Guide To Rewiring The Thorens Tp16 - Tp11 Tonearm

music box
cement_head

Re: Guide To Rewiring The Thorens Tp16 - Tp11 Tonearm

Post by cement_head » 20 Dec 2018 16:34

soulmerchant wrote:
10 Dec 2018 19:47
ok, I got it all out now. Here are some tips for the next time....

1. use a blunt nail that is the same size or a little narrower than the holding pin. you will probably need a hammer to get it to move at the start.
2. push from the bottom to the top (in case you make scratches, the bottom is better).
3. after you get the darn pin out, heat the socket with a hot air gun. pull like the dickens...
4. If you manage to get a tiny crack between the armwand and connector, you can use a knife (or in my case a sharp chisel) to work around and make the tiny gap bigger.

Now that I have it out, I can confirm that one of the wires is dead.... its not just the connector. probably some kind of fatigue after all the years. lovely, now I am looking for some tonearm litz... :)
http://www.cardas.com/34awg_clear_tonearm.php

soulmerchant
Switzerland

Post by soulmerchant » 22 Dec 2018 21:31

Hi cement_head. I actually ended up using some other tonearm litz I still had in stock. It was from sme, but still really fine.

Ian

cement_head

Post by cement_head » 22 Dec 2018 21:57

soulmerchant wrote:
22 Dec 2018 21:31
Hi cement_head. I actually ended up using some other tonearm litz I still had in stock. It was from sme, but still really fine.

Ian
Glad it worked out! Did you eliminate the "buzz"?

Trius
Canada

Post by Trius » 19 Jan 2019 21:23

electroworks wrote:
13 Jan 2017 04:48
I had to hammer to remove the tonearm pin on my TP11. I could not come up with another way.
* Everyone, let me know if this is insanity :shock:

Move the headshell fixing nut out of the way.
Rest the tonearm socket housing on a block of wood that has a small hole in it, so the pin can poke out the bottom side. Do not support or rest the tonearm tube on the block, so it sees no force. Only the socket housing is supported.

I took a small finishing nail, filed down the sharp point, and gently and patiently tapped on it with a small hammer to force the pin to move.
Once it was partially out, I gave it a tug with pliers and the pin slid out.

The only other possibility I can guess is to heat up the tonearm socket housing to expand it and allow the steel pin to move easier. Without melting the socket etc.

This was the step that I was stuck on until I noticed this post - thanks! I completed the disassembly today and was pretty chuffed that I didn't break anything or incur personal injury. Thank you!

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z2XUkOMG6ck/ ... 4IHGSg.jpg

I have some Cardas wire on order that should arrive Tuesday. I'm going to dispense with the original DIN plug in the arm to shed some weight and make the job easier. The DIN connector came out quite easily - no glue or gunk, and no real effort to slide it out.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G3040YQYNLc/ ... gBNzlw.jpg

I am doing a complete restoration/resurrection of my TD-160C that has sat unused for many years. It was so sad looking that I decided not to send it to Vinyl Nirvana because I'd be embarrassed for Dave to see it in such a state! Everything is disassembled now, and I've even removed the top beauty plate and its adhesives. I have a new plate coming from Germany.

The sub-chassis is already damped, and I am thinking I will also damping the underside of the top plate. Maybe that's overkill?

I've also purchased some parts from Vinyl Nirvana, including a new spring set. The old springs are fine except for some corrosion, but the new set includes fresh hardware for the small end.

cement_head

Post by cement_head » 19 Jan 2019 21:50

Awesome, good luck with the entire project!

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 30 May 2019 20:45

Anyone who takes the time & trouble to send us photos of their sonic adventures gets my Big Thanks - I've done it a couple of times and know how time-consuming (and sometimes frustrating) it can be. Thanks, dlamprou :-) I have a TP14, which although older, looks like it's designed along similar lines, so your story is a big help.

hebridean
Scotland

Post by hebridean » 19 Sep 2019 12:49

Here's my tuppenceworth after carrying out the rewire using cardas wire. Everything that's been said still stands as a guide however i wanted to reuse the plastic grommet that contains the four clips. I found an easy though time consuming way of doing it. Take the gromet out and cut off the wires and note at the headshell connecting end that theres a lip. This is where i cut round very slowly with a junior hacksaw. You will cut into the clips about a third of their diametre and need to reuse them as i couldn't find exact replacements and they need to be exact to fit. Once this has been done the x shaped centre piece will come out. Thread the new wires through and resolder them onto the old clips and using jewelers files clean up the solder and give the x shaped piece a wee rub. Now this is where patience is needed in reinserting the clips into the plastic unit. Put the tonearm pin into the two plastic pieces holding them together making sure that the wires are in the correct sequence and i also marked the top side so i would know which side to present to the arm when reassembling. Gently try inserting the wires and if a clip won't enter take a look at it's form and file or straighten. You might find it easier to place all the clips on the x and insert the lot at the one time. When they're all in they should be protruding a couple of mm and you now fit the front circular piece that was sawn off. I used a tiny amount of superglue and applied more round the outside after the initial gluing had set. On reassembling insert this into the tonearm with the pin first and try presenting the headshell. If it's not connecting meeting resistance take a small drill bit to the clips as it's probably a lip created at the hacksawing proceedure. Once this is ok then carry on as per the previous posts. I've included some images which i hope will help. Haha the images are in reverse sequence bottom to top.
Attachments
rewire 4.jpg
(104.11 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
rewire 3.jpg
(114.39 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
rewire 2.jpg
(166.29 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
rewire 1.jpg
(221.75 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Camshaft007
United States of America