GE Trimline 600 Turntable Options

snap, crackle and pop
dog-dog-dog
United States of America

GE Trimline 600 Turntable Options

Post by dog-dog-dog » 12 Sep 2019 05:38

I recently purchased a GE Trimline 600 all-in-one console with a flipdown turntable. I really like the form factor, and ability to keep the turntable neatly stored away. However, the "Tonal 1" turnable leaves much be desired.

It would be nice to put something with a similar form factor, like a Dual 1015 into it. Has anyone ever done a swap like this?

Thanks!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: GE Trimline 600 Turntable Options

Post by vinyl master » 12 Sep 2019 07:42

I own a couple of those GE portables and it's really best, I think, to leave them as they are...They are fun for throwing on a stack of beat-up records on occasion (which I've done) and I have a sentimental spot for the Wildcat, as it was my first one, but well...The Dual is just in another league...I have several Duals, and I've always kept them with their original plinths...If you ever want to sell either, people want things to be as original as possible...Plus, from a build quality perspective, putting a nice turntable like a Dual into a cheap plastic case is a little like throwing your "pearls unto swine" IMO...But then again, what do I know??? 8-[

I say...Keep the GE as is as a fun, working retro-kitsch piece and go after that Dual (for the good records) if you really want one...And if you need help looking for one, I could probably make some local recommendations, if I knew whereabouts you lived generally...Keep in mind that this hobby DOESN'T have to be super-expensive, either...I've owned or bought 33 turntables (documenting many of them here on VE) and I've never paid more than $100 or so initially for each one, with most of my favorites being $50 or less! A little TLC, a few tools and a lot of patience goes a long way, too, but good sound IS possible, even on a budget! =D>

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 12 Sep 2019 08:14

If I remember right, isn't the Trimline 600 the wall mount audio system with AM/FM radio? I do not think a Dual would fit physically. The electronics would be for a ceramic cartridge which also limits how far you can go without also doing electrical upgrades too. The changer most certainly requires cleaning and regreasing after all these years to mechanically bring it back to spec as well as maybe a new idler. The cartridge and stylus may need replacement as well. What exactly do you find lacking in the turntable? It may be possible to fix what you don't find appealing. I wouldn't expect a lot as it was made for mainly background listening kinda like the radios you used to see in hotel rooms.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 12 Sep 2019 13:06

dog-dog-dog wrote:
12 Sep 2019 05:38
I recently purchased a GE Trimline 600 all-in-one console with a flipdown turntable. I really like the form factor, and ability to keep the turntable neatly stored away. However, the "Tonal 1" turnable leaves much be desired.

It would be nice to put something with a similar form factor, like a Dual 1015 into it. Has anyone ever done a swap like this?

Thanks!
Not possible without major hacking it up, and the Dual may be too big to fit it, the GE Trimlines are also getting collectable. Want a Dual, get separate components or one of the high end compacts which had one as factory fitted. The GE won't be audiophile or even better mid-fi, it is what it is. Acceptable background music at low volume.

dog-dog-dog
United States of America

Post by dog-dog-dog » 12 Sep 2019 21:33

I really would like to keep this specifically for stacking. If keeping the turntable is necessary, I'll probably have the Tonal 1 cartridge replaced with a custom headshell and a Micro-Acoustics 2002e. Or another of the awesome Micro-Acoustics line-up that's ceramic compatible.

The big deal for me is the fake-wood and overall form factor, which is exactly like appliances from my earliest years. It also sounds wonderful.

macshifi

Post by macshifi » 12 Sep 2019 22:47

I'm not sure about you being able to use a Micro Acoustics cartridge in this type of application, because the Micro Acoustics cartridges were originally meant for magnetic phono preamps when developed in the late 1970's.

Mark

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 12 Sep 2019 22:56

What we still do not know is what is wrong with the original cartridge. The Micro-Acoustics cartridge would be much too high compliance for the arm on the changer anyways, regardless of output. Basically I am saying is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it don't suit your needs, get something else and pass it on to someone who wiill appreciate it for what it is.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Sep 2019 02:08

I think CV is right on this one...I hate to be cliched about this (and the bearer of bad news), but sometimes, you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...It is what it is, end of story... 8-[

But, I guess we all have to learn sometime... #-o

I still say...If you want a Dual, go after a Dual...If you want an all-in-one, some of those Sony units with the Dual turntable built in would be nice, as would be this KLH combo unit I saw recently...

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 13 Sep 2019 02:27

vinyl master wrote:
13 Sep 2019 02:08
I think CV is right on this one...I hate to be cliched about this (and the bearer of bad news), but sometimes, you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...It is what it is, end of story... 8-[

But, I guess we all have to learn sometime... #-o

I still say...If you want a Dual, go after a Dual...If you want an all-in-one, some of those Sony units with the Dual turntable built in would be nice, as would be this KLH combo unit I saw recently...

And the Sony with a Dual sold quite well, and is not too hard to find. I'd get that and be done with it, and with the Sony speakers sounds way better than the GE will, keep the GE Trimline for fun (and get it some well worn records it won't hurt).