32

eddie edirol wrote:
hekkubus wrote:

I think the hum can be troubleshot if he was truthful about not getting the hum with that cart, the 1700 is definitely worth the upgrade. Have you dont any threads about eliminating the hum?
The reason no posts about the hum is because I did a search of the forum and read up as much as I could on it, but I didn’t read anything that seems to explain it. A friend and I replaced the rca cables, and I figured I’d messed up somehow after taking it apart, cleaning it, having to tighten the tonearm screw on top after the cleaning (it was loose, and the tonearm wasn’t in the top securely, so it wouldn’t fully return to the tonearm rest), and replacing the cables. When I finally hooked it up and found the hum, I thought it was time to let a service center look at it.

The hum is worse when the headshell is removed. The ground wire being attached seems to have little to no effect on the hum, and the hum doesn’t occur with my SL-Q2. I threw my hands up after going through the forum and doing my own troubleshooting.