Upgrade Route

music box
hebridean
Scotland

Upgrade Route

Post by hebridean » 19 Jan 2020 16:20

So i've restored two TD145's giving one to my daughter and i'm now looking to upgrade or another challenge as there allways seems to be something needing done to these used purchases.
Anyway i fancy a TD126 next as i'm a big fan of the auto stop mechanism on the TD145's and like to have that feature in the next turntable. There's also Luxman's that look interesting, but i'd need to do some more research on them. Going back to the TD126 i've been reading posts regarding the dc unit on the mk111 being problematic but to be fair others have extolled it's virtues, and setting the speed correctly is another issue. So what do you good people on Vinylengine think?

blekenbleu
United States of America

Re: Upgrade Route

Post by blekenbleu » 20 Jan 2020 02:41

If you get one that works after so many years, then it will likely continue working.
Thorens did go back to AC motors after the mkIII; those DC parts are relatively scarce, if ever needed..

I bought one of the last new TD126 mkII, before stock ran out, rather than risk a mkIII,
about which there were already unflattering rumors.

hebridean
Scotland

Post by hebridean » 20 Jan 2020 22:39

Thanks for your reply Blekenbleu, food for thought. I've noticed that the surviving mk111's are selling for a bit less than the others and discovered that the dc motor was also used on a few other models. It would make sense to get a hold of a replacement motor I suppose, but then again the same could be said for a lot of elderly turntables.

blekenbleu
United States of America

Post by blekenbleu » 21 Jan 2020 15:45

hebridean wrote:
20 Jan 2020 22:39
It would make sense to get a hold of a replacement motor I suppose,
but then again the same could be said for a lot of elderly turntables.

I suspect that drive electronics failed more often than motor bushings or windings,
and at least some winding failures were provoked by drive faults.
If the motor is not vibrating and lubrication is maintained,
then a lesser concern is smaller platter spindle than earlier versions.

user510

Re: TD126-III

Post by user510 » 30 Jan 2020 00:56

I am currently evaluating a TD126 mkIII. As I understand it, the mkIII version of the TD126 has received some negative remarks regarding its DC motor and controller. However I can also find positive reviews in the audio press about it from the day. Keep in mind that the 126-III is introduced a couple of years after the Technics SP10 mkII appeared. And the Technics has been highly regarded. Direct drive versus belt drive in 1978. I suspect that Thorens made an attempt to improve the TD126 in terms of start up speed as well as wow/flutter spec. in order to better compete with the new SP10 mkII.

The DC motor in the TD126III is called a 72 pole Tachogenerator motor. It is also used on two other Thorens models from that period, the TD105 and the TD115. So if motors are hard to find for the mkIII one might find another specimen from donors courtesy of the other two models.

With regard to my example, I might be lucky because my sample appears to be working correctly. From a cold start it achieves a steady strobe in 3 revs. Compare that to the previous models of TD126 or TD125. Also, I can compare the sound of the TD126III to TD160 and TD150 players I have had my hands on. The 72 pole Tachogenerator motor is rated at 8 watts and you can tell just by listening to this player that it has more momentum to its drive in terms of slam and driving rhythm. Compared to a well sorted Td124 (idler) it has a bit less slam and drive. But the TD126-III offers a much quieter back ground.

Presently I have disconnected the semi-auto functions on my unit so that I can use my Graham 2.2 tonearm on it. At present I have a Denon DL-103R LOMC cartridge mounted to the Graham. Based on my experience so far, I am considering putting a much better (and more expensive) LOMC cartridge on it because I am impressed with the sound as I now have it configured. In short, I feel it deserves a much better tonearm than the Tp16 that it came with.

I believe that back in the day Thorens arranged for the semi auto features to work on a couple of different SME tonearms. In particular the SME 3009 SIII. But also I suspect there is a way to get the SII arms working with the semi-auto. I think at one time Rolf Kelch managed to get the semi-auto working with a SME IV. I'm not certain if anyone else knows how to do that.

On the other hand, just because I got lucky and happened upon a correctly operating TD126-III, it doesn't mean that you will. I'd be suspicious of it until you get to see one operate for yourself, then decide if you want to take it home. I don't know of anyone that actually advertises to work on the electronics of this (mkIII) model. Perhaps others on this forum can suggest someone that knows how to properly adjust one of these players into correct operation.

-Steve

hebridean
Scotland

Post by hebridean » 31 Jan 2020 01:23

Many thanks Steve for your comprehensive appraisal af the td126, with a lot of good pointers that I'll refer to in my quest.