Selling Thorens 321 and 521 questions...

music box
sausagecreature
Great Britain

Selling Thorens 321 and 521 questions...

Post by sausagecreature » 04 Jan 2020 11:35

Hi Thorens fans.
Just an idle curiosity..

Having recently returned to vinyl and had a growing interest in better decks than I had as a youngster, I can see myself going in the same direction as lots of others here whereby I end up having more turntables than I need. Possibly adding an LP12 and maybe a TD 160 at some point later this year.

So, in the even that I want to clear space, I would expect an LP12 to be an easy-ish sell online/second hand. How about my 321 and 521 - are they going to be much harder to sell on (should I decide that i want to)? Is the Thorens market very niche and small or are they widely sought after?

I appreciate there is no clear and concrete answer, just curious to see what people think.

Thanks
Mark

StephDale
Great Britain

Re: Selling Thorens 321 and 521 questions...

Post by StephDale » 04 Jan 2020 22:39

Mark,

I think the only thing to do is to try looking through suitable on-line resources like auction sites, sales lists, etc and see how much they've actually been selling for at the point you want to sell.

Steph

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 08 Jan 2020 18:47

Hi Steph,
yes good idea. Not so much worried about selling price, as actually being able to find a buyer. TBH, I think I am a Thorens kind of guy now, and Linn feels like the dark side to me. I have really bonded with my 321, the 521 still needs a bit more time for me to fall in love. Really really really really like the 321 (don't think I could sell it).
However, I not sure i can justify keeping 3 Thorens :) (in the event I get a 160 as well). So I was just curious if they are so niche that they are not easy to move on. Looking on ebay, a lot seem to get relisted.

Cheers
Mark

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 08 Jan 2020 20:21

Mark,

I think that's a fair observation. To be honest, the 32x and 52x 'tables seem to be consistently under-rated/valued. They're not new enough to be 'new', nor old enough to be 'vintage' in the same way that the TD1xx 'tables are. They're also much less 'tweakable' than the other Thorens tables, so the DIY-ers and enthusiasts take less interest (probably mostly a good thing!). And, let's be honest, their appearance is a little dated now.

What I will say is that the 521 is the table that will 'grow' with you. Look at the sort of arms and cartridges that were common on them when new and consider the sort of gear they were used with. Mine has seen off well-known and highly-regarded 'tables. Of course, you need to work some of that out for yourself and your system!

And don't give up on the LP12, if you want to try. If you can stump up the readies to get one, I suspect you'd be unlikely to lose money if you decided you wanted to sell it. There are a few others like that including the Roksan Xerxes and Michell Gyrodec and Orbe. Which reminds me, I should really be selling my Gyro...

Steph

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 09 Jan 2020 15:59

Morning,
not as dated as I am :) I know what you mean, but I actually think the cover is the thing that doesn't have the best aesthetics, and that the plinth, platter and arm all look quite contemporary (ish) to me. To be honest, I have often thought that some of the TD 1xx tables look far more dated, but I still love the way they look.

I like what you say about not old or new enough/no enthusiast following, and all that has enabled me to pick up what I consider a bargain on the 321, less so on the 5, but I am ok with that. The 321 sounds so bloody good. It was put together by a chap who was spent more money on hifi than most people spend on a house :)

I will certainly start to familiarise myself with the varying 521 options, and this should be a good learning curve that will help me understand a little more if and when a LP12 comes along. Lp12 culture is a bit mind boggling to me, (so many variations/price points/models etc).....and rightly or wrongly there is a small part of my brain that says the LP12 is a record deck that is bought by knowledgeable audiophiles as well as another group - people with little knowledge that have enough money...it prevents them having to research or learn - an easy and default decision/"go-to option" for "more money than sense folks" :) Not meaning to be rude. I also have things that i bought on reputation rather than having the knowledge to discern what is best for me.

Crikey, how many have you got?

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 09 Jan 2020 20:06

sausagecreature wrote:
09 Jan 2020 15:59
Crikey, how many have you got?
Probably 'several', but not as much as 'many'. :lol:

Most are Thorens...

Steph

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 12 Jan 2020 09:28

There are many ingredients to a happy life, and that sounds like one of them ;)

colver

Post by colver » 22 Jan 2020 16:09

Hi Mark, just seen your post on selling your 2 Thorens. I've been considering selling mine too but finding it hard to let go. The 321 is a good TT and worth quite a few hundred pounds. However, a 521 is a rare and valuable beast. I've seen that TT going up to about £2500. I would love one but way out my price range. If they look and sound good, keep them and enjoy them!
Hi Thorens fans.
Just an idle curiosity..

Having recently returned to vinyl and had a growing interest in better decks than I had as a youngster, I can see myself going in the same direction as lots of others here whereby I end up having more turntables than I need. Possibly adding an LP12 and maybe a TD 160 at some point later this year.

So, in the even that I want to clear space, I would expect an LP12 to be an easy-ish sell online/second hand. How about my 321 and 521 - are they going to be much harder to sell on (should I decide that i want to)? Is the Thorens market very niche and small or are they widely sought after?

I appreciate there is no clear and concrete answer, just curious to see what people think.

Thanks
Mark
[/quote]
Last edited by colver on 22 Jan 2020 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

colver

Post by colver » 22 Jan 2020 16:11

Hi Mark, just seen your post on selling your 2 Thorens. I've been considering selling mine too but finding it hard to let go. The 321 is a good and uncommon TT and worth quite a few hundred pounds. However, a 521 is a rare and valuable beast. I've seen that TT going up to about £2500. I would love one but way out my price range. If they look and sound good, keep them and enjoy them!
Hi Thorens fans.
Just an idle curiosity..

Thanks
Mark
[/quote]

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 30 Jan 2020 08:06

Hi Colver,
:-) I need a bigger house in that case, which means a bigger job, which means a bigger headache and less time to listen :)

Did someone ever say "clear the decks" :-) One day one of them will be sold to make room for something else. Probably the 521 to free up the money for the next one. But not for a while.
Mark