the home of the turntable

Suppression capacitor value for 16v Thorens switch/motor?

music box

Suppression capacitor value for 16v Thorens switch/motor?

Postby StephDale » 15 Oct 2017 15:09

Guys,

My late-model TD160 makes a loud popping noise through the speakers when I turn it off, and has no suppression capacitor on the switch. I imagine that fitting one would solve the issue quite nicely, but I can't find a service guide in the library for the 16v TD160.

Any ideas what the capacitor value should be suppression on this turntable?

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Re: Suppression capacitor value for 16v Thorens switch/motor

Postby tlscapital » 16 Oct 2017 14:13

A TD160 with a 16 volts wall wart PSU ? That is odd. Is it a TD160 tweaked or a TD147 in disguise ? Here are the schemes for the 16 volts motors. First with an external PSU speed box then without. Mind you that the scheme should be bigger if you have a TP16 tonearm with an auto-stop mechanism...

Capture d’écran 2016-12-17 à 14.52.40.jpg

Capture d’écran 2017-04-04 à 10.18.12.jpg
tweaked Thorens TD145+'Eagle & RoadRunner'
4 mats; LP vinyl topped with felt+cork+leather
SME 3009 'Imp' converted to heavy mass
Denon DL-102 in Ortofon bakelite SPU
Isem 'Modulis'+Etalon 'Exampli'
12" Leak 2 ways 'Sandwich' 15 OHMS
tlscapital

Belgium

Postby StephDale » 16 Oct 2017 17:21

Very many thanks - that's just what I need!

It's definitely a TD160 (S BC MkV). I've had a few of the MKIV and MkV TD160s across the bench over the years and these later models are not accurately covered by the people who 'know'. I recognise that the spec in the UK may be slightly different from other places, but the ones I've seen have all been 16v, 10mm bearing, alloy inner platter, no end of side shut-off and with internal damping.

The turntable that's 'popping' at the moment has recently been through a service; I removed the speed switch some years ago when using it with a Project Speedbox SE and have now replaced it, but either lost or threw out the suppression capacitor. I'll now get to replacing it...

Cheers,

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Postby tlscapital » 17 Oct 2017 15:33

Cheers Steph, well I'm only happy to be proven wrong while learning. Now thanks to you I am a little bit less stupid. :D

I bought mine as a Thorens TD160 'Super' as it said on the top plate. But with time, curiosity induced by the urge to convert my SME3009 'Improved' tonearm into heavy mass, I started to venture inside and tweak some my turntable and understood that it was a TD160 'Super' only on the outside and a TD146 on the inside.

Oh well, now I know. And it doesn't really matter since after all the conversions, improvements and upgrades I did on it I truly enjoy it's look and more importantly what it dishes out more than ever before. Tim
tweaked Thorens TD145+'Eagle & RoadRunner'
4 mats; LP vinyl topped with felt+cork+leather
SME 3009 'Imp' converted to heavy mass
Denon DL-102 in Ortofon bakelite SPU
Isem 'Modulis'+Etalon 'Exampli'
12" Leak 2 ways 'Sandwich' 15 OHMS
tlscapital

Belgium

Postby StephDale » 17 Oct 2017 21:45

Tim,

That's a shame if your Super wasn't what you thought. But I'm very pleased you've got it so you're enjoying it. I've got one tucked away and look after another one which is owned by a friend. They're very enjoyable to listen to and look after.

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Return to Thorens