Thorens Overhaul Guide

music box
JaS
engine room
engine room

Thorens Overhaul Guide

Post by JaS » 05 Nov 2004 07:51

Thanks to Docjowe for passing on this overhaul guide written by Joel Boutreux, a former employee of Thorens. Contact details can be found in the document summary.

> download <

Regards,
JaS

Balle Clorin

Post by Balle Clorin » 06 Nov 2004 07:37

:D :D Perfect :D :D
many thanks
Balle

punkuk

Post by punkuk » 20 Dec 2004 02:16

Nice One!

clearnights

RE:document summary

Post by clearnights » 30 Jul 2005 00:08

Being new to this site I am still learning how to use it. Can someone tell me where the document summary is for the thorens overhaul guide so that I can get the contact info. More specifically, where do you get the oil that Joel mentions?

clearnights

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 30 Jul 2005 07:28

Hi,
If you save the file to disk then reopen it in Acrobat you will find Joels email address in File-Properties. You can order the oil direct from him.

Regards,
JaS

clearnights

thanks

Post by clearnights » 31 Jul 2005 02:14

Thanks for the help Jas. I contacted Joel. Also, the process is started with paypal (I am a newbie there too).

clearnights

0albertine

Post by 0albertine » 12 Sep 2006 19:44

Hi,

Thank you very, very much for your advice about Thorens keep a live.
From France.
Serge

doug_olitsky

My td-125 II jackpot

Post by doug_olitsky » 25 Oct 2006 02:37

Hi all;

This weekend I finally fell prey the calling of the black disc and bought a very nice unit totally stock.

While visiting w/ the seller and listening to vinyl for a few hours he produced some door prizes for me...

- three carts one being a Shure V15xMR (new stylus on order)
- a pair of Allison III's (just need a refoam)
- and ANOTHER 125 Mk II (quite dirty but cleaned up just great)

All for the price if the one table, and a hell of a nice guy.

This is what I'm looking to do....(I have the service manual and circuit board parts list).

I'm putting in an order at Digi-Key soon for parts for the TT and for a McIntosh MC2200 that I just got too. So tell me what to put on the shopping list

On the circuit board I just want to replace any worn, tired components, and so far I will swap out the two 1000uF 'lytic caps. Is there anything else I should change?

Leave the resistors or change to better metal foil? What about that 0.3 watt rating and some of the odd values?

I will recalibrate speeds after new components are in.

Here are my questions on some odd behavior I noticed...

1-
On both units the strobe does not turn on right away. This happens when its the first listening of the day or its been off for a while, after that it comes on right away. Normal or something needs a replacement?

2-
The mint unit starts a bit slower, but the belt is also a bit streched compared to the other. My guess new belt.

3-
The second "gift" table stops sometimes and you need to play w/the speed switch to get it going again. Sometimes the idler just jumps back and forth. Red pitch control is almost fully to the "+" mark. This unit has not been turned on in years and was stored in a musty basement. Although today it didn't act up...yet

So far I have done the following to both...

cleaned out the bearing wells and refilled w/ 30 weight motor oil. Should I use something else.. some have mentioned Marvel Mystery Oil

De-Oxit on the speed selector contacts

one drop of oil on each end of the motor shaft

THANKS for all the help, I can'twait to get these bad boys spinning again!

Doug

doug_olitsky

Post by doug_olitsky » 25 Oct 2006 03:19

UPDATE :!:

The second 125 stopped spinning after 2 hours. I moved the speed switch and it started right up again.

doug_olitsky

think I found the problem

Post by doug_olitsky » 02 Nov 2006 01:11

I was puttin in the new 'lytics this evening and think I found the problem why the table stops... capacitor C8 (0.1 uf 160v 5%) is shot! One end is ruptured.

What type of cap should I use to replace w/? I live near Zalytron and they have solen tin foils and the regular solens, or should I use an orange drop... or something else?

Doug

violette

Post by violette » 25 Oct 2007 12:59

Hello Thorens Lovers
You can get by Sintron all the original Thorens item , like belt , oil , Maintenance kit and also for old Player
If you have difficulty with your Thorens or need some maintenance product for the old Player tell me.
My oil and hardmetal plate can only buy by me if you need some , I make these product myself (they are an adaptation od the original) after so much years it is necessairy and if you want the original Belt or Oil just tell me.
Kind Regards
Joel

Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman » 04 Feb 2008 01:16

Wow that's a lot of info in such a short time.....

The Thorens download is very interesting and I must contact Viollete in the near future to get some of his oil and perhaps a better suited belt. The cork platter mat looks a good next step.

The question of comparisions between the TD2001 and the systemdek electronic/akito is, I would agree not that clear cut. I have heard both T/T's with the goldring 1042 in operation and thought the systemdek was a little better however I hadnt installed either of the cartridges so couldn't confirm the quality of the instalation. I think the AT440ml may well have to be tried in both by myself at some stage as I havnt found it quite so critical of instalation parameters as the goldring.

I do think that in the context of the system that it is found in the TD2001 may well get a Denon 110 fairly soon as it is a good all rounder without the brightness of the AT440ml(or its detail levels in all honesty).

So no one thinks that a change of arm board and fit a Rega 300 it would appear. I thought that was popular in German, perhaps not

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 24 Mar 2008 08:25

Jas,
This is a big help you should put it back as a Sticky
Robert

Denim

Post by Denim » 26 Mar 2009 12:55

Hello people!
Is everything ok with Joel Boutreux? He stop selling his "Joel's kits for Thorens" on ebay...

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt » 27 Jul 2009 23:15

Hi Folks,
Just confirming Joel is still selling parts.

I contacted him by email and he sent a TD150 kit & thrustplate to me in the UK very quickly and ar a very reasonable price.

I wish to thank him for his support and his communication is excellent.

Gerry