Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

snap, crackle and pop
Post Reply
Bbobisme51
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Oct 2017 18:49

Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Bbobisme51 » 20 May 2018 17:07

I have a zero 100c with no light for the speed indicator and the part is not available. I found a way to replace the lamp inside the housing that is not difficult and the replacement lamp is under $1. Is anyone interested in the procedure? I will be happy to add to this posting the directions.
Robert

nat
long player
long player
Posts: 3675
Joined: 07 Nov 2002 20:05

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by nat » 21 May 2018 01:56

I assume it's a standard neon bulb, but posting would probably be helpful to many people doing a first restoration.

akimmet
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 32
Joined: 01 Apr 2015 18:00

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by akimmet » 21 May 2018 02:51

Why keep secrets, go ahead an post you fix. It could be useful to others with this or similar turntables.
Is your fix a LED replacement using a drop resistor and a protection diode?

Bbobisme51
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Oct 2017 18:49

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Bbobisme51 » 21 May 2018 14:47

To get to the assembly the platter is removed. There are two screws at the front that are removed. It is easier to get to if you remove the base, but you can get it out either way. From underneath remove the 2 connectors and remove the whole unit. Remove the retainer by removing the screw holding it. You now have the lamp free. With the connectors up carefully pry open the metal ring on the short end until you can remove it. The lens will fall out. Inside is a neon tube and dropping resistor. Cut the lamp leads at the glass tube. I used a ne-2h as a replacement. I soldered the leads together with some heatshrink. Carefully fold the wire back into the housing. Put the lens on and re-attach the metal ring, bending the tabs back into place. Reassembly is the reverse. I found that the light output of the ne-2h is more than the original and looks great

akimmet
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 32
Joined: 01 Apr 2015 18:00

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by akimmet » 21 May 2018 16:16

It is good to hear a ne2h works for your turntable, some people have said they aren’t bright enough to be useful in turntables.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5259
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 May 2018 18:06

Hi Akimmet,

While the NE2H is brighter than a regular NE2, I'm guessing that the Zero 100 is pretty efficient in it's use of the light from the strobe. I don't think it would be satisfactory for a machine with a strobe which illuminates strobe marking on the edge of the platter such as my KD 500.

My espresso machine (Quickmill Anita) had little "neon" indicator lights. The red one for indicating the boiler heat is on is acceptable however the green lamps for power on and boiler ready were very marginal. I left the red real neon but gutted the green lamp assemblies and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. After building the board to ballast the LEDs, I figured it would be useful to check on how useful this electrical configuration would be as a turntable strobe. I held the LED next to the OEM neon for comparison:

[img]40775[/img]

This is the schematic:

[img]40778[/img]

I screwed up and did not put the units for the brightness. It is 15000 MCD @ 10 ma.

Here is the ballast board:

[img]40776[/img]

There is circuitry for two LEDs. It slips over the housing for the brain of the espresso machine.

Phil
akimmet wrote:It is good to hear a ne2h works for your turntable, some people have said they aren’t bright enough to be useful in turntables.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5259
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 May 2018 23:43

OK, more clarification (or confusion) on the LED. I bought them surplus. The bag says
15000 MCD. The bag also specs 3.1 V @ 10 ma, 3.3 V @ 20 ma, and 3.6 V @ 50 ma. It did not say which current gives the 15000 MC.

I called Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara CA where I bought the LEDs and the lady could only tell me what I could read on the bag. She did not know the brand or part number, so they are mystery LEDs. They are clearly modern high brightness type. Don't even bother with old LEDs. I biased these at ~ 10 ma average and they are almost painful to look at directly.

Phil

Bbobisme51
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Oct 2017 18:49

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Bbobisme51 » 22 May 2018 14:26

I found the ne-2h to be bright enough considering that the strobe ring is under the platter and light from the neon tube is reflected up to the display. There is room inside the housing for 2 ne-2h if you need more light. I think it would be difficult to position the led, driver had wiring inside the small lamp housing. I do agree that if you have room led is superior for light output and life.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5259
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Coffee Phil » 22 May 2018 17:37

Hi Bbobisme51,

The NE2H is a good solution to your strobe problem. Since your machine is efficient in the use of the light from the strobe bulb, the NE2H may be what Garrard used. It uses 2 ma as opposed to 0.5 ma of a regular NE2. If Garrard ballasted it at 2 ma your NE2H should last as long as the OEM part. If Garrard used a higher powered bulb it still could be a decent solution. It just will have a shorter life and will have to be considered consumable. They are not very expensive so that could be acceptable.

