the home of the turntable

Pictures of your Thorens

music box

Pictures of your Thorens

Postby jraffety84 » 09 Apr 2014 22:42

Hey all:

I was curious to see if anyone else has a custom Thorens in the group? I figured we can post pictures, and I'll start.

Purchased a Thorens that needed some work (still waiting on a part)

Thorens TD 165 and adjustments:

New anti-skate rods (waiting on one yet)
Refinished, thicker plinth
Lined with Dynamat underneath
Cork on bottom of plinth
New 45 adapter (metal)
New mat and cueing rest (Thanks Dave!)
Grado black Z cart

Cleaned all the springs, freshly lubricated, and adjusted. Great bounce to it.

Any ideas about replacement carts? Thinking about metal knobs, anyone think that would look decent?
Attachments
photo.jpg
jraffety84

United States of America

Re: Pictures of your Thorens

Postby user510 » 12 Apr 2014 00:12

The plinth design I call R7. For now I've got an Infinity Black Widow tonearm with ADC XLM II improved moving magnet cartridge mounted.

I've drawn at least a dozen different plinth designs for the Td150. I've settled on this one.

I found that the steel motor plate, as well as the subchassis steel is plated with nickel. I used Mothers mag wheel polish to shine up this top motor plate. I used a decal to cover the cue-knob hole.

The spring suspension has been defeated. Instead of springs, I use the rubber mushrooms from the Td124. This, I believe keeps the motor and platter in a steady unchanging orbit. My choice. I have spent some serious quality time getting a nice uniform up/down bounce when using the standard spring suspension. SQ is good that way...and isolation is the best. But, for me, I think I've got a more articulated and detailed presentation using the mushrooms. But that is just for me.

I like to play around with the little TD150. It is friendly to mod. And....it sounds sweet.

-Steve
user510
contributor

Postby user510 » 12 Apr 2014 00:21

jraffety84 wrote:Hey all:

I was curious to see if anyone else has a custom Thorens in the group? I figured we can post pictures, and I'll start.

Purchased a Thorens that needed some work (still waiting on a part)

Thorens TD 165 and adjustments:

New anti-skate rods (waiting on one yet)
Refinished, thicker plinth
Lined with Dynamat underneath
Cork on bottom of plinth
New 45 adapter (metal)
New mat and cueing rest (Thanks Dave!)
Grado black Z cart

Cleaned all the springs, freshly lubricated, and adjusted. Great bounce to it.

Any ideas about replacement carts? Thinking about metal knobs, anyone think that would look decent?

there are lots of cartridges that will sound better than the Grado Black. But that is a reasonable starting place. The TP11 tonearm is high effective mass at 16G. Look for cartridges with medium to low compliance ratings. High compliance cartridges will put your arm/cart resonance frequency too low and become a foot-fall issue. And could give some woofer-pumping issues.

Perhaps a DV 10x5 should work nicely with a compliance rating of 12.

-Steve
user510
contributor

Postby jraffety84 » 12 Apr 2014 00:32

Thanks for the suggestions Steve.

I was actually looking for a Black Widow, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I was also thinking of dropping in a Denon 103. Thoughts on that match?

Also, where to find a Black Widow? I found one on eBay, but the seller wants somewhere around $700, which I'm thinking is a bit too much.
jraffety84

United States of America

Postby user510 » 12 Apr 2014 00:54

jraffety84 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Steve.

I was actually looking for a Black Widow, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I was also thinking of dropping in a Denon 103. Thoughts on that match?

Also, where to find a Black Widow? I found one on eBay, but the seller wants somewhere around $700, which I'm thinking is a bit too much.

Pricing on a BW. Less than $400. Less than $300. Sometimes eBay. Sometimes you find that people you know have them stashed away. But.........

The Black Widow, cool as it is, is very limited as to the cartridges you may use with it. The effective mass of the BW arm is around 4grams. One of the lowest, if not the lowest mass arm ever. Any cartridge choice will need to have a compliance rating of 20 at the lowest and as high as 40. The ADC XLM II is a classic choice for the BW arm. But those are only available 2nd hand, and are, on occasion, found as NOS.

For the TP11 the Dl-103 seems like a good match-up on paper. However, if you want to try that make certain the the pivot bearings are cleaned and well adjusted. Otherwise the stiff suspension of that Denon cart will rattle the hell out of those bearing balls. (killing sound quality)
user510
contributor

Postby xbartxhome » 12 Apr 2014 01:30

_DSC8755rev.jpg

Here is a picture of my newly acquired TD 160 mkII.
I built the the new wood sides into the a thicker bottom plate I made for it.
I thought it came out pretty good, I'm also really enjoying the table.
xbartxhome

Postby xbartxhome » 12 Apr 2014 01:31

_DSC8758rev.jpg

Here is a picture of the base.
xbartxhome

Postby goatbreath » 12 Apr 2014 09:48

Mine still sounds a bit closed in ,,you know a bit constricted and soggy..I haven't got the subchassis damped and the armboard is the plastic one that the turntable came with..I have a big thick marine ply base..The mat is the same type as the earlier TD160 mark one,,the heavy mark 2 mat closed things in further..Hard mounting the SME 3s without the rubber grommets improved things..Maybe damping the subchassis and getting a metal armboard would help...Not sure about that one...Pictured here with custom plinth,,Russ Collinson,,with SME series 3s and Shure V15 mk 3 with Jico SAS..

