music box
Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

TD 145 sub platter.

Post by Hugues TR4 » 17 Sep 2016 12:56

Hi All,

I am currently servicing a TD 145 for a friend of mine.
I just have a question: under the sub platter wheel, there is a round hollow white plastic, cup shaped part, glued on it. In order to remove the sub platter to re-oil the bearing, I had to remove a double metal hook which was blocking it.
Is this part very important or just a fool guard to stop ordinary user to reach the bearing pit?
Cannot find any info in the service manual.
Can this plastic cup be removed without any problem?
Thanks a lot for your usual good advices.

Cheers,

Hugh.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: TD 145 sub platter.

Post by markcass » 17 Sep 2016 19:11

Hi

My TD160 (mechanically the same as the TD145), has the same plastic device on the spindle. It is indeed designed to stop the sub-platter from accidentally falling out by catching on the hook. I found this a bit inconvenient, so dealt with it by simply removing the metal hook permanently. The screw attaching it also connected a ground lead to the sub-chassis, so I put that back.

I've never had any trouble from this mod, which I preferred to removing the plastic in case I damaged the spindle while doing that - it seemed to be a tight fit. I'm not sure whether the TD145 has the same grounding arrangement for the sub-chassis, but if it has, I suggest keeping the wire attached using the screw.

HTH

Mark

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 18 Sep 2016 21:29

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your quick reply.
In fact I'd also noticed the presence of this device on my old TD166 MkI, and I also took the metal hook off, just reestablishing the original ground wire in the same thread.
On the other hand, my late Dad's 146 doesn't have it at all...
Just wanted to make sure this thing wasn't needed for fine speed tuning, balance or other reason.
The 145's is broken, glued it back at its original position with cyanolite and it doesn't seem to interfere with the spinning.
Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,

Hugh.

foundattagsale

Post by foundattagsale » 25 Jan 2020 21:48

Thank you!! I was just looking to clean/lubricate the spindle and found the same locking hooks. I reinstalled mine when done - but upside down, below the deck. This allows me to easily retain or restore the original part if needed/desired by someone "more particular" than I may be.

(I know this is a zombie thread, but it was helpful!)

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 27 Jan 2020 23:40

It is not hard to take the plastic device off. As it's not needed for the TD145 to work. I feel it is just in the way and should be removed.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 07 Feb 2020 19:26

The retaining clip does serve a purpose. My 165 also has the retaining clip.

Thorens recommends that you lube the motor bushings after so many hours by wicking a drop or two of oil down each end of the motor shaft. I forget exactly after how may hours but these vintage Thorens are being used way beyond any imagined service life .

Anyway to lube the lower motor bearing you of course have to turn the TT upside down. You of course have to first secure the tone arm to its rest with a twist tie etc. Then carefully turn the TT upside down on its dust cover .
BTW, you want to have the motor running when you lube it so the oil gets where it supposed to.

Personally, I lube the motor bearings a bit more often than the spindle bearing as the motor bushings do seem somewhat susceptible to wear. So, the clip does serve this purpose.

BTW, I use the same oil for the motor that I use for the spindle.
Also, of course you can lube the top motor bearing any time. :)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 08 Feb 2020 21:07

If you disable the purpose of the clip, every time you turn the TT upside down to take the bottom off, for any reason, the inner platter will not stay in place. keep in mind the effect of gravity. on it. :)