The Sound of My Platter Rotation

music box
dr. chemical

The Sound of My Platter Rotation

Post by dr. chemical » 08 Jan 2020 19:56

Hi,
I have an issue with my Thorens TD 145 MK1. There is a very slight scuffing sound and a vary faint tick (once per rotation) as my platter spins. I had the same result when I removed the top platter. I'm thinking that the spindle bearing needs to be cleaned and oiled but honestly, I am not sure that is the antidote. Also, I have a sub platter that doesn't just lift off and am dreading having to get underneath to remove it. All in all a real pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: The Sound of My Platter Rotation

Post by lenjack » 08 Jan 2020 20:20

Did you check the service manual in the Library? Perhaps it shows how to remove the sub platter.

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 08 Jan 2020 20:32

lenjack, I did do some searching and believe that there is a screw and metal clip that needs to be removed first but due to a reattached anti skate on the tonearm, I don't like getting underneath if I can help it. Would prefer know what that ticking sound is before operating.

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 08 Jan 2020 20:35

If you take the outer platter off and put back upside-down, does the ticking go away when the turntable runs? Is the sound heard through the speakers, or just mechanically from the turntable?

What's the height between the platter and the top plate? On mine I set to something like 5-6mm; if yours is less, it could be that the platter is just catching on the motor safety post.

I've had 'tables where the motor ticks, but not the platter!

Steph

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 08 Jan 2020 21:43

I'm not at all familiar with your turntable, but I'd be surprised if removing the sub platter would involve messing with the antiskate spring, but I haven't looked at the service manual. I appreciate that you want to know what the noise is before you remove the sub platter, but the reality is, that it might be the only way to find out. I'm out of my element here, and you'd best wait for others to advise.

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 09 Jan 2020 01:15

stephdale, no not from the speakers but a mechanical sound from the sub platter. The consistent “click” is mechanical and very slight, I really have to listen closely to hear it. The other noticeable sound of rubbing as the platter rotates is also very slight. I don’t want to use it until it gets resolved.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Jan 2020 04:29

I think that you will, at least, have to remove the sub-platter, and clean and oil the bearing.

Cheers,
Alec

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 09 Jan 2020 06:49

Thanks Alec.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 09 Jan 2020 14:27

Is this 'tick' really from the bearing ? That scuffing and 'tick' sounds indeed more like a typical platter on the top plate contact at every rotation. But since it happens with the platter off, this is not the case.

Could it not be from a motor knock (also under the platter) actually ? Anyway, try to hear if it's really from the sub platter shaft side or if it could be from the motor. This is also a classic fixable Thorens motor issue.

Remember reading that some TD's models had a little collar 'ring' holding the sub platter into the shaft bearing well. Never had one but I guess that it's clipped and must be unclipped to slide the sub platter off.

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 09 Jan 2020 17:25

I'm not yet convinced it's the bearing either. Much more likely to be the motor and not always solvable...
tlscapital wrote:
09 Jan 2020 14:27
Remember reading that some TD's models had a little collar 'ring' holding the sub platter into the shaft bearing well. Never had one but I guess that it's clipped and must be unclipped to slide the sub platter off.
The ring and clip seems to only be on early turntables from this series; my TD 160 B also has one. Unfortunately the clip is screwed to the sub chassis from underneath/inside. So it'll still mean removing the baseplate of the plinth.

Steph

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 09 Jan 2020 18:06

StephDale wrote:
09 Jan 2020 17:25
I'm not yet convinced it's the bearing either. Much more likely to be the motor and not always solvable...
tlscapital wrote:
09 Jan 2020 14:27
The ring and clip seems to only be on early turntables from this series; my TD 160 B also has one. Unfortunately the clip is screwed to the sub chassis from underneath/inside. So it'll still mean removing the baseplate of the plinth.

Steph
Same here. Picturing the 'scuffing' sound from the shaft I can but not the 'tick'. Motor's that knock can be fixed by a venturous experienced tweaker (not me though, I've read that and seen tutorials) or there's the 'stop knocking' device that seem efficient enough one can purchase on tintenet...

As for accessing on the inside of the TD turntable will evidently involve first to flip it upside down (with care and caution on many thing like removing the headshell, the counterweight, the sub platter and obstructing the shaft bearing well for it not to spill oil) and the remove the base plate. EazzzzyyyyY !

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 09 Jan 2020 21:52

Thanks, to all so far for the advice. Or, does anyone know a Thorens repair guy near Cincinnati OH?

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 09 Jan 2020 22:04

I didn't think of this but I should keep the table in the off mode, take off the belt and the platter and then spin the sub platter to see if I hear it without the motor running. I'm currently at work but later tonight I'll try that to see and then report my findings. Why didn't think of that before?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 09 Jan 2020 23:13

dr. chemical wrote:
09 Jan 2020 22:04
I didn't think of this but I should keep the table in the off mode, take off the belt and the platter and then spin the sub platter to see if I hear it without the motor running. I'm currently at work but later tonight I'll try that to see and then report my findings. Why didn't think of that before?
Yes, why not but maybe just to have the belt off and the platter on in order to have the same weight/force on the thrust bearing plate if it should be at fault. Although likely not. Give this a try sure.

dr. chemical

Post by dr. chemical » 10 Jan 2020 04:52

tiscapital, well I suppose it's good news; I spun the sub platter without the motor and then placed the top platter and gave it a spin and I heard nothing, dead silence. I cleaned the belt, etc... and ran it with the motor. I still hear some noise however that consistent 'click' disappeared. Maybe it's normal that the motor makes a little noise? Also, I see you're listed as being in Brussels. I like visiting the college town of Leuven, just twenty minutes away. Would love being able to teach at the University of Leuven. Best.