I had a Hadcock GH220 on it before,,but it lacked bass I felt..It still sounded a bit closed in and soggy.....
goatbreath
long player
long player

Postby goatbreath » 12 Apr 2014 09:58

Here it is with the Hadcock and before the plinth with Hadcock..The plinth definitely did improve things soundwise...Thinking about it,,the Hadcock was mounted with a metal armboard so the slight closed in thing is not that....14245142411403214035
goatbreath
long player
long player

Postby terry-a » 12 Apr 2014 15:17

These have been posted already, but this looks like a good place to post them again.
terry-a

United States of America

Postby jraffety84 » 12 Apr 2014 22:31

Hey Goatbreath:

That Hadcock tonearm looks really rad. Does anybody know how much they are? Somehow I've never heard of Hadcock.
jraffety84

United States of America

Postby goatbreath » 13 Apr 2014 03:39

The Hadcock Arm is a GH220ss,,it is a gimbal arm,not a unipivot like the GH228..They don't make the GH220 now..Available secondhand on Ebay sometimes,,luckily not that collectible,,because everyone associates the name Hadcock with unipivots the GH220 can be a bit of a bargain,,I have saw them go for £200 or so..The unipivots are about £700 new which I think are over priced..Overpriced because of delicacy of build,,not because of sound quality..

Hadcocks sound delicate and airy in general,just for some reason not so much on this Thorens....Detailed but not a powerful sounding arm,,although the GH220 can still sound tight compared to the blurry 3009,,if used with a fine tipped diamond,,the Hadcock GH220 has an almost surgical sounding treble,,not in an over bearing or bad way,,just very precise,,a touch light in the bass in undamped tube form,,better in many ways than the SME 3009 soundwise I reckon,,well I owned both and did a comparison and the Hadcock beat it by miles..A bit fiddly to set up though and very D.I.Y-ish,,the tags will definitely have fell off if the arm is secondhand..George Hadcock used to rewire my arm for me,,he has now sadly passed on..He was a lovely guy..

He made the GH220 for his TD160 b mk2..That is what he told me..The original SS designation meant stainless steel,,the arm tubes were filled with silicone sealant I think it was,,better for medium to low compliance moving magnets and moving coils,,this set up wasn't so bass light in balance..probably about the same mass as a Rega RB arm in that guise I reckon,,a bit above 10 grams,,the black tubes were un-damped aluminium and the effective mass was 5 to 6 grams in that form..Mine is actually an undamped Stainless Steel tube,,hence SS,,I think they are using those in the new 228s..

The GH220ss first came out in the very early 1980s,,about 1981 I think and was only built for a few years..It was reissued for a short period in 1997,,they we sensibly priced during that run also as were the 228s. The first Hadcocks appeared in the mid to late 1960s..Called the Unipoise,,Some straight,some S arm,,the design changed a lot and constantly apparently,,a bit of an eccentric inventor was Old George..Haha!!,,but as I say,,a lovely Man..He phoned me at about 5 AM in the morning once on my opinion on his new damping he had put in my rewired arm tube..He was excited like a kid,,I was woken up and barely knew where I was,,he was brilliant,,Haha!!!..He worked in Aircraft design originally,,I think it was for Handley-Page..140391403114030
goatbreath
long player
long player

Postby mickb69 » 13 Apr 2014 09:07

This is my TD 166 mkvi BC, it has a rega rb250 tonearm, with rewire.
I replaced the hardboard base with MDF, sprayed Matte black,
And made an isolation platform.
https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/mickb69/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0547_zpsf14b8039.jpg

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/mickb69/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0545_zps8fee8b59.jpg
Next to come is a better end stub and counterweight
Funk firm vector, Audiomods classic II, shure M95ED jico SAS, graham slee gram amp 2 SE... Exposure 1010 integrated amp... Mordaunt short MS904, Glade Scented Candles & Nescafe vanilla/caramel/irish cream latte
mickb69
long player
long player

England

Postby markcass » 14 Apr 2014 00:18

Hi

Mine's a bit scruffy compared with some of these :D! It's a TD160B Mk II fitted with a rewired Rega RB250 (with an RB300 counterweight/stub) and was running an Ortofon Samba MC when this shot was taken. The brass armboard came from E-bay. I subsequently refitted the standard spacers underneath it, as the ones supplied were too tall.

I removed the switch/speed-change mechanism underneath and fitted a simple push-switch; the capacitors (phase and suppression) both had to be replaced. The springs and grommets were removed and cleaned. The sub-platter is damped with an MDF disc from Joel, who also supplied his lubrication kit. The deck had various damping materials applied to the top-plate and sub-chassis by a previous owner. These looked difficult to remove so I left them. The plinth is the standard one but with a piece of wood shelving replacing the hardboard bottom cover - it was an offcut that just happened to be the right size. There's a gap at the back, as the wood isn't quite wide enough, which gives space to dress the arm cable for a good bounce. I fitted self-adhesive rubber feet to the new base.

Mark

Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck+Origin Live Onyx. Ortofon Quintet Black S>Lounge Audio Copla step up+Lounge Audio LCR Mk III. Arcam A28>KEF R100. Sennheiser HD600. Marantz CD6005
markcass
long player
long player
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby cat9 » 29 May 2014 01:06

Just purchased - from the original owner.
TD147 Jubilee

T -7.jpg
Liv. Rm. - Luxman L450 Integrated / Sherwood S-2400 Tuner / Dynaco A35 speakers
Main Lis. Rm - Luxman L480 Integrated / Luxman T33 Tuner / Steve Frosten custom AR XB with Denon 301MKII / Triton 7's
cat9

Canada

Next

Return to Thorens