If you were to use an LED, you would just mount the diode in place of the old neon tube and find a place for the ballast circuit. That is what I did in my espresso machine. The LEDs are in the lamp assemblies which formerly had the "neon" bulbs and the ballast is mounted on the housing of the machine's controller.

Phil
Bbobisme51 wrote:I found the ne-2h to be bright enough considering that the strobe ring is under the platter and light from the neon tube is reflected up to the display. There is room inside the housing for 2 ne-2h if you need more light. I think it would be difficult to position the led, driver had wiring inside the small lamp housing. I do agree that if you have room led is superior for light output and life.

akimmet
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 32
Joined: 01 Apr 2015 18:00

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by akimmet » 23 May 2018 16:36

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Akimmet,

While the NE2H is brighter than a regular NE2, I'm guessing that the Zero 100 is pretty efficient in it's use of the light from the strobe. I don't think it would be satisfactory for a machine with a strobe which illuminates strobe marking on the edge of the platter such as my KD 500.

My espresso machine (Quickmill Anita) had little "neon" indicator lights. The red one for indicating the boiler heat is on is acceptable however the green lamps for power on and boiler ready were very marginal. I left the red real neon but gutted the green lamp assemblies and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. After building the board to ballast the LEDs, I figured it would be useful to check on how useful this electrical configuration would be as a turntable strobe. I held the LED next to the OEM neon for comparison:

[img]40775[/img]

This is the schematic:

[img]40778[/img]

I screwed up and did not put the units for the brightness. It is 15000 MCD @ 10 ma.

Here is the ballast board:

[img]40776[/img]

There is circuitry for two LEDs. It slips over the housing for the brain of the espresso machine.

Phil
akimmet wrote:It is good to hear a ne2h works for your turntable, some people have said they aren’t bright enough to be useful in turntables.
Interesting use of a capacitor dropper instead of a resistor.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5259
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 May 2018 19:00

Hi Akimmet,

The cap is reactance as opposed to resistance so there is no dissipation. I did include a bit of resistance to limit current in the even of huge dv/dt from a GFIC tripping. The need for this became clear when the GFIC tripped when I was using my coffee roasting variable transformer in which I used a similar cap ballasted LED indicator.

Phil

Interesting use of a capacitor dropper instead of a resistor.[/quote]

Bbobisme51
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Oct 2017 18:49

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Bbobisme51 » 23 May 2018 20:01

I understand that using leds for a light source has its advantages, but I don't understand the use of full wave bridge rectifier. The neon tube flashes at 60 Hz and that flash is what makes the bars stand still on the display. If full wave rectification is used there will be no strobe effect from the led, I think. I have seen leds set up for speed displays but the driver is half wave.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5259
Joined: 20 Sep 2008 08:22
Location: California

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Coffee Phil » 23 May 2018 20:32

Hi Bbobisme51,

Your neon bulb lights on either polarity of the AC voltage hence it flashes twice each cycle or 120 flashes/second on 60 Hz. LEDs on the other hand require the anode of the diode to be positive with respect to the cathode. You can use a half-wave rectifier and they will flash 60 times/second on 60 Hz. That will work. To more closely emulate what your neon bulb does the full wave rectifier is closer as the LED will light on each half of the AC cycle.

With full wave rectification the LEDs will indeed strobe. Go back and look at the pictures which I posted with schematic, photos of the "ballast board", and the strobe markings of my KD 500 lit with the LED strobe next to the OEM neon strobe for comparison.

Phil
Bbobisme51 wrote:I understand that using leds for a light source has its advantages, but I don't understand the use of full wave bridge rectifier. The neon tube flashes at 60 Hz and that flash is what makes the bars stand still on the display. If full wave rectification is used there will be no strobe effect from the led, I think. I have seen leds set up for speed displays but the driver is half wave.

Bbobisme51
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Oct 2017 18:49

Re: Garrard zero 100 lamp replacement

Post by Bbobisme51 » 29 May 2018 00:33

Just a quick note. I have on lamp assembly for Garrard zero 100 that has been re-lamped. If someone is in need, contact me here. May the vintage live on
Bob

Post Reply