Defiant record player questions

snap, crackle and pop
v_alex
England

Defiant record player questions

Post by v_alex » 24 Jan 2020 08:36

Hello!

I am new to record player maintenance and would like some advice.

I recently bought a Defiant record player and it is in need of a new needle, however I am unsure what type.
There seems to be very little information about this type online, what I've found is that it was a budget brand created by Co-op as a more affordable alternative to the Dansette. I haven't been able to find any manuals online either.

I'm unsure of the exact model as it doesn't seem to say anywhere on it, even when I took it apart to get to the turntable mechanism.

I've attached some photos :)

Thanks in Advance! :D
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
(53.81 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
s-l500-2.jpg
(64.78 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
s-l64.jpg
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Defiant record player questions

Post by circularvibes » 24 Jan 2020 11:44

You have a BSR Monarch changer with a BSR FulFi cartridge. You need a bog standard set of needles. In North America I'd buy Astatic N8-1 for LP and N8-3 for 78s. Try looking at thevoiceofmusic.com for pictures.

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 24 Jan 2020 13:51

1st question, does it work? the cartridge is a turnover type so there will be a stylus on the other side for 78's most likely, but it will give you an idea that the cartridge is still working. These cartridges TC8 are crystal types and now 50/60 years old, not many will still be serviceable.

Have a look on the cartridge body for a model no, TC8 H or M.

Co op certainly, would not expect any manuals but circuit will be similar to Dansette of that time. Be careful, as it would have been a budjet model the amplifier could have a live chassis.

Good luck

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 24 Jan 2020 22:42

I second the warning about being careful. I found a similar player, though mine was stereo, and as far as I could tell from the schematic, it was a live chassis model. In normal use, no problem, but don't touch the metal work of the amp.

v_alex
England

Post by v_alex » 26 Jan 2020 22:28

Thank you, really appreciate the advice :-)