High end fully automatic

snap, crackle and pop
TexMadrone
United States of America

Re: High end fully automatic

Post by TexMadrone » 08 Nov 2019 23:37

denvertrakker wrote:
08 Nov 2019 23:22

As I tried to explain before, the current Dual brand has little in common with the original (Gebruder Steidinger). The current owner of the brand - Fehrenbacher - produces Dual and/or Thorens branded products, with designs dating back to mid-level Dual turntables of the '80s. To my knowledge, all are belt drive, and ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
My bad! I was referring to the older models though... not the new ones. I was 'looking at them online' ... on fleabay and such. I should have clarified that I was looking at used ones online. :D

Oh well, I am not in a huge hurry (yes I am... for no reason) so I will just continue reading and wait for the right deal to come along (I will impulse buy after a few beers... probably this weekend). Thanks for all the pointers from everyone!

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 09 Nov 2019 00:29

To familiarize yourself with "real" Dual products, I'd suggest you start here:

http://dual-reference.info/

I believe - but I'm not positive - that all of the DD models were in the 700 series. There may be others.

This might prove helpful:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dua ... ecks.shtml

chgc

Post by chgc » 09 Nov 2019 02:05

TexMadrone wrote:
08 Nov 2019 14:48
I am currently scouring fleabay and CL for a Technics DD quartz automatic.
Technics SL-10?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Nov 2019 08:46

denvertrakker wrote:
09 Nov 2019 00:29
To familiarize yourself with "real" Dual products, I'd suggest you start here:

http://dual-reference.info/

I believe - but I'm not positive - that all of the DD models were in the 700 series. There may be others.

This might prove helpful:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dua ... ecks.shtml
There were also some good direct drive models in the 600 series such as the 604 Semi Automatic and the 621 Fully Automatic. By Automatic it only refers to a single play function and not record changing. All are 33 and 45 RPM. If for some reason the auto start wasn't working they could still be used with manual start by moving the tonearm off its rest to the lead in groove.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 09 Nov 2019 11:52

denvertrakker wrote:
08 Nov 2019 23:22
Fehrenbacher - produces Dual and/or Thorens branded products, with designs dating back to mid-level Dual turntables of the '80s. To my knowledge, all are belt drive, and ridiculously overpriced for what they are.
Still better idea to pay more than 600 eur for a new model from 1980 catalogue, which will work for some decades, than pay just little less for a chinese thing with this and that flaws. And then at the end people are angry and fed up with vinyl.

TexMadrone
United States of America

Post by TexMadrone » 09 Nov 2019 23:31

chgc wrote:
09 Nov 2019 02:05

Technics SL-10?
Now that is cool. There is one for sale on fleabay for $300.

davejazzrecords
United States of America

Post by davejazzrecords » 10 Nov 2019 00:40

JVC ql-y55f or the 66f.

Amazing fully automatic players.

chgc

Post by chgc » 10 Nov 2019 15:31

The SL-10 isn’t my best turntable, but it’s the one I listen to most. It is very small and easy to use. It requires a t4p cartridge which severely limits new cartridge options, but quite a few used cartridges can be had for decent prices and there’s a pretty good selection of replacement styli available. The turntable itself is a tank, so it is somewhat less vulnerable to shipping damage if the shipper does a lousy packing job. There are a few mechanical issues that will probably need to be addressed unless one is buying a unit that has recently been serviced. Most of these fixes are fairly cheap and easy, but some repairs and finding original replacement parts can add significant expense.

I really like the SL-10, but it’s a bit of an odd bird, and definitely not everybody’s cup of tea.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 10 Nov 2019 16:26

Pioneer PL-518, if you can find one with the rubber feet still intact or replaced.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 11 Nov 2019 08:29

denvertrakker wrote:
07 Nov 2019 19:23
Thorens still make turntables and this one is automatic : https://www.thorens.com/en/thorens%C2%AE-td-148a-2.html
The original Thorens company no longer exists. The one you mentioned is assembled/built in Germany from Chinese parts, and the design dates back to some Dual TTs from the '80s. I believe the supplier is Fehrenbacher.

It's also silly expensive for what it is. If it were me, I'd be looking for a vintage full auto from names such as Denon, Technics, Kenwood, Sony or similar.
[/quote]

Some parts are made in China or Taiwan but others are made in Europe, and they are all assembled in the classic black-forest region in Germany. European labour cost more than Chinese. Now, the new high-end Thorens TD 148A has more european parts and an original Thorens tonearm made in Germany. It combines a high-end Thorens tonearm with the glass platter from the TD309 and the suspension and automatics design of the TD240, housed in an exclusive european made plinth.

TexMadrone
United States of America

Post by TexMadrone » 11 Nov 2019 18:04

raphaelmabo wrote:
11 Nov 2019 08:29

Some parts are made in China or Taiwan but others are made in Europe, and they are all assembled in the classic black-forest region in Germany. European labour cost more than Chinese. Now, the new high-end Thorens TD 148A has more european parts and an original Thorens tonearm made in Germany. It combines a high-end Thorens tonearm with the glass platter from the TD309 and the suspension and automatics design of the TD240, housed in an exclusive european made plinth.
Yeah, the 2k price point is going to put that one out of reach for me. I mean, I could do it, but my wife would end up with the records and speakers in the divorce... so that would defeat the purpose. #-o

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 11 Nov 2019 19:27

TexMadrone wrote:
11 Nov 2019 18:04
raphaelmabo wrote:
11 Nov 2019 08:29

Yeah, the 2k price point is going to put that one out of reach for me. I mean, I could do it, but my wife would end up with the records and speakers in the divorce... so that would defeat the purpose. #-o
If you are already thinking about the divorce, better to get rid of the wife first and then start assembling your stereo system.

In regard to an fully automatic. The 1019 is a daily driver for me, but few will go through the trouble of doing a good job restoring all of that mechanism. And not high end, although they sound and look really nice.

Many decks however are almost fully automatic, they will raise the tonearm at the end of the record, it just wont return to the rest position. First to come to thought are the 80s Denons, just cant remember which ones had that auto lift feature at the end of the record.