Digital audio freak suddenly owns Garrard 301 ...

snap, crackle and pop
josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Digital audio freak suddenly owns Garrard 301 ...

Post by josephazannieri » 03 Dec 2019 15:22

Yo teddytejero:

The 301 is like a Volkswagen Beetle that has had a Rolls Royce Merlin engine transplanted into it. Since it was designed for broadcast use at BBC, it has a really big, really powerful 4-pole motor, which will bring the turntable to speed in about a third of a turn. When in operation, it has some vibration that gets transmitted to the plinth. For a long time, I had my 301 in an original Garrard plinth that was mounted on the standard Garrard springs. When mounted that way, there was enough vibration transmitted to the sprung mounting plate so that there was a noticeable rumble heard through the speakers. When I reversed the springs and used them to hold the mounting plate in contact with the base, the rumble was reduced significantly, due to the reduction in vibration transmitted to the mounting board. I would therefore not recommend mounting your turntable on springs, based on my experience with my original Garrard sprung plinth.

The recommended setup is usually a massive plinth made of seven layers of 3/4 inch (19mm) birch plywood. This acts as a mass vibration absorber and reduces the apparent rumble that you will hear. There are some other designs such as the Imbabi plinth which supports the turntable on squash balls, which also tends to absorb vibrations. Of course my opinions and 94 cents will get you a cup of senior coffee at McDonalds. But this is my experience, for what it's worth. I am against the idea of putting the motor base on springs.

In addition. you will need to tie the arm ground and the turntable ground together and attach them to the chassis of your amplifier.

And good luck from that massive, yet unsprung old guy,

Joe Z.

GuidoK

Post by GuidoK » 03 Dec 2019 18:46

Garrard 301....thats quite a nice gift. :D

....still waiting for someone to give me a Garrard 301 or 401 :mrgreen:

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 03 Dec 2019 19:11

GuidoK wrote:
03 Dec 2019 18:46

I wanted a 301 for quite a few years, but I couldn't afford to pay the going price for the professionally restored/rebuilt versions that I saw for sale in the B&M stores or on the 'net so I decided that, in this case at least, patience was going to be my friend.

After about three years of searching my patience was rewarded. I found a really nice cream chassis grease bearing 301 motor unit that someone had started the restoration process on but for one reason or another stopped in mid-stream. After about another two years, plenty of research, and lots of shopping I wound up with exactly what I desired. Added a 12" Ortofon 'arm and a heavy built-up multi-ply plinth from Accustand and I think I'm done with the turntable bandwagon. This is all the 'table that I can envision for the future. And while it was a relatively expensive undertaking it was nowhere as expensive as many of its competitors.

Heavy idler drives kick butt. Most listeners don't have a clue if they haven't listened to a properly outfitted example.

Cheers,
Al

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 04 Dec 2019 01:27

abs1 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 19:11
GuidoK wrote:
03 Dec 2019 18:46

I wanted a 301 for quite a few years, but I couldn't afford to pay the going price for the professionally restored/rebuilt versions that I saw for sale in the B&M stores or on the 'net so I decided that, in this case at least, patience was going to be my friend.

After about three years of searching my patience was rewarded. I found a really nice cream chassis grease bearing 301 motor unit that someone had started the restoration process on but for one reason or another stopped in mid-stream. After about another two years, plenty of research, and lots of shopping I wound up with exactly what I desired. Added a 12" Ortofon 'arm and a heavy built-up multi-ply plinth from Accustand and I think I'm done with the turntable bandwagon. This is all the 'table that I can envision for the future. And while it was a relatively expensive undertaking it was nowhere as expensive as many of its competitors.

Heavy idler drives kick butt. Most listeners don't have a clue if they haven't listened to a properly outfitted example.

Cheers,
Al
After restoring a TD160 I had the bug to try something else. My short list included both the 301 and 401. I found a TD125 which was also on my list, but it sat for quite some time and before I got to it I found another on my short list, an Empire208. When I went to check out the Empire the seller also had a TD124, and 301, and a 401. I couldn't talk him out of any of the other tables and came home with only the Empire. A year or so later I found a TD124 just a few blocks from where I picked up the Empire. I kept an eye on Craigslist in case the guy with the two Garrards put one up but it never happened that I noticed.

I don't have the bug so much anymore and I have 4 nice tables, but if I stumbled across a 301 or 401 at the right price I'd have to give it a go.

teddytejero
Belgium

Post by teddytejero » 04 Dec 2019 12:41

There we go ... ordered parts from Cardas to connect the 5 pin din AT cable.
The plinth is about 8 kg ... looks genuine. Since adviced against the spring supported top. Thinking of using elastomere (like in a racing bike). Extra sound Isolation and a slab of granite will be added as a base for the tonearm. Maybe also for the bottom plate (leftovers from my Kitchen floor :-) Jasberg calibrated !

The replica tonearm arrived from Latvia. Very solid but no connectors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hand-Bui ... SwihxdUGht
Attachments
78615094_2595560740498473_2005446184713322496_o.jpg
(117.53 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 04 Dec 2019 16:09

teddytejero wrote:
04 Dec 2019 12:41
The plinth is about 8 kg ... looks genuine. Since adviced against the spring supported top. Thinking of using elastomere (like in a racing bike). Extra sound Isolation and a slab of granite will be added as a base for the tonearm. Maybe also for the bottom plate (leftovers from my Kitchen floor :-) Jasberg calibrated !

Very interesting tonearm. What cartridge will you use?

Cheers,
Al

teddytejero
Belgium

Post by teddytejero » 05 Dec 2019 09:17

Al,

I have a Pickering XV15/400E
a SHURE M44-7
a REALISTIC R47XT

probably use the best sounding after aligning and adjusting (I have the datasheet / protractor for the EMT 997 as the seller states the design specs meet those of the EMT 997)

abs1 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 16:09
teddytejero wrote:
04 Dec 2019 12:41

Very interesting tonearm. What cartridge will you use?

Cheers,
Al