Page 2 of 31

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 29 May 2014 04:12
by jraffety84
That thing looks amazing. Now that I've seen that model, I want one. They seem pretty rare.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 29 May 2014 23:07
by cat9
jraffety84 wrote:That thing looks amazing. Now that I've seen that model, I want one. They seem pretty rare.

Thanks! Getting rarer is what I'm told.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 05 Jun 2014 15:32
by Sir Bakerman
My TD-150 as it is now. Built the plinth myself. Sand filled for mass. Incredible sound.

Sir Bakerman

2731527316

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 05 Jun 2014 18:32
by cat9
Sir Bakerman wrote:My TD-150 as it is now. Built the plinth myself. Sand filled for mass. Incredible sound.

Sir Bakerman

2731527316


Really nice work!! Maple and oak???

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 07 Jun 2014 06:40
by nezbleu
Wow, what a lot of beautiful TD's! I'm realizing I don't have many decent pics of my TD-160, which has been heavily modified and I still consider a work in progress.
DSC_6202.JPG
(409.34 KiB) Downloaded 2036 times
DSC_6209.JPG
(394.07 KiB) Downloaded 2026 times
That's a Thorens-branded RB300 on a NOS arm board. The platter mat was an experiment, I need to make a new (thinner) one and modify the arm board or make a new one to get the VTA right.

Plinth has been reinforced, new bottom plate, inner platter damped, steel top plate damped, subchassis damped. Sounds good, but still a few things I want to do.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 08 Jun 2014 01:04
by jraffety84
I'm looking to drop a RB303 in my 165. I want to take the cueing lever off, but I'm not sure what to do with the existing holes, any suggestions?

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 08 Jun 2014 12:24
by mickb69
jraffety84 wrote:I'm looking to drop a RB303 in my 165. I want to take the cueing lever off, but I'm not sure what to do with the existing holes, any suggestions?
You can get little things that you clip in, like little buttons or blanking whatsits.
I can't remember what they are called but they are a proper thing.
Mine's got one or two, if you scroll up on the other page of this thread you can see it.
Mine has a factory fitted rb250 and what would have been the arm lift is blanked off.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 17:35
by Sir Bakerman
cat9 wrote:
Sir Bakerman wrote:My TD-150 as it is now. Built the plinth myself. Sand filled for mass. Incredible sound.

Sir Bakerman

2731527316


Really nice work!! Maple and oak???

Yes cat9 sorry for the delay. Don't hang out that much in this neck of the woods.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 17 Jul 2014 23:30
by 124sme3009
TD-124/II w/SME3009 Series2 arm and Stanton 380 cart. Showcasing my new plinth design--fabricated steel with open architecture. Plinth sits on custom component rack with 8-bays and all of the wooden bay shelves are placed on pointed spikes for better isolation. The top shelf of the rack is separated from the main rack frame by using squash balls placed on each corner post. Entire rack is filled with daptex (water based foam)rather than sand.

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 04:03
by nel27cain
image.jpg
(420.79 KiB) Downloaded 1888 times
image.jpg
(353.36 KiB) Downloaded 1885 times
instead of upgrading my ar xa tonearm for cueing i got myself a thorens td165.
plinth not the best and spotty metal top but of course the most important thing is the quality of sound this vintage tt produces

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 13:07
by cat9
124sme3009 wrote:TD-124/II w/SME3009 Series2 arm and Stanton 380 cart. Showcasing my new plinth design--fabricated steel with open architecture. Plinth sits on custom component rack with 8-bays and all of the wooden bay shelves are placed on pointed spikes for better isolation. The top shelf of the rack is separated from the main rack frame by using squash balls placed on each corner post. Entire rack is filled with daptex (water based foam)rather than sand.

Really creative!!
Rack, plinth....great work!!

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 15:00
by snfrosten
Some great looking tables here, here's one of mine. Thorens TD 160S with a Jelco ST250 and Signet AM20 cartridge.

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2 ... 9e09db.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2 ... db191c.jpg

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 20 Aug 2014 21:16
by skunkride
Lovely decks here, keep them coming !

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 23 Aug 2014 23:10
by Kei-86
Thorens TD 160B with an SME 3009 Series 2 fitted with a Shure M75ED Type 2 cartridge and jico SAS stylus.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5552/148 ... efc1_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/148 ... 298a_c.jpg

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Posted: 24 Aug 2014 05:02
by nezbleu
That is in superb condition, I love the polish on the zinc platter. Even the dust cover and the hinge pins are perfect! And of course the SME is a perfect match.

Was it equipped with the "dust bug" when you bought it? A lot of them seemed to come with some variation of that.