Origine Live upgrade belt for Thorens

music box
ehtoo
long player
long player

Re: Origine Live upgrade belt for Thorens

Post by ehtoo » 26 Oct 2015 15:31

sec4aa wrote:Ethoo,
Your review is fine and very welcome...only the second independent review, excluding the ones from OL site. The Linn forum review was referring to someone with a belt with a "possible" defect. It would be perfect to have an alternative to the Thorens logo belts out there. As far as I know the new Thorens logo belts are not even like the real original Thorens belt made in the 70's.
Thanks. Maybe I came across wrong in my retort. I didn't take your comments as doubt over mine. Replacement belts have been a problem all vintage Thorens owners have faced since at least the mid 1980's when stocks of the NOS belts were depleted. I've found virtually all replacement belts far too short - a problem Mssr Joel has pointed out himself - causing excessive strain on the motor pully shaft. I had partly solved that problem by using a rubber renew (not the best thing believe or not) and gradually stretching the belt which in itself can be problematic. I've actually used a Joel belt for a while which have been good and functional.

I hadn't previously thought of an OL belt until the question was posted on this thread. It prompted a cursory look at the review in the Brit audio press. Price point marginally more expensive than a Thakker or Joel etc. so what the heck, why not. What I wasn't expecting was the change in sound - that's all I wanted to point out. I no longer consider it a straight replacement, rather an upgrade. (by the way, I do not hold any financial interest in the business or friendship with any of OL employees).

The Linn site was sceptical of an improved grip, questioned the pattern on the belt or mentioned cost plus etc. which were all superficial reasons for dismissing the product and found lacking IMHO as they did not indicate the OL belts were actually used prior to their criticisms. I really hate uninformed opinions on the web as you can see.

I don't know why the OL belt works. I have no content in my information bag. I can't verify that the "grip" is better etc. etc. It just works for my Thorens. I believe the HiFi World review used a Linn and reported excellent results. I don't know if the replacement belt will offer the same results for other TT's. It will be interesting to hear other members experiences for other TT's.

FYI. The added bonus is they state the belt can last 3-4 yrs depending on use. Most conventional belts are good for 1 1/2 to 2 years before slippage occurs.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 30 Oct 2015 00:44

I order a OL belt to use on my TD150 that has Linn 50Hz motor and Mose/Hercules psu.I'm using the thorens belt now it's 260mm or 520mm so I ordered the TD160 super OL belt that's 538mm.I hope it works.With the thorens belt the speed is right now and sounds very good it would be great if the OL belt could add to that.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 30 Oct 2015 01:54

rkay5 wrote:I order a OL belt to use on my TD150 that has Linn 50Hz motor and Mose/Hercules psu.I'm using the thorens belt now it's 260mm or 520mm so I ordered the TD160 super OL belt that's 538mm.I hope it works.With the thorens belt the speed is right now and sounds very good it would be great if the OL belt could add to that.
Great. Make sure you add your impressions after playing it in. They recommend at least an hour of run-in time before you play an LP. It will be nice to have other voices added to the reviews.

May I ask, why did you swap out the Thorens motor for a Linn? Right now, I'm using the Thorens motor with the Music Hall Speed Control 2 with good results. The performance improvement from OL belt has me thinking about purchasing their DC motor but, with the Canadian dollar getting thumped right now, 800 pound sterling will cost me $1,600. I considered swapping out the Thorens 40 yrs ago for the Linn but, never took the plunge. All I managed to do was replace the stock springs for the Linn with Linn bolts.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 05 Nov 2015 07:15

I got the OL belt for my set up it is just to long with it my TD150 runs way fast.The belt is to long.I will be sending it back

Obscurist

Post by Obscurist » 05 Nov 2015 08:00

rkay5 wrote:I got the OL belt for my set up it is just to long with it my TD150 runs way fast.The belt is to long.I will be sending it back
Too long would be a problem I guess, but how would that make your turntable run fast?

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 06 Nov 2015 06:19

The longer belt the turntable runs faster I don't know why this`so but it is.With OL belt using a Cardas test record 1000Hz sine wave it plays back at 1019Hz.With the ome thorens belt 260mm or 520mm long the sine wave plays at 1000Hz +/-0.1%.Both tests were with the motor at the some tilt.I have moved the motor tilt back with OL belt but it is just much to get close to the right speed.Photo of thorens belt set up

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 07 Nov 2015 03:08

rkay5 wrote:I got the OL belt for my set up it is just to long with it my TD150 runs way fast.The belt is to long.I will be sending it back
Have not had that problem with my TD160.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 09 Nov 2015 02:34

Does your TD160 run at right speed and I mean right speed not a little or slow

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 09 Nov 2015 03:34

I have asked a replacement belt from OL that 520mm.I feel that will in my set up.

tele88

Post by tele88 » 09 Nov 2015 12:53

Obscurist wrote:
Too long would be a problem I guess, but how would that make your turntable run fast?

Because the thickness is very important concerning speed !
The transmission from motorpulley to subplatter in combination with the belt thickness gives the right speed. The synchronous motor is always running on the same speed 375rpm .
Length from the belt and slip because off some stretching, belt thickness change, influence speed also .
Wonder if the better results from the OL belt have to with the speed because most of the replacement belts have not the right dimensions.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 10 Nov 2015 07:02

I'm using a Linn motor 24 pole it runs at 250rpm and get about perfect speed with a thorens belt 5200mm long but runs fast with the OL 538mm belt.I Did also try the OL belt on my TD160 Super that thorens 50Hz motor & 13mm pulley powered by a Mose/Hercules and it also run way fast.With thorens belt play is almost speed prefect +/- 0.1%

tele88

Post by tele88 » 10 Nov 2015 11:31

rkay5 wrote:I'm using a Linn motor 24 pole it runs at 250rpm and get about perfect speed with a thorens belt 5200mm long but runs fast with the OL 538mm belt.I Did also try the OL belt on my TD160 Super that thorens 50Hz motor & 13mm pulley powered by a Mose/Hercules and it also run way fast.With thorens belt play is almost speed prefect +/- 0.1%
With some electronic powersupplys you can regelate the frequency so its no problem.The Thorens pulleys are 13.8mm on 33rpm .What thickness has the OL belt ?The Thorens belt is 0.76mm.

ddarch

Post by ddarch » 11 Nov 2015 21:54

Disappointed to report OL would not provide me with free sample belts for 160 and 125. Here I am selling over a 100 vintage Thorens turntables a year, buying 1-2 Motor kits from OL a month the past six months, and they won't send me a couple of belts to review? (Not to mention I've got 3500 followers on Facebook and had over 100,000 views of my DIY vids on Youtube)

Oh well...their loss. I'm perfectly happy using the Thorens logo belts for which I am a dealer and for which I never have anything but 100% complete success.

Dave

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 12 Nov 2015 02:36

ddarch wrote:Disappointed to report OL would not provide me with free sample belts for 160 and 125. Here I am selling over a 100 vintage Thorens turntables a year, buying 1-2 Motor kits from OL a month the past six months, and they won't send me a couple of belts to review? (Not to mention I've got 3500 followers on Facebook and had over 100,000 views of my DIY vids on Youtube)

Oh well...their loss. I'm perfectly happy using the Thorens logo belts for which I am a dealer and for which I never have anything but 100% complete success.

Dave
Send them a copy of this thread. I'd be disappointed too. I thought when you bought one of their DC motors the belt was included for your specified TT?

ddarch

Post by ddarch » 12 Nov 2015 11:47

Nah, it is what it is. Like I said, the stock belts always work great for me anyway.